Does selling a 1p item on Ebay cost me 30p?

Hi all,

So I'm planning to have a clear out soon prior to Christmas and some items I'd list at start 1p, as worst case scenario I'd be okay with selling for that (free collection or plus p and p charges).

I know that Paypal charge fees (standard plus %) but if I sell for 1p or a similar low amount, will I be charged their usual 30p transaction fee? As that would mean I'm at a loss of 29p?

As I have quite a few things to list so that could all add up.

TIA

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I know that Paypal charge fees (standard plus %) but if I sell for 1p or a similar low amount, will I be charged their usual 30p transaction fee? As that would mean I'm at a loss of 29p?

Private sellers get the first 1000 listings fee and they're 35p after that. You then pay a percentage of the final value and then Paypal fees.

Neither Ebay or Paypal care if you're losing money so there isn't a transaction threshold.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you really aren't bothered about making a profit then I would start bids at £1 plus P&P so you at least cover Ebay & paypal fees even if it goes for £1.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I thought it was 20p fee from Paypal. Plus ebay charge 10% including the postage cost.

I'd suggest you list for £0.99

Use this to check https://finalfeecalc.co.uk/

For example, if the postage costs £2.00, then you would need to sell for 54p to ensure no losses.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    tallmansix wrote: »
    I thought it was 20p fee from Paypal. Plus ebay charge 10% including the postage cost.

It is 30p + 2.9% for Paypal, since August.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • tallmansix wrote: »

For example, if the postage costs £2.00, then you would need to sell for 54p to ensure no losses.

If the postage & packaging costs you £2. you need to charge £2.22 just to break even.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it really worth all the effort?

Why not just donate to a charity shop?
  • Facebook Marketplace is free to advertise (you can advertise them with a sale price or as free), I'm not sure about Gumtree and Preloved but they may be worth investigating. There's also Freecycle for giving away.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you want to sell, don't sell or set the price whereby you lose money, that is crazy.

The fee is 30p on a standard PayPal account - this is the fee that is non refundable. However, if you only have a standard account you will be able to open a Micro account. Micro Paypal is for smaller value transactions and the fees work differently. Micropayments have a 5p transaction fee (the bit that isn't refunded) but the processing fees are 5%. If you are selling at low values and fear lots of refunds, this may be a better option. You do the maths.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all,

So I'm planning to have a clear out soon prior to Christmas and some items I'd list at start 1p, as worst case scenario I'd be okay with selling for that (free collection or plus p and p charges).

As I have quite a few things to list so that could all add up.

TIA
    As has been said there is a fixed PayPal fee, 30p for a standard PayPal account or 5p for a micro account. So yes, regardless of what item sells for if posted you need to account for that fixed fee as well as the percentage that PayPal charges. The PayPal and eBay FVFs are both charged on the full amount including postage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2019 at 8:29AM
    Since they raised the fees to 30p, I have sold many items at a loss, because I list them for 99p + £1 postage.

These items are all worth exactly £1, so if they only get one bid, I would break even under the old system (I have hundreds of old stamps bought at 52p). Now I lose 9p per sale.

However I keep doing this because the alternative to selling is to scrap the item, whereupon I get my £1 back but the item is destroyed.

If people are willing to pay £1.99 for an item worth £1, then I'd rather let them have it even if I make a loss, buyers all seem to be very pleased with their purchase given their feedback (I don't understand why, but I am happy to make other people happy).

If I list the item at £1.09 or I set the postage at £1.10, nobody bids. This way once in a while two buyers will get into a bidding war and it sells for £2 or £3.

I can't be bothered with a micro account.

Top-rated business sellers can sell the same item for £4 or £5 every time, and I don't understand whether it's some sort of shill bidding or whether some people are really so stupid that they don't know how to find the same item from the tens of other private sellers who are also selling it at a loss (some people list for 99p plus the actual 61p postage).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure