Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell our hotel it made a mistake with the bill?

Options

Comments

• Qievo
    Options
    At the point of sale they offered the meals for £28.50, which was paid - not sure how this would be theft and stealing...

Theres definitely a moral issue here, but not a legal one.
  • eao
    eao Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    'Dog eat dog",yes I know we are all part of the animal world but don't we have that little extra, a conscience.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2019 at 7:46AM
    Options
    If it was me, not a chance. They gave me a bill, I paid it. If I had noticed when they presented the bill, I probably would have pointed it out, but I wouldn't call if I noticed after I left the hotel.

"Would you steal the same from a shop", for goodness sake it's not the same. They ordered two meals, they were given a bill for one and didn't notice the hotel's error.

On my way home from work a few weeks ago I nipped to a supermarket and bought a pile of groceries and at the last second at the till grabbed a packet of mints as well. She didn't scan them, but put them in my bag. I only learnt this by looking at the receipt on the bus while crunching a mint. Would everyone going on about theft get off the bus and go back and pay? Really? When it's an inconvenience, as the customer, to fix her mistake? Or would you get on with your life?
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of phoning and offering to pay (but, apparently, I have no morals). Their mistake, their problem.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • GrumpySays
    Options
    I'm sorry, but how do you not notice at the time that your bill is half what you were expecting? Not very money saving to not pay attention to your bill, would you have noticed if they had over-charged you? No moral dilemma here, you just want people to tell you it's ok to do the wrong thing.
  • Leftyness
    Options
    Thanks moral high sceptre.

You'll find many people will say "yes pay".
    In reality, most of these people wouldn't pay.

It depends on the situation.
    If you're still there, raise it with the reception if you wish but remember, the cost price for the food would have been fairly low so the hotel aren't missing out on much.

If you've left already, you'll find it'll probably be too much effort to try and pay them. They probably won't have a system in place for this sort of thing, meaning someone will have to make special arrangements - all adding up to more than the extra meal was worth.

Think of it like a freebie and don't let it get you depressed.
    There are far greater things to worry about in life at the moment.

It is great to see that they can take their moral high horse out for a ride because sometimes when I read these MMDs, I think some of the posters talk a good game like "It is theft, I would pay. blablabla". But in reality, they will just be happy with a freebie like 99% of people in the world.
  • As someone mentioned earlier, if this was a small business then yes, I'd definitely point it out and pay.

If, however, this is a chain hotel - particularly a multinational - then there's no way I'd offer to pay it. The system with corporates is legally set up at every level to put the power in the hands of corporations. Think about it - how easy is it to get out of a broadband or mobile phone contract? How much extra do you pay for the right to cancel a booking at a hotel? How many additional fees are added on many services in order to give you flexibility? I have no sympathy when it comes to money-grabbing corporations.

If, on this occasion, a multinational has made an error at the cost of £30, it's not going to affect their business in the slightest. Use it to treat yourself again or donate it to charity.
  • omi-x-stitch
    Options
    We recently had a meal out, 6 of us. The restaurant had omitted to bill us for all 6 main meals which came to just under £100. We decided to play honest and point it out. What did we get in return? a half-hearted "thank you". That will make me think twice in future whether to be honest!
  • Beyond_Reason
    Options
    £28.50 for ONE meal?? This is why I don't eat out!

It'd be interesting to know what the person decided to do in the end - we never get to find out with these moral dilemmas, do we?
  • YelloJello
    Options
    If it was me, I would most definatly pay if it was a small, family run hotel, but if it was a chain, I would go back, have a meal in their resturant and leave a whopping great big cash tip for the waiting staff :-) :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure