Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Julio72
    • By Julio72 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Julio72
    40 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl?
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    40 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl? 23rd Aug 19 at 11:07 AM
    I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 23rd Aug 19, 11:30 AM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,728 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:30 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:30 AM
    It's a pity they didn't include Aldi in their comparison, because I suspect that would have been marginally cheaper than Lidl.

There's nothing wrong with Lidl quality, and if you are already buying own-brand goods from another supermarket, Lidl "weird brand" goods won't be much different, in fact some of their ranges may actually be better (in particular Dairy, Breakfast Cereals, Chocolate, Bakery).

The only way, really, is to try for yourself. See what you like, see what is a big enough saving to justify odd pack sizes or weird brand names.

edit: Anyone doing a comparison at the moment should be aware that both Aldi & Lidl seem to be having on-going supply problems with Juice & Squash. Lidl is particularly badly affected with the range being smaller than usual, changing frequently, and shelves sometimes being completely empty (e.g. of squash) as customers swap between types in order to get anything at all.

It's sad as Lidl used to have a comprehensive range of No Added Sugar "Juices" that were very good, and good VFM, but they are almost all absent now.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 23-08-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • stingey
    • By stingey 23rd Aug 19, 11:49 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    stingey
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:49 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:49 AM
    Love Lidl and Aldi. Quality and taste of their products have got better over the years. It's a case of trying different items to see what you like. I mix my shopping with Lidl/Aldi/Iceland/Farmfoods. I can then get a balance of good price and branded items I know my family will eat.
    Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I hate you. We need to understand this as a Society
    Each morning we are born again, what we do today is what matters the most.
    Debt-free wannabe....
    May 2016: 53k and counting down.
    April 2018: 34k and counting down
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 23rd Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    I've heard the quality isn't as great
    Originally posted by Julio72
    Go see for yourself then. I have no issues with the quality with the exception of carrots (which have a ridiculously short shelf life) but then again I have issues with the gluten free pasta from Asda and the dog food from Tesco and so on......

The only criticism I do have is that I can't get everything from Lidl but those items are not the every week staple items and as Tesco is right next door, I just get them from there.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 23rd Aug 19, 12:14 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:14 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:14 PM
    It's a pity they didn't include Aldi in their comparison, because I suspect that would have been marginally cheaper than Lidl....
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Why do you suspect that? Do you also suspect Waitrose and the Co-op are not included because they will more expensive than Tesco? What about Iceland?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 23rd Aug 19, 12:21 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:21 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:21 PM
    It all depends on what you buy, but you may still end up having to go elsewhere for certain items, as there are some things Lidl simply don't sell. Never had any issues with quality though, and I've noticed newer branches are getting bigger, so presumably stock a wider range.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 23rd Aug 19, 12:46 PM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,728 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:46 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:46 PM
    Why do you suspect that? Do you also suspect Waitrose and the Co-op are not included because they will more expensive than Tesco? What about Iceland?
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar
    I mean I suspect they would have got another good data point for their survey if they had included Aldi. Waitrose would have been useful, too. I don't think their exclusion is "suspicious".

I think Iceland and Co-op are somewhat different offerings as to make comparison with the others difficult.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 24th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    • 24th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    Such comparisons are not direct comparisons as they can't be. For example, you can buy very cheap eggs or expensive eggs, "own brand", and chicken where most are rubbery or watery however Sainsburys and Asda's own range are not rubbery or watery and are also thick breast meat - those are better value than cheaper.

As a rule from my experiences, Tesco are the most expensive, followed by Sainsburys and Morrisions; Asda are the best for many things however not all; Aldi and Lidl seem to have creeped up their prices over the last years so are not a cheap retailer as they used to be, however perception hasn't as yet cought up on that yet so people still buy there.

Best thing to do is just buy own-brand supermarket items on different weeks from different supermarkets, then decide what is nice and what isn't; then when you go shopping buy different things in each store depending on what you prefer. Remember, "own brand" is made by the named brands, so no snobbery!
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 20,902 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    • 25th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 25th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    Not sure if this is widespread but stock was low in our local Lidl today. We don't shop there regularly so DH planned to buy his favourite muesli and a few large jars of cornichons. Just 4 bags of the muesli and no cornichons.

It might have been the vouchers or the B word. Anyone else noticed?
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 25th Aug 19, 5:08 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    JGB1955
    I prefer Aldi - unlike Tesco, all of their meat is sourced from the UK. I find it appalling that lamb from New Zealand is peddled at the same price as UK lamb. Sainsbury's is also guilty of this, but at least they have some UK lamb....
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 25th Aug 19, 9:45 PM
    • 35,276 Posts
    • 22,260 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Not sure if this is widespread but stock was low in our local Lidl today. We don't shop there regularly so DH planned to buy his favourite muesli and a few large jars of cornichons. Just 4 bags of the muesli and no cornichons.

It might have been the vouchers or the B word. Anyone else noticed?
    Originally posted by maman
    Ah yes the B word, aong with the e and c word where customers buy excess amount of food thinking the shops will be closed for a whole week.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 26th Aug 19, 11:44 PM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Aldi's exclusion will be purely down to the fact they now list hardly any items on mysupermarket for some reason.

A few years back when they did, i did a similar thing (based on stuff i tend to buy) & found ASDA to be the cheapest.

Maybe spat their dummy out when it was used to prove they exaggerate their claims

Would be interesting to see the list itemised to see if its like for like (ie own brand v own brand)
    • falcieri
    • By falcieri 27th Aug 19, 3:59 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    falcieri
    I shop at Morrisons because I save a fortune by mostly buying their yellow sticker reduced items (saved 52 this month) and many of their saver brands are cheaper than anywhere else to start with. However, some prices in Lidl are consistently lower than Morrisons though only a few are good for my budget and because I don't buy branded products. I go to Lidl for single cream, mushrooms, greek yoghurt, tinned mackerel and cream cheese spread which are cheaper than any of Morrisons prices before sale prices. Most of their veg is also consistently cheaper and of a good quality. I have found Aldi and Lidl's prices to be on par with each other so I don't bother with the extra journey to Aldi.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 28th Aug 19, 3:08 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    robrymond

edit: Anyone doing a comparison at the moment should be aware that both Aldi & Lidl seem to be having on-going supply problems with Juice & Squash. Lidl is particularly badly affected with the range being smaller than usual, changing frequently, and shelves sometimes being completely empty (e.g. of squash) as customers swap between types in order to get anything at all.

It's sad as Lidl used to have a comprehensive range of No Added Sugar "Juices" that were very good, and good VFM, but they are almost all absent now.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Our Aldi has had Irish versions of the NAS squash in a different shaped bottle and I actually prefer the taste. Does anyone know what the issues are?
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Aug 19, 7:24 PM
    • 20,902 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    Ah yes the B word, aong with the e and c word where customers buy excess amount of food thinking the shops will be closed for a whole week.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I had a wry smile in Aldi last week. A customer and his son were returning a 'talking' teddy bear. The problem was that the teddy spoke Spanish and they wanted an English one. So this teddy got in to this country now but come November 1st he'll probably be sent back. Unless of course he was South American and could command a 30 000 salary then he'd be fine.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 28th Aug 19, 8:07 PM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,728 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Our Aldi has had Irish versions of the NAS squash in a different shaped bottle and I actually prefer the taste. Does anyone know what the issues are?
    Originally posted by robrymond
    "Mi Wadi" is apparently Ireland's biggest squash brand, and is made by Britvic.

I'm looking for (the return of) the 2 litre NAS Double Concentrate squash at c. 89p. I bought 2 bottles (virtually identical) from Morrisons the other day for 1 each.

• RDA
    • By RDA 28th Aug 19, 9:21 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    RDA
    Was the teddy bear's name Boris by any chance?
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 28th Aug 19, 9:31 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 7,261 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    The main difference between Lidl (and Aldi) and Tesco is their ethos, Tesco are geared towards getting the maximum they can out of each customer that walks through the door consequently they want them to spend as much time as possible in the store whereas Lidl are geared to getting as many customers as possible through their stores and consequently want each customer to spend as little time as possible in the store.

I know which kind I prefer and then you add on how much cheaper they are......

........and then there is the middle aisle

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • Triple Zero
    • By Triple Zero 29th Aug 19, 7:24 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Triple Zero
    I know which kind I prefer and then you add on how much cheaper they are......

........and then there is the middle aisle
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Ah yes, the middle aisle.
    What a fantastic idea: peddle all the tat that manufacturers couldn't get rid of for love nor money because (basically) it's mostly stuff that no self-respecting person would ever need and certainly would never want unless you are being conned into thinking it's a bargain.
    Mostly, and I do stress "mostly", it is tat.
    Yes I know that sometimes both Aldi and Lidl do get some good stock and at good prices but be honest, it's not often.
    And when they do (think: Lidl TV's) there are so few of the genuinely cheap item that you stand zero chance of getting one.

For Aldi & Lidl I don't doubt that it's a great strategy but me, I've found the quality of products to be at best variable and prices not to be as cheap as elsewhere once I've looked, so now I don't bother with the middle aisles.
    From chalk paint that needed twice as many coats as normal stuff to kids shoes that barely lasted a month and duvet covers that didn't survive a single wash, I've learned to ignore them.
    Last edited by Triple Zero; 29-08-2019 at 7:26 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Aug 19, 8:10 PM
    • 20,902 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    I agree that there can be good stuff in the middle aisles along with loads of tat.

Like you I've learned to ignore them, just as I ignore the endless offers on junk food in others supermarkets.

Shop with a list and stick to it is the best advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,114Posts Today

7,695Users online

Martin's Twitter