Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DominicM
    • By DominicM 9th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    DominicM
    Cancelled Train Services Refund from the Trainline.com
    • 9th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    Cancelled Train Services Refund from the Trainline.com 9th Sep 19 at 9:27 AM
    My wife and I were unable to make a planned journey from Kings Cross on Saturday due to a fatality on the line resulting in all services being cancelled. Whilst we were inconvenienced we were both sad that someone should end their life in such a violent fashion.

I saw on the MSE site advice about RecentTrainTimes and it shows all services being cancelled between 14:00 and 18:00.

I tried to obtain a refund at the ticket office, however I had purchased tickets through TheTrainline.com so was advised to contact them.

The online reclaim process is simple if a bit archaic in terms of requiring physical tickets to be returned by post.

TheTrainline.com want to charge a 10 administration fee and as is the way with these virtual companies there is no immediate way to raise a query.

Had I changed my plans I would accept having to suffer the admin fee, however as I was unable to travel due to all services being cancelled what are my rights? I would like to reference them in a letter when returning my tickets to obtain my refund.

Thanks in Advance.
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Sep 19, 11:00 AM
    • 25,493 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:00 AM
    But you still used the trainline’s services right? To both buy and refund.
    It wasn’t their fault either and I don’t think they should be expected to run their business of providing tickets for free.

If you had bought from the train company direct then I’d say you have a good point, but you didn’t you chose to buy from a third party companies whose operating policies and terms and conditions you don’t like.
    The third party have provided their service both of providing ticket and providing a refund.
    No harm on trying but i don’t think you’ve got a case.

Is there any reason you chose to buy through a 3rd party where you don’t even like the way they operate rather than directly from the train company?
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 9th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    Trainline charge and rail companies do not. You've now discovered a second reason why not to use them.
    • DominicM
    • By DominicM 9th Sep 19, 12:03 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DominicM
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:03 PM
    Thanks to both the respondents - I am not a Consumer Rights expert but figure if you don't ask you don't get.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    This is the main reason why using third party rail ticket sellers isn't a good idea. Use a train operating company site and you get a 100% refund.

It isn't moneysaving when you have to pay to get your own money back, but it's the way Trainline generate income to survive.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Sep 19, 5:31 PM
    • 13,381 Posts
    • 9,217 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 9th Sep 19, 5:31 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 5:31 PM
    Under the most basic law of contract, they cannot hold on to the money you paid for a service they did not provide, nor charge you for returning that money. The ten pound admin charge is obviously in place for people whose plans change, and so forth.

In your position I would send a Letter Before Action and make a complaint to the regulator (via Passenger Focus).
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 11th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    It doesn't matter where you bought the ticket, you still claim from the train company. Try it.
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 17th Sep 19, 7:44 AM
    • 722 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    oscarward
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:44 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:44 AM
    I had the same situation some years back. On a chiltern to London which was stopped just outside Banbury then reversed back and terminated at Leamington.

My ticket was bought through trainline (company mandatory policy) who initially said they would only refund unused return portion.

I tried Chiltern who refused point blank any refund as under conditions of their charter an event outside their control (fatality on the line) was excluded. So no refund. Annoyingly they also kept the tickets so I couldn't go back to trainline
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 17th Sep 19, 10:00 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 17th Sep 19, 10:00 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 10:00 PM
    We recently purchased tickets directly from GWR and the return journey was delayed by more than an hour.

Put a claim in online and got confirmation of a 50% refund of the total fare within the week.

Very easy process and no hassle. It pays to book direct with the operator wherever possible.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 22nd Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    But you still used the trainline’s services right? To both buy and refund.
    It wasn’t their fault either and I don’t think they should be expected to run their business of providing tickets for free.

If you had bought from the train company direct then I’d say you have a good point, but you didn’t you chose to buy from a third party companies whose operating policies and terms and conditions you don’t like.
    The third party have provided their service both of providing ticket and providing a refund.
    No harm on trying but i don’t think you’ve got a case.

Is there any reason you chose to buy through a 3rd party where you don’t even like the way they operate rather than directly from the train company?
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    You've made this up! It's completely incorrect.

...Trainline.com want to charge a 10 administration fee ....
    Originally posted by DominicM
    Trainline are obliged to refund you the full amount; they are not allowed to charge a 10 admin fee. Sometimes they try it on; be persistent. If they do not treat you well, go to another retailer.

There are many other third party retailers who will treat you better than Trainline but it is not correct to say that a third party is allowed to charge fees in such circumstances. They are not!
    Last edited by yorkie2; 22-09-2019 at 8:16 PM.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 22nd Sep 19, 8:14 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    It doesn't matter where you bought the ticket, you still claim from the train company. Try it.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    This isn't true if the customers are requesting a refund for an unused ticket; this should go to the retailer.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 29th Sep 19, 12:38 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    This isn't true if the customers are requesting a refund for an unused ticket; this should go to the retailer.
    Originally posted by yorkie2
    If you're delayed as long as the OP would have been you should get full refund anyway so it wouldn't matter if you actually travelled or not.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 29th Sep 19, 6:58 PM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    daveyjp
    If you're delayed as long as the OP would have been you should get full refund anyway so it wouldn't matter if you actually travelled or not.
    Correct they get a refund, but it still needs to be applied for and there are two ways.

Delayed journey (even if it was hours) i.e. the trip was made, its Delay Repay from the operator of the service.

Cancelled trip due to unacceptable delay. The ticket retailer.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 26th Oct 19, 7:32 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    I can only reiterate that a refund request for an unused ticket goes to the retailer; a compensation request for a used ticket goes to the train company whose train was delayed or cancelled which caused the delay.

It is not the same thing, and it does matter who the request goes to, even if the amounts would be the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

3,794Users online

Martin's Twitter