TalkTalk charging for emails!

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Elanfan wrote: »
    Broadband was launched by Telewest as a cable service in the year 2000.

That may be true for Cable broadband ... but I was using Internet services (at work) in 1997.

MY first home broadband (Freeserve 56k dial-up using a Frog modem) was in 2001, but that was only because that was when I got my first home PC. It was available long before that.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Usually something like that is not free for life but part of a package .
    1998 was generally dial up pay per min for internet access .

LineOne my first real provider did not offer free for life email .I know as upon first move i was informed i could lose my email some time in the future . Worked on the block deletion of old emails every so often ,
    None of my other internet or BB providers ever said free emails for life .

KEY here is OP claims free email for life with no proof and disagrees with everyone that does not agree with that viewpoint .
    Normal position is that they then start to get ratty / abusive to those who say you are wrong .
  • Takmon wrote: »
    Well it did.....

No it didn’t. Back in the 90s it was all ISDN and dial up - as mentioned above it was after the turn of the millennium that we got snappy Internet. :)

Also I’m not sure what the fuss is about - you’re not their customer, they owe you nothing and if they want to shut down a free service they can.
    You don’t own an email address, they just allow you to use it.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 August 2019 at 4:40PM
    DoaM wrote: »
    That may be true for Cable broadband ... but I was using Internet services (at work) in 1997.

MY first home broadband (Freeserve 56k dial-up using a Frog modem) was in 2001, but that was only because that was when I got my first home PC. It was available long before that.

You're work connection would of been a leased line not a broadband connection.
    your 56k dialup connection was also NOT broadband.
    I was using the internet and bulletin boards quite a few years before 1997 with a 9.6k dialup connection.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    Forumite
    baza52 wrote: »
    You're work connection would of been a leased line not a broadband connection.
    your 56k dialup connection was also NOT broadband.
    I was using the internet and bulletin boards quite a few years before 1997 with a 9.6k dialup connection.

Indeed! But it seems broadband has now become == internet.

Not that a work back then would have been much better. 128k isdn probably.

And at 9.6K I hope you mean many years before! I think I started on 28.8 (if you discount the non internet day of bbs's (sure that's not what you mean?)).
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    My first home broadband (Freeserve 56k dial-up using a Frog modem) was in 2001

Dial-up has never been classified as broadband.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    I think it’s wrong for them to have taken over other ISPs that offered free email and now they won’t stand by that offer

If it’s any consolation I’ve been paying a monthly subscription for an email address since November 1993.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Indeed! But it seems broadband has now become == internet.

Not that a work back then would have been much better. 128k isdn probably.

And at 9.6K I hope you mean many years before! I think I started on 28.8 (if you discount the non internet day of bbs's (sure that's not what you mean?)).

Every time a new speed modem was released i would upgrade. Had the 9.6, 14.4 28,8 56k v90 then straight over to ADSL. i was one of BTs first customers when an engineer had to come out and do a manual install.
    Windows 3 used to rock lol
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    Forumite
    Broadband was launched by Telewest as a cable service in the year 2000.
    No it didn’t. Back in the 90s it was all ISDN and dial up - as mentioned above it was after the turn of the millennium that we got snappy Internet. :)

The statement was that broadband did not exist in 1998. Well ADSL is a type of broadband and was available to certain customers in the UK as a trial in 1998.
    The technology was also in use in other countries before the UK so it certainly did exist.
    But that's really not relevant to this discussion.
    These offers were made as an incentive to sign up with them I can’t swear on the bible that it was a free offer for ever but neither can you make the assertion it wasn’t as guess what - you weren’t there. Woulda shoulda coulda.

Well your the one making the claim that it was offered free for life. As we all know if someone makes a claim something is true then it is for them to prove it when challenged.

If your unable to prove it then we will have to assume it's not true.

But we all know you just made that comment to try and justify your position when you yourself know it wasn't the case ;)
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Hi All

Just to clarify with our new mail plus service you only need to register one account to mail plus. You can then create a My Account and link all other addresses too it.

We have some more info about this on our help page: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-TalkTalk-Mail-Plus/ta-p/2374203

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure