Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 15th Oct 19, 9:51 AM
    • 618Posts
    • 196Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Good Samaritan finds man's wallet... & gets in touch with him via four 1p bank transfers - MSE News
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:51 AM
    Good Samaritan finds man's wallet... & gets in touch with him via four 1p bank transfers - MSE News 15th Oct 19 at 9:51 AM
    A Good Samaritan who found a wallet in the road in central London has returned it to its owner Ė after getting in touch with him via four separate 1p bank transfers, each containing information on how he could be contacted...
    Read the full story:
    'Good Samaritan finds man's wallet... and gets in touch with him via four 1p bank transfers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 15-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 15th Oct 19, 9:56 AM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:56 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:56 AM
    I wonder if the owner ever paid back the 4p...
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 15th Oct 19, 11:20 AM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:20 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:20 AM
    I wonder if the owner ever paid back the 4p...
    Originally posted by PRAISETHESUN
    You could have read the whole article, and found out.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 15th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    Ingenious idea!

Just wondering if it would have left the Good Samaritan's bank details in the wallet owners account, though...
    Remaining debt: £500/£5069.01 (offset leaving £4569.01)
    Originally: £11,640.02; £6771.01 (58%) repaid; £7271.01 w/ offset
    CC balance: £4999.67 £0 (100% repaid )
    Emergency Fund (#187): £500/£1000
    Terrimundi: in early retirement!
    • Chino
    • By Chino 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Chino
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    Just wondering if it would have left the Good Samaritan's bank details in the wallet owners account, though...
    Originally posted by PositiveBalance
    and why would that be a problem?
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 15th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    and why would that be a problem?
    Originally posted by Chino
    Probably something to do with giving out names, sort codes and account numbers...

• EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 15th Oct 19, 12:32 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:32 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:32 PM
    This wouldn't have worked if the owner of the wallet banked with Nationwide. They don't show references for payments or transfers, they just show the payee's name. If the transfer comes from another Nationwide account you don't even get the name; you just get the sort code and account number.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 15th Oct 19, 12:37 PM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:37 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:37 PM
    This wouldn't have worked if the owner of the wallet banked with Nationwide. They don't show references for payments or transfers, they just show the payee's name. If the transfer comes from another Nationwide account you don't even get the name; you just get the sort code and account number.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Given the length of the messages, and the fact they're spread over 4 of them, I rather suspect that the sender was using the payment reference field, which should appear in the destination account.

Comments under the article itself suggest the owner banks with Monzo.
    • alphalux
    • By alphalux 15th Oct 19, 1:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alphalux
    • 15th Oct 19, 1:09 PM
    Warning!
    • 15th Oct 19, 1:09 PM
    I have been receiving this type of low value credits into my bank account for years, accompanied by an unsolicited message.

They are rather odd as I have not lost my bank card, wallet etc, so was wondering where they obtained my bank details from. Perhaps someone with a photographic memory has obtained them from my bank card in the part, or perhaps its from payment I made by cheque years ago? Who knows?

Unfortunately, I did make the error of calling the number advised on the first occassion, resulting in me being spammed by numerous calls and texts that I had no option but to change my mobile number.

Now I just report the unrecognised credits to my bank and let their fraud investigators sort out the scammers. Apparently they trace the account from which the deposits were made, and usually have them shut down if they are from the UK.
    Last edited by alphalux; 15-10-2019 at 1:13 PM.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 15th Oct 19, 1:16 PM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    so was wondering where they obtained my bank details from.
    Probably a random number generator. Sort codes aren't secret, account numbers are likely sequential, and banks don't bother checking (yet!) that the name on any transfer actually matches the destination account.

They're counting on the inquisitive among any valid recipients to reply to them, as you appear to have unfortunately done.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 15th Oct 19, 6:18 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Given the length of the messages, and the fact they're spread over 4 of them, I rather suspect that the sender was using the payment reference field, which should appear in the destination account.
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    With every other bank it probably does, but not if the destination account is Nationwide, it doesn't. They let you input a payment reference when sending a payment, but they don't show them for payments received. I've been with Nationwide for 30 years, and it's my biggest bugbear with them.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Oct 19, 6:28 PM
    • 5,151 Posts
    • 4,889 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Meanwhile last week I found a expensive phone, tracked down the owner got a quick "thanks" and no social media tweets about it!
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Meanwhile last week I found a expensive phone, tracked down the owner got a quick "thanks" and no social media tweets about it!
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    All I got was a 'can you drop it round to mine, put it through the letterbox as I'm out'!
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 15th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Originally posted by dekaspace

I once found an iPhone, and while I was trying to trace the owner got two inbound calls from two different women, both claiming to be the guy's other half. I met up with him to return the phone the following day and he was the most unassuming, average, middle aged bloke you could picture. I didn't mention any of that to him, but some people have all the fun, apparently.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 16th Oct 19, 7:01 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    nyermen
    With every other bank it probably does, but not if the destination account is Nationwide, it doesn't. They let you input a payment reference when sending a payment, but they don't show them for payments received. I've been with Nationwide for 30 years, and it's my biggest bugbear with them.
    Indeed - applicable to all building societies I think, who aren't clearing banks. They probably use the normal reference field to identify the customer account. Presumably for Nationwide, the account number and sortcode are just a nostro/vostro style account at a clearing bank, with the reference required for Nationwide to work out the customer.
    If only FPS used the richer ISO20022 communication rather than 8583 (wasn't 1987 when it came in?) then I think multiple references could be supported.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 16th Oct 19, 8:42 AM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    zerog
    Indeed - applicable to all building societies I think, who aren't clearing banks. They probably use the normal reference field to identify the customer account. Presumably for Nationwide, the account number and sortcode are just a nostro/vostro style account at a clearing bank, with the reference required for Nationwide to work out the customer.
    If only FPS used the richer ISO20022 communication rather than 8583 (wasn't 1987 when it came in?) then I think multiple references could be supported.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    Every nationwide current account has its own full 8-digit account number, although nationwide only have a few sort codes which are not based on a branch. So for example 070246 12345678 and 070436 87654321. But it seems that if you hold the first account, you can send to the second account just by entering 87654321 as the destination and no sort code, even if the owner is a different person.

They should be able to display the reference field, but they don't.

Some older savings accounts had a Nationwide-specific account number such as 33458240985/3454 but these didn't support FP/BACS at all, at least outgoing (maybe there was one account number for incoming FP/BACS where you had to specify the internal number in the reference field).
    Last edited by zerog; 16-10-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 16th Oct 19, 1:02 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Indeed - applicable to all building societies I think, who aren't clearing banks.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    Nationwide is a clearing bank; they clear their own payments.

They should be able to display the reference field, but they don't.
    Originally posted by zerog
    Correct. They've just got a rubbish computer system.
    • born again
    • By born again 16th Oct 19, 7:33 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    born again
    Anyone else think. Why did he simply not ring the bank of the card he found....

Yes they would not tell him the customers details, but they could at least of allowed the wallet owner to contact the finder.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 26,179 Posts
    • 13,343 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Nationwide is a clearing bank; they clear their own payments.

Correct. They've just got a rubbish computer system.
    Sorry but I have to disagree - they are a building society who happen to be members of the clearing system.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • NightStar
    • By NightStar 16th Oct 19, 11:22 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    NightStar
    18 characters is so restrictive and you cannot use most symbols.
    Decrepit old banking system we have in 2019.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,658Users online

Martin's Twitter