Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 13th Oct 19, 7:24 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 14Thanks
    dialdfordave
    0 WOW
    Do I have to accept alternative flight?
    • 13th Oct 19, 7:24 PM
    0 WOW
    Do I have to accept alternative flight? 13th Oct 19 at 7:24 PM
    Hi all

I've spent some considerable time on Google but I have not found the answer to my specific question.

I have a package holiday booked, which originally included a return flight with Thomas Cook.The agent has (without any prior contact with us) replaced the original Thomas Cook flight with an EasyJet flight (due to Thomas Cook going bust) which does not fit in with our other arrangements, as it leaves almost 4 hours later and creates significant inconvenience for us.

My question is basically, do I have to accept this flight or do I have the right to a refund?

Cheers
    Dave
Page 3
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    Now hes bleating on another thread about the responses hes received...

As stated in the other thread, the small stick near the steering wheel of your car will resolve the darkness issue while driving, and driving after an evening flight is hardly a Herculean task.
    Im about to drive 2 hours after landing at 1am from a 10 hour flight... suck it up buttercup
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Well you obviously don't think that any consideration should be given to my own, my passengers, or other road users safety! And people think my attitude is shocking!
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 9:16 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I assume if you get a full refund, you have already found an alternative holiday at a cheaper or similar costs with more suitable flight times from the same airports?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 8,222 Posts
    • 11,260 Thanks
    waamo
    I think all you can do is ring them and explain that it's way past your bedtime and see what they say.
    This space for hire.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 9:21 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I think all you can do is ring them and explain that it's way past your bedtime and see what they say.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Ha
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 14th Oct 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Originally Posted by dialdfordave View Post
    I will call LoveHolidays tomorrow and see what they say.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Perhaps you should have done that first!
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:27 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    Perhaps you should have done that first!
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    On a Sunday night?
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:28 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    I assume if you get a full refund, you have already found an alternative holiday at a cheaper or similar costs with more suitable flight times from the same airports?
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    No we haven't.

As I'm sure I've said earlier, if this flight was the only option we wouldn't have taken it.

We would rather forego the holiday than take this flight.
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    Originally posted by waamo
    Wow, such wit. Where can I buy tickets to your show, or are they sold out?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 9:30 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    bradders1983
    No we haven't.

As I'm sure I've said earlier, if this flight was the only option we wouldn't have taken it.

We would rather forego the holiday than take this flight.
    Originally posted by dialdfordave
    For the sake of four hours you would rather have no holiday? Sorry, IMO this is cutting your nose off to spite your face, if you really cant stay away a couple of extra hours then simply get up later in the day, or have a sleep on the plane, have a few coffees/Red Bull, or whatever. As already said, if TC had made the change whilst they were still trading you would have had no alternative but to accept.

How far do you actually have to drive from the airport to home?
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    As already said, if TC had made the change whilst they were still trading you would have had no alternative but to accept.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    That's not the situation we are in, plus a delay of more than 3 hours would give us compensation, which could pay for a night at a hotel before driving home perhaps?

Driving home isn't even the only factor, it's just one of many.

I love how this thread has become about convincing me I'm wrong to not want to accept the very thing I chose not to book in the first place!

Is there another business where you could substitute a product for one the customer purposefully chose to avoid and they have to be grateful?
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 14th Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    Yes, plenty.
    Hire cars
    Hotels - guests can sometimes be walked to alternatives
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:42 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    I'm with the OP - he's asked a question and received the 3rd degree by the opionionati.
    Originally posted by prowla
    Thanks, I'm glad there is one sensible person here.

Every so often I forget what inevitably happens when you ask a question on an Internet forum, I shall have to try harder to remember in future.
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 9:45 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    Yes, plenty.
    Hire cars
    Hotels - guests can sometimes be walked to alternatives
    Originally posted by Dr Crypto
    These are all still in the travel business.

When you book a hire car they always say "... or similar", so you know you won't always get exactly what you booked anyway.

If I got walked to another hotel I would be extremely annoyed as there are reasons we chose the specific hotel in this case.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 9:49 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    bradders1983
    That's not the situation we are in, plus a delay of more than 3 hours would give us compensation
    Erm, no it wouldnt. Not when its this far in advance. Well I assume its a few months away, you never said.

A change of time of 3 hours up to and including 14 days beforehand? Yes.
    A delay of 3 hours on the day? Maybe, depends what the reason is.
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 10:15 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    LoveHolidays have said that they followed instructions given to them by ABTA and I would have to take it up with them. I called ABTA and they confirmed this.

I emphasised to LoveHolidays that we are repeat customers and would hope they could make an exception in this case but they wouldn't budge.

The outcome then, is;

We can now choose between taking the holiday, or cancelling and losing around 270 for the non-refundable parts and cancellation fees

We will probably not use LoveHolidays again, simply because they don't appear to value customer loyalty. Even a small gesture on their part could have gone a long way. I understand it was a difficult situation but IMO it is the difficult situations which give a chance for customer service to really stand out

Of course there are also a few lessons learned for the future (including not to expect anything more than derision on Internet forums)
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 10:16 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Better stock up on Pro Plus then, mate. God bless x
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 14th Oct 19, 10:23 AM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Of course there are also a few lessons learned for the future (including not to ask questions on a forum if i'm not going to like the correct answers.)

Fixed that for you.
    So what you were advised on the forum was correct.
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 10:25 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    Fixed that for you.
    So what you were advised on the forum was correct.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    Not exactly, nobody mentioned ABTA.

Correct about outcome maybe but not about the reasons.
    Last edited by dialdfordave; 14-10-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarification
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 14th Oct 19, 10:40 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    cubegame
    LoveHolidays have said that they followed instructions given to them by ABTA and I would have to take it up with them. I called ABTA and they confirmed this.

I emphasised to LoveHolidays that we are repeat customers and would hope they could make an exception in this case but they wouldn't budge.

The outcome then, is;

We can now choose between taking the holiday, or cancelling and losing around 270 for the non-refundable parts and cancellation fees

We will probably not use LoveHolidays again, simply because they don't appear to value customer loyalty. Even a small gesture on their part could have gone a long way. I understand it was a difficult situation but IMO it is the difficult situations which give a chance for customer service to really stand out

Of course there are also a few lessons learned for the future (including not to expect anything more than derision on Internet forums)
    To be fair, if you're not confident enough to book a holiday direct, rather than through an agent you will always expose yourself to more risk.

This should be the lesson you learn.

Loveholidays or any other travel company will not care enough about losing your meagre custom to bend to your wishes. Did you expect them to charter you a private jet? You need to learn to get realistic and go with the flow or give up traveling.
    • dialdfordave
    • By dialdfordave 14th Oct 19, 10:51 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dialdfordave
    To be fair, if you're not confident enough to book a holiday direct, rather than through an agent you will always expose yourself to more risk.

This should be the lesson you learn.

Loveholidays or any other travel company will not care enough about losing your meagre custom to bend to your wishes. Did you expect them to charter you a private jet? You need to learn to get realistic and go with the flow or give up traveling.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    From small gesture to charter a private jet.

Well done that man!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,117Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter