Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 30th Sep 19, 10:24 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 379Thanks
    lilolilly200
    Dodgy company taking a month to issue a refund
    • 30th Sep 19, 10:24 PM
    Dodgy company taking a month to issue a refund 30th Sep 19 at 10:24 PM
    My husband purchased some health supplement pills online . Only to find out a month later they had taken two further payments out of his bank totally nearly 200. He contacted the bank and told them that these payments were not authorised. (Which they were not) The bank then gave him the company's phone number. It was actually the fraud department at the bank which had this number. He them proceeded to phone them and they said they would issue a refund within the next 14 days. No refund was issued so he phoned again and was then told it was 14 working days. He waited again but still no refund. He then phoned again this time being told there was a backlog and it will be done in a weeks time. Now to this day the money has still not been refunded. What can he do next. Its been over a month now.

Seems to me this is just stalling tac tics and they don't have any intention of issuing this money back to him.

Unfortunately he can't remember the name of the website that he purchased from and he does not have an address. Only a phone number which the bank gave him.
    Last edited by lilolilly200; 30-09-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 30th Sep 19, 11:11 PM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 6,438 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:11 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:11 PM
    Without the name of the company or an address his options are limited.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 30th Sep 19, 11:23 PM
    • 13,423 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:23 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:23 PM
    By what method did they "take payments out of his bank"?
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 30th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 11:54 PM
    They had his card details when he made the initial purchase. A month later they made two more withdrawals. The names on the bank statement stated Vitaplus and fitpro but they are not these companies. These companies want their details as they have had several complaints the same as his. The fraud department at the bank may have the real companies name as they have their telephone number.
    Last edited by lilolilly200; 30-09-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 1st Oct 19, 2:12 AM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 3,905 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:12 AM
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:12 AM
    Very obvious, but has he tried googling the number he has for them?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Oct 19, 8:34 AM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:34 AM
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:34 AM
    My husband purchased some health supplement pills online . Only to find out a month later they had taken two further payments out of his bank totally nearly 200. He contacted the bank and told them that these payments were not authorised. (Which they were not) The bank then gave him the company's phone number. It was actually the fraud department at the bank which had this number. He them proceeded to phone them and they said they would issue a refund within the next 14 days. No refund was issued so he phoned again and was then told it was 14 working days. He waited again but still no refund. He then phoned again this time being told there was a backlog and it will be done in a weeks time. Now to this day the money has still not been refunded. What can he do next. Its been over a month now.

Seems to me this is just stalling tac tics and they don't have any intention of issuing this money back to him.

Unfortunately he can't remember the name of the website that he purchased from and he does not have an address. Only a phone number which the bank gave him.
    Originally posted by lilolilly200
    I can't understand how that can be. Has he checked his browser history? How did he find them in the first place? Surely he received confirmation emails and possibly welcome emails if he had to register before purchasing?

They had his card details when he made the initial purchase. A month later they made two more withdrawals. The names on the bank statement stated Vitaplus and fitpro but they are not these companies. These companies want their details as they have had several complaints the same as his. The fraud department at the bank may have the real companies name as they have their telephone number.
    Do you mean he gave his card details when he made the initial purchase or had he used them before?

Why don't you ask the bank? My wife had to get her life insurance companies address from her bank with no issues.
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    He made the purchase on his phone and doesn't know how to check his browser history. The phone number comes up as in Bangladesh. yes when he rings the number the same English lady answers but it takes her 10 minutes or more to do so.
    Last edited by lilolilly200; 01-10-2019 at 2:51 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 1st Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    • 13,433 Posts
    • 6,146 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:39 PM
    Bangladesh phone number then probably a non UK company .

Browser settings HISTORY .
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    Since his purchase he has factory reset his phone so checking the history is not possible.
    Last edited by lilolilly200; 01-10-2019 at 2:50 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Oct 19, 3:23 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Since his purchase he has factory reset his phone so checking the history is not possible.
    Doesn't know how to check his browser history but knows how to do a factory reset? Weirder and weirder.
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    Doesn't know how to check his browser history but knows how to do a factory reset? Weirder and weirder.
    I am looking for help here not sarcasm.
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 3:41 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    I have since found this article and this is very similar to my husbands experience only her didn't take a survey (or not as far as I am aware). Needless to say his bank card was cancelled but he still has not had his money refunded.

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/work/everyday-life/scam-watch-free-trial-scams
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    • 8,053 Posts
    • 7,855 Thanks
    DoaM
    What phone OS? Android? Use the Chrome browser? If yes to all then try checking history in his Google account.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/54068
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 4:10 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    It is android so I will get him to do that Thanks.

It also seems to me that the bank was more than aware that this was a scam yet they still let the payments be taken out of the account. Would he not have any comeback with the bank in this matter?
    • born again
    • By born again 1st Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    born again
    All you can do to get the money back is contact the company.
    Your husband did authorise the further payments. It's in the T/C.

I hope the bank has now put a stop on the company taking further payments. And that is not just by stopping the card.

Remember the old saying. "If it sounds too good to be true"... Well it is very true...

If the product was so good, they would not want you to pay for the postage and packing.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 1st Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    • 14,074 Posts
    • 11,284 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Where did your husband sign up to this service? What website? And what T&C's was he provided before agreeing?

It sounds like those rip off products you get where they'll send you a trial for an attractive price but hide in the small print that you're agreeing to a subscription at an extortionate price. Typically these companies are not in the UK or EU (as EU consumer protection prohibits them from hiding such details in the small print).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • lilolilly200
    • By lilolilly200 1st Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    lilolilly200
    Unfortunately he can't remember the name of the company but yes he unknowingly signed up to an agreement. The company have said they will issue a refund but keep stalling. What is most annoying the bank knew it was a scam. They had there phone number and told my husband what to say to them. It not the first by a long way either. They knew exactly what this company had done.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Oct 19, 8:52 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 4,203 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I'd probably be more worried about actually taking these pills - goodness knows what's in them.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 2nd Oct 19, 1:33 PM
    • 9,224 Posts
    • 17,203 Thanks
    calleyw
    I'd probably be more worried about actually taking these pills - goodness knows what's in them.
    Originally posted by LadyDee

Wonder if they were to help with memory/mental function? As the op's husband does not what website he bought from (worrying) does not what T & C's he signed up to (worrying) and does not even check his bank/credit card account on a regular basis enough so missed approx 100 being removed from the said bank account or added to his credit card. (worrying) so could have stopped the second payment.

Maybe internet shopping is not for the op's husband!!!!

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • born again
    • By born again 2nd Oct 19, 8:49 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    born again
    What is most annoying the bank knew it was a scam. They had there phone number and told my husband what to say to them. It not the first by a long way either. They knew exactly what this company had done.
    I bet the phone number is in the debited transaction. Often the 2nd line.

These are not a Scam as such. They are very cleaver marketing. People read
    FREE TRIAL just pay for P&P.
    But their definition of the above is "Trial Period" usually 14 days.
    No such thing as a free lunch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter