Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 9th Oct 19, 9:04 PM
    • 762Posts
    • 121Thanks
    kuepper
    Oyster card top up issue
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:04 PM
    Oyster card top up issue 9th Oct 19 at 9:04 PM
    I'm coming to London on an occasional visit in a couple of weeks and so after an arduous navigation of the TFL site I topped up my Oyster card online. I then got a message saying I had to 'collect' the top up by (I think)16 October on a London card reader but I won't be there til 20 October! It added that if I didn't collect I'd be given an automatic refund - so annoyingly I'll have to go through the same rigmorole again. What a crazy system - why can't it just add it ? and why didn't it warn you about the way it worked before you started the top-up process

To avoid this in future is it better going contactless or are there issues with that too?
Page 1
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Oct 19, 9:48 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 9th Oct 19, 9:48 PM
    is it better going contactless or are there issues with that too?
    Originally posted by kuepper
    Hmmmmm giving TFL direct access to your bank account?

Use an oystercard.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Oct 19, 9:48 PM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Unless you have some sort of discount applied to your Oyster just use contactless.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:18 PM

Use an oystercard.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    No need to give anyone access to a bank account to use contactless.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 9th Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Chino
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    To avoid this in future is it better going contactless
    Originally posted by kuepper
    Yes. Or top up your Oyster card at a TfL ticket machine when you arrive in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3N2njLtOw
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 9th Oct 19, 10:39 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:39 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 10:39 PM

Use an oystercard.
    Why?

Contactless works just fine, and is used millions of times every day now.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 10th Oct 19, 11:42 AM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 2,433 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 10th Oct 19, 11:42 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 11:42 AM
    No need to give anyone access to a bank account to use contactless.
    Of course. Just more paranoia on the same topic from a certain poster.

Contactless works just fine, and is used millions of times every day now.
    From the tube journey to the cup of coffee and few problems.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 10th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    martindow
    • 10th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    As has been mentioned you can only get discounts (railcards etc.) with Oystercards.

Are there any plans to allow linking of contactless cards so they can also offer discounted fares and lower caps?
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Oct 19, 8:49 PM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,707 Thanks
    macman
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:49 PM
    Capping has applied to contactless cards for at least a year now.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Oct 19, 9:35 PM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    daveyjp
    As has been mentioned you can only get discounts (railcards etc.) with Oystercards.

Are there any plans to allow linking of contactless cards so they can also offer discounted fares and lower caps?
    Originally posted by martindow
    Which makes you wonder how this will be overcome at the recently introduced contactless only stations.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 11th Oct 19, 11:19 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Just more paranoia on the same topic from a certain poster.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    TFL is sitting on £100,000,000's of pounds of revenue from incomplete journeys. A freedom of information request dug up that Westbourne Park tube station was making around £60,000 a day after refunds from incomplete journeys.

The media are complaining MP's are complaining, customers are complaining..... TFL just stays silent.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th Oct 19, 2:20 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    rach_k
    Go contactless. So much easier. It's really easy to link your card to your online account and then check your journey history. If anything is incorrect, it's really easy and quick to get a refund. I've done it a few times, with a 50/50 chance that it was my fault (and I'm being kind to myself probably), and it's always come through.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Oct 19, 10:44 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Originally posted by macman
    Worth bearing in mind that incomplete journeys don’t count towards the cap.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Oct 19, 10:57 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Go contactless. So much easier. It's really easy to link your card to your online account and then check your journey history. If anything is incorrect, it's really easy and quick to get a refund. I've done it a few times, with a 50/50 chance that it was my fault (and I'm being kind to myself probably), and it's always come through.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    If anyone feels the urge to use contactless I strongly suggest that they link it to say AndroidPay. It’s absolutely vital that you get gate receipts to prove that you did tap in/out. A number of times being able to prove this was the only thing that (grudgingly) got me a refund.

Getting refunds out of TFL is not “easy” as TFL’s own refund % figures show. Also remember according to TFL’s own rules you can only get 3? Incomplete Journey refunds a month which for a daily London commuter is a joke.

Rach_K So your happy to pay £10.50 on the 50% of times it wasn’t your fault?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    martindow
    Originally posted by macman
    Yes but not railcard discounted fares and the consequent lower daily cap.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 14th Oct 19, 7:33 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    Also remember according to TFL’s own rules you can only get 3? Incomplete Journey refunds a month which for a daily London commuter is a joke.

Why should a daily commuter need so many incomplete journey refunds?
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 15th Oct 19, 11:21 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    To respond to the OP. Other people have recommended using a contactless debit or credit card which does have advantages.

If you have a national railcard discount applied to your Oyster card, as I have, that is a good reason to use the Oyster card, because such discounts do not apply to contactless transactions.

TfL used to allow about 10 days for collection of top-ups ordered online, but reduced it to 5 days a year or so ago. At the same time they removed the restriction that you could only collect the top-up at a nominated station, now you can collect it at any station.

I have twice ordered on-line top-ups and failed to collect them, when plans changed. I find that facility quite useful.
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 15th Oct 19, 12:27 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    lr1277
    TfL used to allow about 10 days for collection of top-ups ordered online, but reduced it to 5 days a year or so ago. At the same time they removed the restriction that you could only collect the top-up at a nominated station, now you can collect it at any station.

I have twice ordered on-line top-ups and failed to collect them, when plans changed. I find that facility quite useful.
    Originally posted by jbuchanangb

Thanks for that, didn't know the restriction had been lifted.

I find the oyster card preferable to a contactless card, because the oyster card is in its own wallet and I can get it out and scan it at the gate. If I had to get my wallet out, its more precarious and there is a chance stuff from my wallet will fall on the floor. Works for me.

I am not sure if jbuchanangb was referring to this, but a couple of years ago, when I didn't collect a top up, the money was refunded onto my card.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 15th Oct 19, 1:19 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    rach_k
    No idea what you mean here. 100% of times I've asked for a refund (their fault or my fault), I've been given a refund, no quibble. Do you perhaps have a higher than average rate of failing to tap in/out? Perhaps they have reason to suspect you're trying to fiddle the system so that's why you seem to have so much trouble getting refunds.
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 16th Oct 19, 3:17 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    If anyone feels the urge to use contactless I strongly suggest that they link it to say AndroidPay. It’s absolutely vital that you get gate receipts to prove that you did tap in/out. A number of times being able to prove this was the only thing that (grudgingly) got me a refund.

Getting refunds out of TFL is not “easy” as TFL’s own refund % figures show. Also remember according to TFL’s own rules you can only get 3? Incomplete Journey refunds a month which for a daily London commuter is a joke.

I disagree and my experience is completely the opposite It is trivial to get a refund and I have never been unsuccessful ( although have had to escalate about three times in the last 5 years)
    However I can see no reason what ever that someone would need incur 3 incomplete journey refunds in a month unless they are accidentally or purposefully double dipping on the gateline or are very forgetful.
    Can you explain how you are incurring these multiple incomplete journeys that the vast majority of us do not suffer from.?
    Last edited by Jumblebumble; 16-10-2019 at 3:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,596Posts Today

7,820Users online

Martin's Twitter