Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 24th Sep 19, 2:39 PM
    • 213Posts
    • 92Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell our hotel it made a mistake with the bill?
    • 24th Sep 19, 2:39 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell our hotel it made a mistake with the bill? 24th Sep 19 at 2:39 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I've just noticed our hotel bill only charged us for one £28.50 evening meal instead of two. Should I ring the hotel and offer to pay the rest?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • YelloJello
    • By YelloJello 25th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    YelloJello
    Mmd
    If it was me, I would most definatly pay if it was a small, family run hotel, but if it was a chain, I would go back, have a meal in their resturant and leave a whopping great big cash tip for the waiting staff :-) :-)
    • Pete77778
    • By Pete77778 25th Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pete77778
    No
    No. Never once when I've been overcharged or given too little change by a retailer have they told me. It's always been up to me to tell them. By the same token if they undercharge or give me too much change then it's up to them to tell me.
    • mouse777
    • By mouse777 25th Sep 19, 2:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mouse777
    honesty
    my hotel undercharged me one year I went to reception told them and they said as I had brought it to their notice I wouldn't have to pay the extra. Honesty does pay at times
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 25th Sep 19, 3:27 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Scrapit
    They've had their chance.
    • Chuck_
    • By Chuck_ 25th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chuck_
    I've been in a similar situation. I assumed the waiter forgot to put our drinks order through the till. We are all human and mistakes happen. I called and offered to pay. They thanked me but didn't take the payment.
    • John L M
    • By John L M 26th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    John L M
    Now ya come to mention it...
    Letís stop and consider the facts very carefully before we rush to judgment.

Several days after it happened someone has noticed that a bill for a meal only includes one meal. The explanation we are being asked to consider is whether they should contact the restaurant or hotel and offer to pay or not?

But is that really what has happened? Could there be a more, how can I put it, out of the box thinking Ďobviousí explanation?

This meal, we know it was a meal for two, but was it a business lunch or was it what is rather euphemistically called 'date-night'? If it was the latter did our two diners consume any 'stupidity potion' with their meal? - You know what stupidity potion is right? itís a form of mildly maline magic potion the imbiber of said potion thinks that all manner of skills have increased, the ability to sing Karaoke songs, the ability to dance, the ability to drive etc etc, but in reality (and to some of you this is going to come as a total shock) these skills have actually decreased! Who knew!

So now let us consider the following and ask ourselves which is the most likely explanation.

1. That a hotel or restaurant has accidentally charged for one meal instead of two. Despite the fact that waiters usually expect a portion of the bill as a tip and have therefore a vested interest in making sure the diners are happy, and also billed the full amount that they should be billed. The staff were not paying attention, their billing system was not working, a hard pressed independent hotel/restaurant is so lackadaisical in their billing that they made a mistake. Or, and please take the time to hear me out, you have come this far you may as well stay for the punchline:
    2. That the bill payer was so consumed with other things on his/her mind that they failed to notice that it was a mid week two for one night offer on all meals. Aided and abetted by the amazing memory enhancing powers of stupidity potion. Everyone knows that stupidity potion increases ones ability to recall facts the next day, its been well recorded in scientific journals, its surprises me that they donít prescribe it to dementia sufferers.

Now I ask you all: Whatís the most likely explanation?

By the way, itís the highest form of wit, the only people who think otherwise cannot do it right.
    • Lala83
    • By Lala83 27th Sep 19, 10:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lala83
    It's obviously bothering you, so you should pay. Personally, if it was me and I was staying in an independent hotel I would give them a call but if it was a chain, I'd assume it was a 2 for the price of 1 deal and think no more about it. I highly doubt they will contact you as it was their error. If anything, pay it forward and make a donation to charity as recompense.
    • CazzyP
    • By CazzyP 28th Sep 19, 4:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CazzyP
    Absolutely!
    There is something inherently wrong with today's society when a debate ensues about whether someone should point out an error to a company! Anyone can make a mistake and it's time we got some degree of morality and ethics back. It's little wonder the country is in the state it is in. This is not a 'moral dilemma' - it's merely a question of basic honesty. If they had overcharged you in the region of £30, would you have mentioned it then? Of course you would!
    • crmism
    • By crmism 2nd Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    crmism
    Hotel bill
    Normally, I'd be among the first to point out in fairness that a bill I've received is on the light side through an administrative error but, having eaten in plenty of hotels over the years and been underwhelmed by the quality and quantity of the food served on the plate for the price charged I would, in your shoes, say nothing. Indeed, there have been one or two occasions when I have sent my offering back to the kitchen and asked the chef to do better.

As a nation, we really need to be much more discerning when it comes to food in hotels and restaurants, which get away with blue murder. We aren't, which explains why both food and service standards in countries like the USA are so much better.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Oct 19, 3:48 AM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 9,432 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We ate lunch in a local cafe a while ago. When we got the bill it didn’t seem right so we asked if they could check it. The manager came out and explained that all their bills are checked so there is very little chance of an error. So we paid what was on the bill. They had undercharged us by nearly £10.

Their mistake, we gave them the chance to check the bill but they chose not to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,155Posts Today

7,674Users online

Martin's Twitter