Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sasa_kiki87
    • By sasa_kiki87 16th Oct 19, 10:27 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sasa_kiki87
    Ivy
    • 16th Oct 19, 10:27 AM
    Ivy 16th Oct 19 at 10:27 AM
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a new house. I noticed that one of the fences has ivy growing quite out of control from my side of the boundary.

The neighbour recently told me that the ivy has destroyed the fence and is growing up the side of her house. She has asked the 2 previous owners to sort this but they never did.

We currently don't have any spare finances to deal with this, also I like the privacy the ivy gives to that side of my garden. Plus her garden is an absolute mess so she clearly hasn't tried cutting back the ivy from their side.

She claims I own the fence, although my title deeds are silent on the matter. I want to know if I am obliged to do anything, or can I just give her permission to get it sorted if she wants to and she pays for it herself.

I don't sound like a very good neighbour, but I have too many other things falling apart in the house to deal with right now!
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Oct 19, 12:11 AM
    • 29,799 Posts
    • 102,870 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:11 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:11 AM
    You have a right to grow ivy, and if your neighbour says it's your fence, you can grow it up that if you wish.

Your neighbour has a right to cut back any ivy which grows on her side of the fence.

That's most of what can be said. The rest is up to your social skills, especially in the matter of determining what really lies behind the neighbour's focus on this topic!
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

• Paula Smith
    • By Paula Smith 17th Oct 19, 11:35 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Paula Smith
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:35 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:35 AM
    The vertical fenceposts are usually on the side that owns the fence - not always the case but a general indicator.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 15,613 Thanks
    Farway
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    If the ivy growing up the side of her house starts on your ground maybe just for neighbourliness cut the main stems that go onto her house
    No need to try & remove it, it'll slowly die & drop off

Otherwise if the ivy on her house starts on her land then it's up to her to sort it
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 18th Oct 19, 7:28 AM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:28 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:28 AM
    The vertical fenceposts are usually on the side that owns the fence - not always the case but a general indicator.
    Originally posted by Paula Smith
    While that is traditionally the case, it seems to be increasingly common for fences to be constructed the other way around. I guess this allows whoever is doing the work to do it from the owner’s side and it allows the owner to see the “finished” side of the fence. It may be pragmatic, but it always looks wrong to me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

6,466Users online

Martin's Twitter