Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 24th Sep 19, 6:46 PM
    • 3,912Posts
    • 22,313Thanks
    mrs lds
    Student housing
    • 24th Sep 19, 6:46 PM
    Student housing 24th Sep 19 at 6:46 PM
    My DS is being tied to a terrible contract with student housing, there are 7 tenants but they are liable for garden maintenance, tv licence, batteries for smoke detectors, the landlord is tight as a toilet roll charging over 450. Its a dump. Is this all legal. My son just wants a simple clean room and to study.
Page 1
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 24th Sep 19, 9:08 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 24th Sep 19, 9:08 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 9:08 PM
    Garden maintenance, TV Licence, Batteries for Smoke Detectors are all responsibilties that can legally be passed onto tenants, along with paying for water, gas, electricity, broadband and bulbs for light fittings.

Your DS had the choice of the entire market to find something for less that 450 and presumably failed because there is a going rate for student accommodation. If he wanted an "All-inclusive" arrangement (like in a hotel), it would have cost a lot more than 450 because of all the management involved.

I presume you also read the tenancy agreement carefully before you allowed him to sign it, and were aware of the responsibilities that the agreement put on the tenants?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • summersmile
    • By summersmile 13th Nov 19, 7:37 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    summersmile
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:37 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:37 PM
    Tell him to contact his university they have a legal team and they are used to landlords like this. If it wasn't in the signed contract he is not liable for it. But as I suggested contact the university. Also ask him to post in the overheard page which all university’s have and ask some students if they are familiar with this landlords practices. I hope your son gets it sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,307Posts Today

7,656Users online

Martin's Twitter