Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ganeden
    • By ganeden 30th Sep 19, 12:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ganeden
    Lost Monies
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:57 PM
    Lost Monies 30th Sep 19 at 12:57 PM
    My Mum in Law passed away 10 years ago now. She had savings in the Halifax, due to the Banks collapse at the time she lost 13000 over night.
    Originally I went with her when she was alive to open these accounts and confirmed with the Halifax that she wanted 2 savings accounts with no loss of capital. Obviously one of these did lose the capital.
    I have since been told that we could look into compensation with the Halifax, but this was 10 years ago now, so is this too late?
    Also, where do I stand now ?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 30th Sep 19, 1:17 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    SonOf
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:17 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:17 PM
    She had savings in the Halifax, due to the Banks collapse at the time she lost 13000 over night.
    Halifax didnt collapse. So, her savings would not have been lost.

I have since been told that we could look into compensation with the Halifax, but this was 10 years ago now, so is this too late?
    On what basis would compensation be paid?
    Who is the executor for your MIL? (only they hold the legal right to act on behalf of the estate)

Also, where do I stand now ?
    Perhaps clarifying how savings could have been lost when no savings were lost due to a bank collapse.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,721Users online

Martin's Twitter