Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 2nd Oct 19, 5:42 AM
    • 399Posts
    • 1,817Thanks
    pattypan4
    Teach me how to SKI
    • 2nd Oct 19, 5:42 AM
    Teach me how to SKI 2nd Oct 19 at 5:42 AM
    deleted. tmi
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Page 2
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 8th Oct 19, 1:45 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Eenym, get you and your OH out and about as much as you possibly can, no-one knows what is around the corner. Eat cream teas buy nice flowers and chocolates and enjoy your couple life
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 9th Oct 19, 10:21 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Getting a holiday room as a single is so expensive so eenymeany thank you, I never thought about airbnb.

So today I set up my new important device in my garage, keeps my lungs safe when crafting with wood.
    I set up my new singing dancing weather station, fixed the transmitter onto a sturdy pole on a fence post. Set up my new marvellous magnifying lamp so I can see when I scrollsaw along fine lines.

https://www.proopsbrothers.com/magnifying-lamp-light-3-magnification-daylight-bulb-and-stand-dental-beauty-hobby-v5400-3687-p.asp

It is a blooming brilliant bit of kit, base is very heavy and it is worth far more than that cost

I have eaten some excellent dark chocolate, not the cheap sort, had fresh salmon and organic veg. I don`t know how else to spoil myself, its been a great morning, oh yes I did less than a full load of washing in my all dancing machine using twin dos

Eenym, get you and your OH out and about as much as you possibly can, no-one knows what is around the corner. Eat cream teas buy nice flowers and chocolates and enjoy your couple life
    Originally posted by pattypan4
    Thanks Pattypan4 sounds like you're really enjoying yourself and I've passed on that link to OH who makes model planes
    Yes, I always thought that Airbnb was a single room in a strangers' house. (Didn't fancy the awkward breakfasts with the family!) We've picked little self catering cottages near shops, restaurants, galleries etc which suited us well. (So much more relaxing than hotels in my view.) Hope that helps. Just message me if you want to know more. Don't want to monopolise your thread but thought that the info might be useful for other readers.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.

Please and Thank You are the magic words
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 10th Oct 19, 5:31 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I have got my thinking cap on for the christmas hols, a very long time when on your own and just 2 days out to be with family.
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 11th Oct 19, 9:34 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Hmm I'll watch replies to this with interest as we don't make a big deal out of Christmas either. We have been known to pack up a few 'Christmas goodies' into a picnic and head for the hills if the weather permits. Would that appeal to you? They taste so much nicer looking over a nice view You can decide whether you want a 'busy area' where you'll see people or avoid them!
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.

• pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 11th Oct 19, 3:24 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I cleared my cc today, it hadn`t half built up and have bought a ticket to see a live video of an opera tomorrow. About time I made the effort to get out for entertainment.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 13th Oct 19, 8:22 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    yes totally, heading to the hills. We used to escape to the elan valley but tbh being older and on my own, its not appealing right now
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 13th Oct 19, 9:05 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Archergirl
    If you are dreading Christmas, go away, there are coach trips in this country where you will be with couples and singles or go somewhere warm (If it's Europe make sure your passport has enough time on it, they have moved the goalposts......)
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 13th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Thanks AG but I am not dreading christmas at all, just trying to think of ways not to be bored. It is likely to be too cold for cycling and I may end up indoors more than I like
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 13th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    What can I spend my hard earned savings on?
    Your talk of the next new car indicates you may be unabashed at the prospect of operating new machinery that may be a bit different to what you've been used to. YOu say you don't fly but don't say why. My guess is that you find it all too much of a hassle and you aren't in control anyway as you sit down the back of the flying cattle truck. However, if you can drive competently you can learn to fly yourself very straightforwardly in easily hired aircraft, and if you like it enough even buy your own plane

Seriously … I met an 84 year old lady at the old (now gone) Ipswich Airfield once who had just got her PPL. I can still picture her sparkling eyes and smile

It really is a fantastic feeling to be able to jump in a small plane and just fly where the mood takes you. Many who want to fly seem never to have quite enough money to start, or to train and keep it going to a more advanced standard e.g. flying at night which is often beautiful at this time of year, but cost doesn't seem a problem in your case either. And you'll meet some interesting new people in the process.
    Last edited by peterbaker; 13-10-2019 at 3:09 PM.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 13th Oct 19, 3:18 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I don`t fly for a couple of reasons. Too far to the airport and I always but always get ill and bad ears from flying,
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 85,044 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Patty....I'm a widow too (I think we have "met" on other threads. I'm now 5 years into widowhood.

I've tried a few things to give me a rich and fulfilling life whilst going forward as a solo. I like to spend time with family of course but not too much......the last thing I want is to clip their wings and for them to feel obliged to entertain me.

I've tried cruises, ok but tbh I'm all cruised out for now. I don't like flying, again like you for health reasons only mine is problems with my teeth....barodontalgia. I don't particularly like long coach journeys but I do like trains. I have a Senior railcard and I usually splurge on first class. I know I know, this supposed to be a money saving site but if you book early enough and use a rail card then it's not so bad, plus of course you get free snacks, WiFi, a nice waiting room, again with free snacks, and of course the big one.....you do at least get a seat. . My sardine days, standing in a corridor are over. If I'm going to travel then I want style and comfort but like you I'm not too bothered about holidays.

I take the view that now that I'm retired every day is a holiday....

I have joined a couple of meet up groups. I pick and choose which activities to attend, some are better than others. I am perfectly happy to visit the cinema or theatre by myself. And like you I am both Practical and creative so I do spend quite a lot of time making and doing.

I hAve thought about activity holidays, the sort where you go on a residential course and learn something. I fancy doing a shoemaking course. Lol.

As for twixmas - I just treat it as normal......depending on the weather I either get out and about or I'll just pop to the cinema or the theatre, maybe visit a museum or gallery, and of course catch up with friends and family.

I usually host a girly lunch for fellow solos round about that time too, either at twixmas or in the new year.

Interesting thread.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 13-10-2019 at 4:03 PM.
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 13th Oct 19, 4:07 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    Oh well … you did say you had loads of tenacity and aspirations … so I did try, didn't I?

When was the last time you flew and got those bad ears? I ask because the last time my ears suffered must be at least 15 years ago. Reason being that the aircraft pressurisations systems are ten times better than in the old BAC111, 727, and 737-200 days. The key to understanding old myths about flying discomfort is to understand what used to happen and what happens now.

It is a known fact that human ears can cope very well with going up but much less well with coming down and for that reason there have, for some years now, been recommended minimum times for the pilots to use in increasing the cabin pressure back to ground level pressure when coming down. The recommended limit on speed of repressurisation is the equivalent of 300 feet of lost height per minute in "cabin altitude". Bearing in mind that the maximum cabin altitude in any commercial airliner now is about 8,000 or often less (i.e. no worse than standing atop an 8,000 foot mountain where of course you can still breath quite easily without extra oxygen unless you are a smoker), that means you can expect to have your ears gently handled by the pilot when coming down in a modern airliner over a period of 8,000/300 = approx. 26 minutes from the top of descent. Airliners of course fly much higher than that, but the cabin pressure is held artificially at 8,000 or less and no higher.

You will feel something on the way up, but it won't give you pain. And if you really think your ears are worse than everyone elses, you just have to remember on the way down to hold your nose and gently puff your cheeks once or twice to help equalise the pressure in your Eustachians and inner ears to that pressing on your eardrums in the cabin! The air is also much better from high bypass turbofan engines than from the old straight through exhaust type jets! And flying is not at all expensive on Ryanair and some of the others. The way you tell it, you'll probably spend more on getting to the airport than on the flying!

Anyway, good luck!
    Last edited by peterbaker; 13-10-2019 at 4:11 PM.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 13th Oct 19, 9:36 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I can tell you have a passion for planes Peterbaker.

I just don`t fancy taking my car on the increasingly busy motorways for more than a couple of hours in any direction
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 13th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    I can tell you have a passion for planes Peterbaker. I have a passion for my scrollsaw, love my home hobbies tbh and love my hobby groups. Just feel like spreading my wings a bit, its quite hard to be too adventurous when you are an older female solo eg I would not sit solo in a local pub.
    Ha! Nor would I! Nor have I ever! But I would sit solo messing about up in the clouds more often if I had spare cash!

And the old body bit … we old blokes also suffer too, but I see more and more in their seventies regularly at the gym, and even more surprising, playing tennis too. Neither their bods nor minds seem to go to seed as fast as those that sit at home or get driven around on a bus.

I got told recently that regular tennis (an hour or two once or twice a week) can be expected to add 10 years to life expectancy. Having recently started lessons again, I do know it uses sixty some-odd year old muscles I hadn't used for decades!

Oh and if you were at all serious about learning to ski, better start toning up yours now at the gym ready for the start of the season and the snow train to the Alps before Christmas?
    Last edited by peterbaker; 13-10-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 14th Oct 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I'm really enjoying this thread as such a lot of it rings true. I've just thought of something my sister enjoys which is the Rock choir. This resulted after I suggested a night out to see them at a local theatre. (I'm more of a viewer than a do-er) She really loves it and has made lots of friends by attending. (I'm not a good joiner in and enjoy pottering on my own but sometimes feel that I should be getting out more on my own.)

• pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 14th Oct 19, 9:34 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Welcome aboard, anyone who wants to join in. Tips are always very welcome
    Last edited by pattypan4; 28-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Oct 19, 10:05 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 9,504 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I was looking at some rail holidays to Switzerland. If you have never been there you should give it a go. I went there when I was 11 and still have t seen a more stunning place.

Thinking ahead. If, in the future, you need surgery such as knee/hip replacement or cataracts you could use your money to go privately. Both my OH and I have been told we have the beginnings of cataracts but not for many years. I have set aside money for this which (hopefully) won’t have to touch.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Oct 19, 10:09 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 9,504 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I was looking at some rail holidays to Switzerland. If you have never been there you should give it a go. I went there when I was 11 and still have t seen a more stunning place.

Thinking ahead. If, in the future, you need surgery such as knee/hip replacement or cataracts you could use your money to go privately. Both my OH and I have been told we have the beginnings of cataracts but not for many years. I have set aside money for this which (hopefully) won’t have to touch.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    How about getting a pedigree pet. I would love a Maine Coon (biggest and hairiest breed of domestic cat) but they can cost serious money.
    • chris_n
    • By chris_n 15th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    chris_n
    PB, was that tongue in cheek about actual skiing? The ski I used was short for `spending kids inheritance`
    btw I am in my 70s and only 4`10 but I never feel small.
    I have taught a number people in their 60s and70s to actually ski so why not?
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 15th Oct 19, 10:05 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    I have taught a number people in their 60s and70s to actually ski so why not?
    Originally posted by chris_n
    Yep and whilst we hear that the ladies can be a little more brittle-boned, at 4ft11, this one has less far to fall in those early days when little upsets are more likely
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,863Users online

Martin's Twitter