PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 7th October 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,334 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 October 2019 at 12:05AM in Old style MoneySaving
Thank you, Valli, for last week's thread.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!
Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!
Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up
These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.
Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying asier.
A few of the basics before we start the week
Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. .other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- that’s your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this Week...

Magical Monday - Barnacled Bathroom and Sociable Study/Pc Area
Level One...
Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
Throw away all those empty bottles of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray etc. I know they make the room look pretty but they are just cluttering up the place..!!
Level Two...
Clean baths, toilets and sinks
Remove and bin all those slivers of soap that you have been saving, do you really need them?
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three...
Clear clutter from floor
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment the pc while doing this (programs.. accessories..system tools.. defragment!.).. if you do the disc cleanup as well, clear all the cookies and temporary files too
Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
Change hand towels and flannels
Extra mission:
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
  • Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
  • Clean the radiators in these rooms
  • Pull out the pc and desk and clear under and behind it.. how much money did you find? Clean windows, hang up clean nets and draught-proof curtains and any table cloths/throws or other dust and grot gathering bits of fabric!
  • Wipe sticky and dirty marks off the walls and doors

Tantalising Tuesday ~ Masterful Master Bedroom & Loopy Landing
Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen.
Level Two...
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen.. do you need that winter duvet yet?
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level Three...
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
Extra tasks list:
  • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. don’t store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!!
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Check house for places where draughts are getting in.. doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it!
  • Clean out that airing cupboard!!!!!! get rid of those things you don't need.. use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc.. be ruthless!!!! you REALLY don't need that 'thing' you've saved for 10 years.. 'just in case'

Wishful Wednesday ~ those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One...

Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Level Two...
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Level Three..
Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extra task list
  • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
  • Time for the Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
  • 30 minutes ironing
  • Pull out the beds, furniture and clean all behind them.. the skirtings and light fittings and everything.. get rid of all the things that are no longer required!

Tantalising Thursday ~ Kooking Kitchen and Dancing Dining Room
Level One...

Clean floors
Level Two...
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Descale kettle and iron
Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
Extra Mission...
  • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
  • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
  • Clean oven if you didn't do it last week
  • 30 minutes ironing.
  • Get in that food cupboard. Give it all a GOOD scrub out before placing the things you need to use soon at the front. Check dates and freshness on older things, and See if you can incorporate these into next weeks meal plan! Feel free to get carried away and do more cupboards!!!

Friday ~ Luscious Living Room, Handsome Hall Stupendous Stairs
Level One...

Vacuum floors and sofas
Level Two...
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
Water any thirsty plants, wipe their poor neglected leaves!!
Level Three...
Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing in preparation for cold weather!! See if there are any that don't fit, past their best or just plain uncomfy which could leave the house!
Put up linings or winter curtains to keep out those draughts.
Extra Mission...
  • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
  • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
  • Clean a window or two.
  • Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves
  • 30 minutes ironing
  • Get those uniforms, games kits, coats and things in the wash which you will need on Monday
  • Clean light fittings, skirtings even the ones behind furniture. Clean fire-surrounds. Wipe sofa's down. Clear as may hotspots as you can.. see if you can get it all into one pile instead of 15!!!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award ⭐️

Comments

• Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,334 Forumite
    Sorry if I've been exceptionally quiet lately, unfortunately I'm going through a suspension at work and have been accused of something I haven't done, it concerns photos apparently - but nevertheless it has knocked me for six big time. And I have withdrawn a fair bit while I handle this as best as I can. But do believe me I am totally innocent in this and I am having to prove my innocence in all this...and it's proving quite hard.

I just wanted to put why I had been quiet, and obviously this hasn't been put on FB for obvious reasons.
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award ⭐️
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hugs Natty and thanks for the list.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,754 Forumite
    Aww Natty - how stressful for you. If you're in a union do contact them for support.

I'm working f/t again this week so minimal flying in Villa Valli.

Still it means I'll have extra to spend in Dec. Bonus.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the thread. How awful for you Natty. Sending support your way.

Full work week planned plus various other errands and appointments. Dentist and hygienist visit first thing in the morning then work after that. Suspect this may be an off list week again for me but will do what I can.

Hugs to any who need or want them. Sending flylady vibes out to those in need too x
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    (((Hugs)) Natty - I hope you get it sorted soon x

Thank you for the new thread. I will do my best to keep up with the lists this week.

My knee is almost back to normal :) so I managed to take Rosie for a walk in the woods this afternoon, then picked and cleared away the runner bean and tomato plants and mowed the lawn. Phoned DS2 this evening: his Crohn's is playing up again :(

The WM repair man is coming between 9 and 1 tomorrow, so we must get breakfast early ;)

Here's wishing everyone a good week ahead x
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hugs to Natty and Valli
    Belated birthday hugs to ASB

A slow but very productive day today. The kitchen decluttering has progressed with:
    - all baking trays taken out of their slot, sorted with several icky ones disposed of and several decent but unwanted ones put on freecycle. Slot (2 narrow shelves between range and drawers) cleaned. Kickboard below it cleaned.
    - ditto cupboards full of serving dishes, jugs, bowls and goodness knows what. Lots chucked/recycled/charity etc.
    - have started on food cupboards. Had radical re-think on the location of items between 4 cupboards. Will need major tetris game but hopefully will be worth it.
    - juicer I put on freecycle collected by happy new owner.
    - collection of excess baking trays, cookie cutters etc being delivered hopefully to new home tomorrow.
    Generally I'm starting to feel a bit 'lighter' with the decluttering, looking forward to more space for fewer items, although towards the end of the day I was pacing round the kitchen feeling anxious and emotional - yes I know it's only kitchen clutter, but some was my grandma's or were items I'd grown up with!!

Also did a bit more work on my new report template.

Have a good week everyone.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Morning all

Woke with a headache and couldn’t get back off. Not a great start to the week. Head pain has eased now so I am sitting with a warm drink. No real point trying to go back to sleep as I was due to get up soonish, I have an early work meeting followed straight after by dental appointment. Plan for today....

Dentist visit
    Dailies
    Drying company coming to check on progress, hopefully for the last time!
    Fold laundry plus do another load
    Flutter about and tick some things off the list
    Full day of paid stuff
    Out this evening for a couple of hours, DH also out so beef stew taken out of freezer, we can heat and eat separately this evening.

Have a good day all, hugs and posivibes being sent to those in need x
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    Morning all.

Thank you for the lists. ((Hugs)) Natty. X Posivibes coming your way, Pigpen.

Another one here who woke up with a headache and couldn’t get back to sleep. Now I’m on a super go slow.

It’s a full day out at work today, I’m hoping for some catch up time tomorrow but I’m also out for part of that and all evening. Aiming for level 1 again this week, anything else will be a bonus.

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • Morning all

Natty how awful I am sending lots of hugs your way xx
    Piggers - FL vibes coming your way by the bucketload xx

Thank you for the birthday wishes, what a lovely relaxing day. DH isn't working today so he has a huge list to work through, I am working all week as normal. Need to try and get a Dr appointment, I am so sore down below, it's not thrush but just constant itching (sorry TMI:o:(:, it's actually keeps me up at night,

Right time to go to work have fab days all xx
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all

Hugs to those that need, sorry to hear so many of you are having a hard time.

OH up early as off to UK for a day, I'm not working until this evening so hope to get some flying done.

Up and dressed
    WM on

Off to have breakfast and make a list of things to be done as starting worry about forgetting things I need to do this week.

Will be back later with updates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport