Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 24th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    What to do when student loans dont cover rent?
    • 24th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    What to do when student loans dont cover rent? 24th Sep 19 at 7:32 PM
    I am going to be getting the minimum loan which is just over 4000 but with rent being 100 a week that 5200 a year so theres a massive short fall. And yes i know i could just get a job and ive applied everywhere. I do have a disability where I cant lift above my head or stand for too long but its not bad enough for PIP and finding a job that I can do with no experience seems unlikely right now. I guess I just need to rant a bit as it feels like im stuck for not being born into the right family or something.
Page 1
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 25th Sep 19, 1:40 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:40 PM
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:40 PM
    It's generally expected that the shortfall is made up by parents. I take it you don't get a full grant because household income is high (relatively).

Also look at disabled student allowance. You might qualify. The uni you're going to can advise on finances so worth seeking that out.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 25th Sep 19, 1:49 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    _shel
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:49 PM
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:49 PM
    Find somewhere cheaper to rent,
    get a job you can do such as a desk job,
    ask your parents for help,
    and as suggested check out the disabled students allowance.
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 25th Sep 19, 2:15 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    • 25th Sep 19, 2:15 PM
    • 25th Sep 19, 2:15 PM
    I dont get full lot because im under 25 and i dont know my parents income. So unless i can provide that i get the bare minimum.
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 25th Sep 19, 2:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    • 25th Sep 19, 2:18 PM
    • 25th Sep 19, 2:18 PM
    i cant find anywhere cheaper. i get a good deal as is as that is most bills included. i have been looking for a desk job but no luck and i cant ask parents for help as I don't know how. and theres nothin I can apply for dsa wise as theres nothing I need.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Sep 19, 10:28 PM
    • 9,561 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    meer53
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:28 PM
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:28 PM
    I am going to be getting the minimum loan which is just over 4000 but with rent being 100 a week that 5200 a year so theres a massive short fall. And yes i know i could just get a job and ive applied everywhere. I do have a disability where I cant lift above my head or stand for too long but its not bad enough for PIP and finding a job that I can do with no experience seems unlikely right now. I guess I just need to rant a bit as it feels like im stuck for not being born into the right family or something.
    Originally posted by WhydeWhy
    You won't be in student accomodation for 52 weeks ? Where will you live when you're not at Uni ? Where do you live now ?
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 1:27 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:27 AM
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:27 AM
    Of course im going to be renting for the full year. where else am i meant to live? I still need housing over the summer.
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 1:30 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:30 AM
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:30 AM
    the degrees in maths in south of england. my dream job is to work with maths and honestly im getting nowhere if i dont do this as the usual routes for work experience and references are closed off to me. this way I get a degree and references and I can fight off the feeling that im worthless for a while longer.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 26th Sep 19, 5:18 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    _shel
    • 26th Sep 19, 5:18 AM
    • 26th Sep 19, 5:18 AM
    Of course im going to be renting for the full year. where else am i meant to live? I still need housing over the summer.
    Most students return home to their family over the summer. If you have no family because you are estranged or a care leaver you should be getting the maximum amount. Even extra grants if a care leaver.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Sep 19, 5:47 AM
    • 67,435 Posts
    • 395,081 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Best/easiest way to earn money is to do work as a maths tutor.

Where I live an A level student was advertising (and getting enquiries) for O level maths at 20/hour!!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Sep 19, 8:55 AM
    • 39,567 Posts
    • 163,715 Thanks
    silvercar
    Are you giving the full story here? Student loans are assessed on family income (unless you are married, over 25 or estranged). Even you are not getting the full loan that suggests that the family income is too high for you to qualify, it therefore follows that your parents could (and the government assumes "should" rather than "could") support you by topping up your loan to the non means tested amount. Parents generally welcome their student offspring back into the family home during university holidays.
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 9:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    They are asking for my parents income details which I don't have can I don't have enough proof for them that I'm estranged. I have 2 years before I turn 25 and can get the full amount. I don't know how to ask my parents for details as I'm not even sure what they do. im going to look into tutoring if I can. I know one person whos resiting GCSE and was going to trade meals for help anyway.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 26th Sep 19, 5:34 PM
    • 7,122 Posts
    • 5,389 Thanks
    sheramber
    Do you live with your parents?

If not, where do you live at present?

You do not need to know their income. You give them the form to complete.

If you really cannot get more money then you need to postpone going to uni for a couple of years. Get a job in the meantime and save up for when you do go.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Sep 19, 5:53 PM
    • 39,567 Posts
    • 163,715 Thanks
    silvercar
    They are asking for my parents income details which I don't have can I don't have enough proof for them that I'm estranged. I have 2 years before I turn 25 and can get the full amount. I don't know how to ask my parents for details as I'm not even sure what they do. im going to look into tutoring if I can. I know one person whos resiting GCSE and was going to trade meals for help anyway.
    Your parents should obtain their own login to the student finance website. They then enter their income details and so they remain private.

It is time to sit down with your parents and explain how the system works.
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 8:55 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    my parents wont be doing anything to do with student finance. i cant even ask them. and the stuff that they are asking for is stuff like morgage statments or for me to get married or have a child. none of which are financially possible for me at all.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 26th Sep 19, 8:57 PM
    • 9,561 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    meer53
    You must be living somewhere now ? How are you paying for your accommodation at the moment ? Have you actually spoken to Student Finance and explained your situation ?
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 9:09 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    i was on universal credit and yes i have tried to talk to them multiple times. Some of them seemed a bit out of touch with reality. One suggested that if i buy a house I could use the mortgage statement as proof. at the moment I rent from a family who are being very generous with the fact they are getting paid late this month as ive kept them unto date on it all.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 26th Sep 19, 9:16 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    mangog
    I don't have enough proof for them that I'm estranged
    What evidence do they need from you?
    • WhydeWhy
    • By WhydeWhy 26th Sep 19, 9:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhydeWhy
    i need Statements from professionals such as my old teachers or a socail worker to write a letter which i dont have.or i could buy a house, get married or have a baby. I have proof that I have been claiming but they said they will not accept it without pay slips which again I don't have as I haven't been working for a few years.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Sep 19, 11:33 PM
    • 39,567 Posts
    • 163,715 Thanks
    silvercar
    i need Statements from professionals such as my old teachers or a socail worker to write a letter which i dont have.or i could buy a house, get married or have a baby. I have proof that I have been claiming but they said they will not accept it without pay slips which again I don't have as I haven't been working for a few years.
    Buying a house does not increase your student loan, it also doesn't remove the need for parental income declarations.

Getting married or having a baby are drastic steps to increase your finance by a few thousand pounds for a few years!

Have you thought this through?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,234Users online

Martin's Twitter