Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jensav
    • By Jensav 14th Oct 19, 5:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jensav
    Stamp duty error
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:28 PM
    Stamp duty error 14th Oct 19 at 5:28 PM
    Hi, Iím new to the site so hope Iím putting this in the right place! We moved house just over a year ago, and have just received a letter from the solicitor who did both our house sale and purchase saying when they sent ya a cheque for the remaining balance after the house sale, they miscalculated and never deducted the stamp duty fees, and we therefore owe them £618!!!

Iím just wondering if anyone knows where we stand on paying this back, as surely itís their error, and also theyíve waited over a year to bring it to our attention!!

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 14th Oct 19, 5:39 PM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 5,379 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:39 PM
    Not sure why you on this board but.......you can ask them why it wasn't settled at the time but ultimately it is your liability.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Oct 19, 5:40 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 26,773 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:40 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:40 PM
    They have 6 years to chase it, so they well within time limits.

If you can't afford it in one go, speak to them about paying in installments, but I try to get it paid as soon as possible.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 16,215 Posts
    • 19,449 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    Hi, I’m new to the site so hope I’m putting this in the right place!
    Originally posted by Jensav

Well no, since this is for PPI and insurances !!
    You could post on the house buying and renting forum but I'll tell you now what the answer will be, its a debt and you owe it.

I bet you'd be screaming blue murder if the position was reversed, the solicitor had underpaid you and they said "nyah nyah a years elapsed and tough luck we're keeping it".

You can always plead poverty and ask to pay it in installments with something off for the inconvenience (.... of having £618 for free for a year)
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 14-10-2019 at 6:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Jensav
    • By Jensav 14th Oct 19, 5:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jensav
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:48 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 5:48 PM
    My mistake, Iím new! Just saw it said ďmortgage feesĒ so thought it was the correct forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter