Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnjones7656
    • By Johnjones7656 26th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Johnjones7656
    Use by date still on shelf?
    • 26th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    Use by date still on shelf? 26th Sep 19 at 11:34 AM
    Hi there
    I was in a large supermarket and they had a product on the shelf where the use by date was yesterday. I took a picture and emailed them. Theyíve just emailed me back saying sorry and the manager has now been made aware. Isnít this a criminal offence to sell food past the use by date? Could I take this further? Iím not sure what I was expecting but they donít seem to be that bothered!
Page 2
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 27th Sep 19, 11:19 PM
    • 5,275 Posts
    • 51,882 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Take it further? It was some stale bread, FFS, I keep bread for a week or more past its date.
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    I hope you eat it whilst having a Compo Expression on your face and consider suing yourself for the distress and upset you've caused yourself.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 237 AFDs up to end of October
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1,272.46/£1809
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 28th Sep 19, 7:06 AM
    • 23,856 Posts
    • 64,226 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi there
    I was in a large supermarket and they had a product on the shelf where the use by date was yesterday. I took a picture and emailed them. Theyíve just emailed me back saying sorry and the manager has now been made aware. Isnít this a criminal offence to sell food past the use by date? Could I take this further? Iím not sure what I was expecting but they donít seem to be that bothered!
    Originally posted by Johnjones7656
    It was bread!
    Originally posted by Johnjones7656
    Why do so many people seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between 'use by' and 'best before'?
    Bread usually has a Best Before date rather than Use By date, and it is not illegal to sell items past the Best Before date.
    Originally posted by JAG
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 28th Sep 19, 10:40 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Donít you have anything better to do with your day? They responded, they told the manager, heíll now have the product remove and probably give a bit of a talk to the staff that allowed it to happen.

Itís a minor mistake, they will have many thousands of lines. You complained, they responded, at that point what is your further issue? What do you want to happen?
    Originally posted by Still Dave

"What do you want to happen?".......COMPENSATION FOR THE DISTRESS & UPSET IT HAS CAUSED
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Oct 19, 3:20 PM
    • 50,139 Posts
    • 62,497 Thanks
    G_M
    I agree with the majority of other posters. OTT response.

All supermarkets have a customer service point. Take it there. If un-maned, then leave it there!

No,not illegal.

What do you expect to happen? You gor an apology. You want compensation too? Or maybe for Head Ofice to sack the branch manager? Or self-report to Trading Standards? What?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,931Posts Today

6,136Users online

Martin's Twitter