Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robertdaw
    • By Robertdaw 22nd Sep 19, 3:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Robertdaw
    Buying hobby goods from USA
    • 22nd Sep 19, 3:05 PM
    Buying hobby goods from USA 22nd Sep 19 at 3:05 PM
    I am thinking of buying goods off of eBay for my hobby purposes that would be sold and dispatched from the USA. The value would be circa 100. I am wondering if it is better to buy before Brexit or after. My concerns are mainly to do with delays and administration rather than tax as I don't think the tax situation will change for some time. I guess though exchange rates may change quite a bit also after a Brexit.
Page 1
    • billionne
    • By billionne 23rd Sep 19, 8:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    billionne
    • 23rd Sep 19, 8:22 AM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 8:22 AM
    I am thinking of buying goods off of eBay for my hobby purposes that would be sold and dispatched from the USA. The value would be circa 100. I am wondering if it is better to buy before Brexit or after. My concerns are mainly to do with delays and administration rather than tax as I don't think the tax situation will change for some time. I guess though exchange rates may change quite a bit also after a Brexit.
    Originally posted by Robertdaw
    The money markets are full of people who think they can guess (although they may not agree with that term) exchange rate movements.

If you are similarly minded, don't worry about buying goods off ebay, join them and make (or probably lose!) your fortune.

The only other thing you need to do is guess if and when Brexit ever happens.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your nice day out
    • Dox
    • By Dox 23rd Sep 19, 11:22 PM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Dox
    • 23rd Sep 19, 11:22 PM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 11:22 PM
    If you're using ebay's Global Shipping Program (or rather the US seller is), I wouldn't worry about Brexit impacting on delivery times.

I guess you'll have read ebay's guide, but in case not: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-purchases-postage-buy?id=4057
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 24th Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 24th Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    • 24th Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    Just in case anyone hadn't noticed, USA isn't in Europe. :/
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 24th Sep 19, 4:09 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 24th Sep 19, 4:09 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 4:09 PM
    Just in case anyone hadn't noticed, USA isn't in Europe. :/
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    No, but with mountains of parcels from Europe having to then be charged customs instead of sailing through, I think people are worried about it causing delays - any change to the system usually takes a while to settle in.

(Exchange rates have already plummeted but HMRC have published October's rates - the rates they use to calculate customs values and fees - and USD has gone up slightly compared to this month. Whether they'll get better or worse after that, who knows )
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    • 62,864 Posts
    • 45,254 Thanks
    soolin
    • 24th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    No, but with mountains of parcels from Europe having to then be charged customs instead of sailing through, I think people are worried about it causing delays - any change to the system usually takes a while to settle in.

(Exchange rates have already plummeted but HMRC have published October's rates - the rates they use to calculate customs values and fees - and USD has gone up slightly compared to this month. Whether they'll get better or worse after that, who knows )
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    I wasn't aware that HMRC has said that arrangements for import fees will apply if Brexit ever happens?

Also, even if it does it is over a month away still so plenty of time to be ahead of any anticipated rush.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 24th Sep 19, 10:23 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:23 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:23 PM
    I wasn't aware that HMRC has said that arrangements for import fees will apply if Brexit ever happens?

Also, even if it does it is over a month away still so plenty of time to be ahead of any anticipated rush.
    Originally posted by soolin
    True, it would depend on whether there is a deal or not, and I have no idea of any proposed timescales. What I meant but failed to communicate was that's the perception, the reasoning behind why people take it into consideration when thinking about buying from abroad after Brexit, not just from the EU.

Edit: there is a proposal to suspend customs duties for a period and allow business buyers to pay them later, but whether that would affect individuals buying from abroad I don't know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,654Posts Today

7,759Users online

Martin's Twitter