Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick R
    • By MSE Nick R 20th Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Nick R
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 12:26 PM
    Sainsbury’s is quietly trialling its new Nectar loyalty scheme across the country, with shoppers across much of the UK now able to boost their points by pre-selecting offers on certain products...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide
    '

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 2
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 26th Sep 19, 10:22 AM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I started reading the article but within 30 seconds decided it all looked too complicated.

I'll continue as I do now - shoving loyalty cards in the slot when I buy stuff, but disloyalty seems to pay well. I buy stuff where it's cheapest and pick up bargains close to closing time!

S'pose I'm old fashioned...
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    That makes two of us. I use a Nectar card but the points are of such little value these days that I don't even think about them when trying to decide what to buy, Price comes first!

It was obvious from the start that the Waitrose scheme was too complicated to work. The fact that Sainsbury's has decided to borrow it (albeit with modifications) just confirms that it is threshing around, not knowing what to do next. Buy Argos, merge with Asda, err - early morning door to door milk deliveries from battery powered floats?

Waitrose and Sainsbury's are both suffering from the impact of Aldi and Lidl and it should tell them something. Unfortunately, it seems to be something they don't want to hear - that there isn't much of a future in being the most expensive store in town !
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 26th Sep 19, 10:30 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    i admit i do shop like a geek and scour mysupermarket before i go shop. and i always try to do a comparison. and in most cases over the last 12 months sainsburys is either on par or slightly cheaper on the items i buy.
    with my nectar card most weeks i have a £4 to £6 off voucher a £30 to £40 shop too. so that brings the price down further.

weirdly i would end up with a £50+ trolley at aldi (and yes i try to avoid the middle aisle) whilst at sainsburys its only a fraction over £40.
    Originally posted by minislim
    I shop like a geek too, and I find Sainsbury's to be the second most expensive shop overall that I have access to (Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Home Bargains and even Tesco are all *much* cheaper). Only the Co-op is more expensive for me (there's no Waitrose available).

My main shop is at Tesco, and it is consistently cheaper than Sainsbury's for 90% of what I buy. You clearly have a different experience!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 26th Sep 19, 10:33 AM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I shop like a geek too, and I find Sainsbury's to be the second most expensive shop overall that I have access to (Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Home Bargains and even Tesco are all *much* cheaper). Only the Co-op is more expensive for me (there's no Waitrose available).

My main shop is at Tesco, and it is consistently cheaper than Sainsbury's for 90% of what I buy. You clearly have a different experience!
    Originally posted by SonOfPearl
    You can add Morrisons to your 'cheaper than Sainsbury' list. I was in a town with a branch of Morrisons this week and it was very clearly cheaper than the Sainsbury's where I do the occasional top-up shop.
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 26th Sep 19, 10:35 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    I'm part of the new Nectar trial and it started out with some great bonus points offers on individual products that quickly earned me hundreds of extra points. Sadly, that seems to have been curtailed somewhat in favour of "brand" offers where you get extra points by making (often big) purchases with other retailers, which don't generally interest me at all.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 26th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    I am already fed up of them offering me money off "my first online shop" and they don't seem to ever have taken the hint that I very rarely spend enough to trigger the offer they've sent me, I certainly don't spend enough to get free deliveries. and popping into store early Saturday morning gives me a free weekend instead of sitting in all day hanging about waiting for a van to turn up. So, no, I don't see any advantage to online groceries, for me.

I may just spend all my nectars on a new Nintendo and turn to aldi if they annoy me much more than this.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • maman
    • By maman 26th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 20,872 Posts
    • 123,756 Thanks
    maman
    I've just skimmed the article on the main site. In fact it's the old article with a few bits added. What struck me was that you can only take advantage of the offers either via an app or a website. Perhaps they're aiming the scheme at young people who'll shop at Sainsbury's because it's near where they live/work and not too budget conscious.

I think there'll be whole tranche of older people who will miss out. I might miss out because I CBA to have another app on my phone. I might look at the website and see if any offers I really want come up in the near future. I suspect it'll be like the till 'spits' (I think I remember people calling them) that encouraged me to buy things I rarely wanted/needed or were for insurance or an online shop or fuel (when we don't have a petrol station) or whatever. With those I just looked for the nearest bin.

I don't think this is going to turn things round for Sainsbury's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q-zBLZEW4
    Last edited by maman; 26-09-2019 at 5:35 PM.
    • suzeworld
    • By suzeworld 1st Oct 19, 10:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suzeworld
    Yup - looks like a lot of fuss for very marginal gains. I am increasingly getting my main shop at Aldi anyway, so a few random points are not going to make me favour Sainsbos. I will be on the lookout for that time of year when the value of the points you have is increased. The chance to buy fancy sherry for my missis will hopefully still be offered!
    • rhialwencomp
    • By rhialwencomp 2nd Oct 19, 12:20 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 13,414 Thanks
    rhialwencomp
    Wonder if it'll now actually work when you want to redeem points online.

I couldn't redeem them a couple of weeks ago, got told it was a "known issue" and they had no time scale for when it was going to be fixed.

But faff with stuff that's not broken instead, that'll help.
    • Clive x
    • By Clive x 2nd Oct 19, 2:46 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Clive x
    Nectar revamp
    Nectar, Clubcard, and all "loyalty" cards are designed to track an individual's purchasing patterns to maximise profits, and to learn which products to push to more effectively tempt them back within a short timeframe to spend more than they otherwise would.
    New scanners ? mmmm . . . wonder who pays for that !
    Prob. not canny shoppers who subscribe to MSE.
    Judging from most of the comments here, Sainsburys are about to shoot themselves in the OTHER foot !
    • economum
    • By economum 2nd Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    economum
    My nectar toolbar has disappeared since the nectar upgrade. It was working yesterday. Does anybody know if it has been abolished? I can't find any reference to it on the new site.
    It was handy to get a couple of hundred points points per month for searching the web
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 2nd Oct 19, 10:44 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Gerry1
    It's a SCAM: Insecure app, Points often don't appear
    The New Nectar Android app is totally incompetent. Amazingly, it claims that you 'Log in securely' but it remembers your card number AND password so there's no security at all. It even reveals your home address, so heaven help you if someone steals your phone !

The scheme is also a SCAM, about half of the points from the Sainsbury's offers never show up.

High time that they were busted by the ICO and Trading Standards.
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 5th Oct 19, 10:46 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    Everything's changed and I don't like it. I can no longer log on to the Nectar website on my computer, only on my phone and tablet. Not only that but having offers on my phone rather than coupons in paper form means I can't give them to friends or family if I don't need them. With paper coupons, even though my nectar card number was on them, they could be used by anyone. I've even picked them up off the floor and used them when whoever they were given to didn't want them. Plus bonus points on paper coupons seemed more generous than the ones sent to my phone, for instance, I had a paper coupon for 1000 bonus points if I spent £50, but the offer sent to my phone is for a measly 50 bonus points if I spend £30. Rubbish!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Oct 19, 2:51 PM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 11,309 Thanks
    KxMx
    https://www.nectar.com

If you use a device where you have the app it will probably divert to opening the add instead. Try a laptop or desktop maybe.

My second lot of offers were much better, 140 points on two items I was buying anyway, cost £3.70.

Even better my store now has free WiFi, good thing too as it's a dead zone for all mobile networks in there!

I'm a big fan of these changes, many more points and everything updates so quickly.
    • Gloria Steeth
    • By Gloria Steeth 13th Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    Gloria Steeth
    I used the app for the first time last week and it was great not having to sift through all the paper coupons in my purse. Smiled too soon, though: as I was paying, the printer churned out 8 coupons (which haven't appeared in my app). Had assumed that using the app would do away with these paper coupons...?

BTW - my thanks to the person who said in the comments section of the main article, that if you spend at least £1 and don't get bonus point items, a scratch card will appear on the app with a chance to win up to 40 points. I only bought milk at a Sainsburys local today and won 20 points. So exciting!

Paper coupon annoyance aside, it's a thumbs up from me!
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 14th Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    https://www.nectar.com

If you use a device where you have the app it will probably divert to opening the add instead. Try a laptop or desktop maybe.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I am using a desktop pc, the same one I used to log in to MyNectar on. Now if I try I get the home page ok but if I click on I already have a nectar card I just get a blank page.

I tried googling a solution and the only thing I could find was something that said I would need to install an emulator that enables Android apps to be run on a pc.

If I shop online I do it from my desktop pc but if I can't log into Nectar from the pc then I can't go through the site to get nectar points when I shop at a partner.
    • Gloria Steeth
    • By Gloria Steeth 14th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    Gloria Steeth
    I am using a desktop pc, the same one I used to log in to MyNectar on. Now if I try I get the home page ok but if I click on I already have a nectar card I just get a blank page.

If I shop online I do it from my desktop pc but if I can't log into Nectar from the pc then I can't go through the site to get nectar points when I shop at a partner.
    Originally posted by grumpyoldwoman
    ^ Are you using Chrome browser on your pc, by any chance? I've just tried it (albeit on a tablet with desktop option selected) and got the same result as you - a blank page. Tried again using Firefox browser this time and the Nectar website is working ok there: can log in, etc.

EDIT: Nectar website works ok with Chrome on my phone - it must be the older version of Chrome on my tablet that's not compatible. Shall shurrup now...
    Last edited by Gloria Steeth; 14-10-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: correction
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 15th Oct 19, 7:17 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    Yes I am using Chrome browser on my pc, also use Chrome on phone and tablet. You're right, it is an older version on my pc. Strange though, that overnight it went from working to not working when Nectar changed their website. I've stopped caring now anyway, I'll be getting rid of my old desktop pc soon as it takes up too much room.
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 23rd Oct 19, 3:50 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Vegastare
    I was thrown into this as one of the 3 trail areas 12 mth ago and was not amused....it clearly locked out the older Sainsbury shopper who does not have app and phone....also the purple demons explaining the new nectar certainly did not care to explain fully and a lot of folk had no idea that they didn't need to sign up to the new app....and could continue as they had previously. Also you could pick five favourites and always get points for these and review and change them. This stopped in August this year and Nectar deemed not to inform anyone!!!
    What it basically does is offer what it thinks you might buy from past buying history. Sometimes this might be as much as 100 points....but the points are worthless unless it is something you want.
    Plus they rolled this out to us a a trial area just after a new Aldi opened down the road.....so my shop includes Aldi first and Sainsbury after and so does half the people in the store

Nothing is cheap in Sainsbury and while it is a decent shopping experience (a sit and a coffee in the cafe) it takes the bsicuit...last week its petrol was 4 p a litre more than the nearby Asda.

Oh and the latest thing....buy a reusable net bag for 30p as no plastic bags for use in fruit and veg. Mind you I quite like this idea as one less plastic bag to worry about.

Hope you enjoy your new nectar
    • od244051
    • By od244051 24th Oct 19, 4:56 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    od244051
    I get offers such as 40 points for buying a cucumber and 40 points for buying a bulb of garlic. Didn't get get these on the printed coupons. Then got 50 points for buying a tin of butter beans. Remember the printed coupon, I had to spend £2 on tinned pulses to get 70 points, The butter beans are 45p (i think) The other week, I had an offer of 120 points for some TTD burgers and saw them in the reduced for 50p - so I made 10p "profit" on these as 120 points is 60p
    • od244051
    • By od244051 24th Oct 19, 4:58 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    od244051
    I used the app for the first time last week and it was great not having to sift through all the paper coupons in my purse. Smiled too soon, though: as I was paying, the printer churned out 8 coupons (which haven't appeared in my app). Had assumed that using the app would do away with these paper coupons...?

BTW - my thanks to the person who said in the comments section of the main article, that if you spend at least £1 and don't get bonus point items, a scratch card will appear on the app with a chance to win up to 40 points. I only bought milk at a Sainsburys local today and won 20 points. So exciting! .Paper coupon annoyance aside, it's a thumbs up from me!
    Originally posted by Gloria Steeth
    I had the app since mid July and took about a month for the coupons to reduce in quantity - still get the odd one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,721Users online

Martin's Twitter