Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 13th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 2,811Posts
    • 1,593Thanks
    anotheruser
    Stockpiling Nappies. A Question.
    • 13th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    Stockpiling Nappies. A Question. 13th Oct 19 at 7:59 PM
    So we're having a baby in April.

A friend of ours said a good way to save money is start buying things now.
    We have thousands of wipes (got on a good deal from Amazon).

However it's come to thinking about nappies.

A family member swears by Asda's Little Angels nappies but I guess not everyone does!

We're a bit afraid of stockpiling a brand and then finding out they're not that great for us. But it's our first baby so we sort of won't know any different.

We're not looking to use washable ones.

Any tips?
Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Oct 19, 8:06 PM
    • 10,630 Posts
    • 64,699 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:06 PM
    How is it a good way to save money, keep the money in your account and buy them when you need them. I don't understand your friend's logic.

You could end up buying 100s of nappies you don't need, don't suit your baby, buy a few packs at a time when your baby is here, you will find out which nappies suit your baby best and when they need to move up a size.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Gilead
    • By Gilead 13th Oct 19, 8:06 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Gilead
    Wipes - you will always have a need for them, so it is good that you have a good supply.

Nappies - you can gather up some free samples as well, for our now 14 month year old we have used a mixture of pampers, Asda’s little angels, Tesco’s and Lidl’s. We have not seen much difference between them all. We’ve mainly used Asda as granny shops there and insists on buying them for us.

However, remember there are different sizes for nappies, and you never know when you will move up a size.

Good luck.
    • GingerSaurus
    • By GingerSaurus 13th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    GingerSaurus
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    I wouldn’t buy too many, as long as you have enough for a week or two it’s easy enough to pick them up once the baby’s here. I speak from experience as I bought over 300 newborn ones in a variety of brands. Our little girl was small and needed size 0 nappies instead, she didn’t grow into the ones we’d bought in advance for 6 weeks!

I’ve found Aldi to be the best, Asda and Tesco are also good. I wasn’t impressed with the more expensive brands, they seemed to leak more!
    • pjcox2005
    • By pjcox2005 13th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    pjcox2005
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    I get where your friend is coming from but you are better to put money in a piggy bank after each shop rather than actually buy the nappies. For the reasons mentioned above but also this allows you to buy on sale. Aldi always did a baby event and I believe Asda do as well which may discount nappies. Likewise pampers always seemed to put a deal on each month
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 13th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    kimplus8
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    many babies can also go through a size really quickly, mine all seemed to jump from size 1 to size 3 and were only in size 2 for around a week. Its easier to buy as you go along.
    Better still have you though of investing in some cloth/reusable nappies. This will certainly save you some serious money. by the time I had my second eldest, I had discovered cloth nappies (I have 8 kids).
    they are utterly poop proof, absorb well, wash well and have saved me £1000's as I have been able to use them across several babies.
    Mum to 8 troopersDave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 37,659 Posts
    • 23,283 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 13th Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    Bulk buying only works if you are buying stuff cheap and will use all of it.

Most stuff is on offer in cycles learn those to avoid overstocking.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 14th Oct 19, 6:52 AM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    • 14th Oct 19, 6:52 AM
    • 14th Oct 19, 6:52 AM
    Thanks all.
    I wouldn't be stocking hundreds in the same size. Although perhaps my post made it seem like that. Will probably pick up a few Aldi and Asda brands and leave it line that.

Cheers
    • Colliewobble12
    • By Colliewobble12 14th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Colliewobble12
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    Babies are all different and what suits one won't suit another. My son had (still has) a very skinny bum and we got given loads of Pampers by friends and family but I found they were too baggy and leaked. The Huggies that came in the Bounty pack fitted him much better but I also found the ones from Aldi and Lidl just as good at about half the price.

I wouldn't bother stocking up until you find what suits your baby. Nappies take up loads of room plus you'll no doubt be given packs as gifts plus the bounty pack (and baby box if you're in Scotland). No point having several hundred nappies that leak and you end up spending a fortune washing clothes and bedding.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Ergates
    How is it a good way to save money, keep the money in your account and buy them when you need them. I don't understand your friend's logic.
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    Because when buying in advance, you have more time to shop around and can wait until things are on offer. As long as you are *guaranteed* to use the items you purchase.
    • cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 14th Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    cheeky-peach
    We are expecting in December and have a few packs ready but we've been saving money each month for such things. Much easier re: sizing and you don't need bundles of space to keep them.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 15th Oct 19, 7:35 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    As mention already, there are far too many variables to make any sort of advance stockpiling of nappies sensible.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 16th Oct 19, 6:51 AM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    As mention already, there are far too many variables to make any sort of advance stockpiling of nappies sensible.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    Don't take this the wrong way but if it's been mentioned already, what was the point in posting?
    Just repeating information for nothing.
    • Taran3030
    • By Taran3030 16th Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Taran3030
    Hi I’ve recently had a baby, we had the basics for the first month or so while I was healing so didn’t have to go out too much. Only one pack of size newborn (good as was bigger didn’t even fit) also I didn’t even buy them as I used freebies from Emma’s diary and bounty packs app. Get as much freebies as you can! Also Baby Box is an educational initiative that after some video learning gives u free nappies and a big box like Moses basket strong for storage now (or a toy boat!) I used to buy them on offer at Boots and get points on Boots card that way when points added up could buy teething toys/bottles/wipes on the points. Also someone said Amazon bulk better value for pampers never tried. We started using pampers, buy as your baby grows! It’s annoying to have good nappies that are too small around the place. Though switched to Lidl as big packs at half the price and no irritation, wipes we tried but not great quality and prefer Johnson’s they do big packs too.
    • Colliewobble12
    • By Colliewobble12 16th Oct 19, 9:32 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Colliewobble12
    Slightly at a tangent but old cotton T-shirts make great baby bum-cloths instead of disposable wipes. You get 8 large ones from the body (from an average adult T-shirt) and a couple of smaller ones from the sleeves. Just wet as necessary for the job in hand and they can be chucked in the machine afterwards and re-used. Cutting them up and folding is also very relaxing in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

All the best. Wobble X
    Last edited by Colliewobble12; 16-10-2019 at 9:38 AM.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    bigisi
    Don't take this the wrong way but if it's been mentioned already, what was the point in posting?
    Just repeating information for nothing.
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    So rather than thank everyone else and answer the questions asked you decide to take a snipe at someone who's posted trying to be helpful.

Charming.
    • Moll27
    • By Moll27 17th Oct 19, 1:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Moll27
    I bought loads of Pampers in advance and they turned out to be quite rubbish, really thin and they don't hold much. Tesco's brand were brilliant so we ended up buying theirs and they were quite cheap.

I'd just buy a couple of packs in newborn size til you know what works for you.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 17th Oct 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Archergirl
    We have thousands of wipes (got on a good deal from Amazon)...............

Why? What's wrong with a soft piece of cloth or a baby flannel, these thousands of wipes will all end up in landfill (Please do not flush them)
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    • 7,749 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    spadoosh

Why? What's wrong with a soft piece of cloth or a baby flannel, these thousands of wipes will all end up in landfill (Please do not flush them)
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    My nan used a wet flannel to slap me in the face because i wanted to go out and play with my friends and she didnt want me to.

Then there was the time i stayed at my aunties and washed myself with the flannel on the side to be told it was my aunties fanny flannel.

Unfortunately i cant be converted on this, i prioritise my mental health over the environment. I will continue to use wet wipes.
    Don't be angry!
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 20th Oct 19, 1:53 PM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    So rather than thank everyone else and answer the questions asked you decide to take a snipe at someone who's posted trying to be helpful.
    Originally posted by bigisi
    I don't follow why they think their reply was helpful.
    There was nothing really to say to the others though.
    I very rarely reply to a post just saying thanks. That's what the button is for.

Originally posted by Archergirl
    Because they're easy.
    I use baby wipes for loads of stuff, have done for years. Sometimes the softness of the cloth is what I am after rather than a flannel or duster.

Why anyone would think to flush baby wipes, I don't know.
    I never have.

Just like advice to "not wash poultry". I understand maybe 30 years ago that was valid advice but I can't imagine anyone under 60 doing it now and by putting it on chicken now, it creates a question of whether you should because at some point, people did.
    If they didn't include the warning, young people are unlikely to think it was an option.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

4,788Users online

Martin's Twitter