Are eSIM's the future?

Joe9090
Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 8 October 2019 at 5:44PM in Mobiles
I have only just heard about eSIM's although they appear to have been around for a couple of years.

Apparently only the latest iPhones and the Google Pixel use them.

They seem to be a good idea but does the slow take up mean the lesser phones will not get them for a few years yet?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Joe9090 wrote: »
    I have only just heard about eSIM's although they appear to have been around for a couple of years.

Apparently only the latest iPhones and the Google Pixel use them.

They seem to be a good idea but the does the slow take up mean the lesser phones will not get them for a few years yet?

Not really bothered really.

We will see what happens in the future.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be rubbish for me as I swap work handsets 20/30 times a year, also use the SIM in other cellular devices LOL. Until the number can be swapped easily it's a no go.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2019 at 3:31PM
    Exemplar wrote: »
    It would be rubbish for me as I swap work handsets 20/30 times a year, also use the SIM in other cellular devices LOL. Until the number can be swapped easily it's a no go.
    I think you are an exception to the norm though. It seems that multi eSIM is a feature and that installing an eSIM is simply a matter of scanning a QR code so could be fairly straightforward even in your situation.
  • Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    It seems that multi eSIM is a feature and that installing an eSIM is simply a matter of scanning a QR code so could be fairly straightforward even in your situation.

The first I heard about them was in a podcast I listened to yesterday.On the podcast someone had a problem getting an eSIM connected to his EE account after buying a new iPhone on contract. Apparently he had to take documents to an EE shop to prove his identity and then found out he already had three eSIM's on his account.

No doubt problems like the above will be sorted out before any new phone I get will be able to accept eSim's.

You can see why eSIM's will eventually take over because the phone manufacturers will find a better use for the space where the physical Sims go.
  • I'm surprised they're not called virtual SIMs.

Still, eSIM is at least not as moronic as SIM-free.
  • I have several international e-SIMs installed on my iPhone 11 for when I travel internationally and they all work fine as long as I change the primary and secondary allocation on arrival in each country.

The only country I have a problem with, is the UK as the big operators here won't offer e-SIM on PAYG which is all I need in the UK.

Anyone out there know if any other the smaller bundle companies such as Tesco, offer e-SIM on PAYG ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure