Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CarolynRach
    • By CarolynRach 20th Aug 19, 11:47 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 395Thanks
    CarolynRach
    Trail Running Shoes
    • 20th Aug 19, 11:47 AM
    Trail Running Shoes 20th Aug 19 at 11:47 AM
    I'd like to get a pair of trail running shoes but I don't wan to spend too much. I'm thinking sub £50 if I can. Does anyone have a pair or a brand they recommend for price/quality/comfort?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 20th Aug 19, 5:54 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 20th Aug 19, 5:54 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 5:54 PM
    I have a couple of pairs of Reeboks that I use , Sawcuts

got them direct from the Reebok store , always have a sale on and you can usually find discount codes online and use cashback sites as well

the ones I got are waterproof ( goretex ) well worth the money
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 20th Aug 19, 9:13 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    • 20th Aug 19, 9:13 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 9:13 PM
    I have just split my favourites, Asics sonoma. New pair are Salomon peregrine, quite like them so far.

Now is a good time to look as they clear out old season stock.

You need to be aware that these preferences are very individual. If you haven't had any before you really need to try on different styles to find what suits.
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 20th Aug 19, 10:45 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    • 20th Aug 19, 10:45 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 10:45 PM
    Get yourself to an independent sports shop, what you think is comfy and fits may not be suitable for your gait, get a professional gait analysis done if your a serious trail runner.
    • CarolynRach
    • By CarolynRach 21st Aug 19, 8:41 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    CarolynRach
    • 21st Aug 19, 8:41 AM
    • 21st Aug 19, 8:41 AM
    Thanks guys! I think I'll wait til the weekend and go round a few shops and see what styles are most comfortable.
    • TomPucci85
    • By TomPucci85 21st Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    TomPucci85
    • 21st Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 21st Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    A decent pair of trail runners are worth it, especially if you like exploring outdoors.

I use trail runners instead of walking boots for longer hikes, lighter on the feet, and a pound off your feet is five pounds off your back.

Can recommend Saucony, Altra and Salomon as solid brands, although a bit pricier.

If you are going to wet places, Goretex is good, but I prefer non-Goretex and some wool socks which will save you money. Once water gets in a goretex shoe (which it will with a low cut trail runner) then it takes FOREVER to air out and dry. non-goretex and wool socks dry as you walk
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Aug 19, 9:08 PM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 20,636 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:08 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:08 PM
    Much prefer Inov-8's for off road running, although I do have a pair of Saucony Peregrines for light trails.
    ďTime is intended to be spent, not savedĒ - Alfred Wainwright
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 24th Aug 19, 12:43 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 24th Aug 19, 12:43 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 12:43 PM
    Get yourself to an independent sports shop, what you think is comfy and fits may not be suitable for your gait, get a professional gait analysis done if your a serious trail runner.
    Originally posted by FluffityBunny
    Iím a bit sceptical of gait analysis in shops. Iíve been told contradictory things in different places.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 28th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    • 13,307 Posts
    • 30,311 Thanks
    andygb
    • 28th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    • 28th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    These aren't bad at all.

https://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/NB1875?ds_rl=1260413&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgP3s5K-l5AIVB7LtCh223wrgEAQYAiABEgLHyPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 14th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    mksysb
    Decathlon do good shoes at a good price

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-825607-womens-trail-running-shoes
    • BenSherman
    • By BenSherman 15th Sep 19, 8:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BenSherman
    These aren't bad at all.

Originally posted by andygb
    These should be normal
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 20,636 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Iím a bit sceptical of gait analysis in shops. Iíve been told contradictory things in different places.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I'd be even more sceptical if they are doing a gait analysis for trail shoes!
    Problem is that a gait analysis in itself isn't worth it unless you are looking at the full bio-mechanics. Not something that I have ever seen in a shop!
    ďTime is intended to be spent, not savedĒ - Alfred Wainwright
    • hareng
    • By hareng 20th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    hareng
    I usually go through two pair a year and tried most out over the last 10 years.
    I wouldnt get eat up over goretex, so far i have only found one thats waterproof a way too expensive Meindyl Philadelphia. Most you will be drenched walking in 1 1/2" high grass from the likes of several pairs of Saloman, Merrel, Mammut and many others all goretex GTX.

Most comfy are the Merrel Moabs by far, had 6 pairs plus 4 goretex.
    Pay a visit to GoOutdoors these are on offer fully recommend although currently on 2nd pair of these on the goretex version. https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/262098/merrell-moab-fst-men-s-shoe-262098
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 21st Sep 19, 7:39 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 1,627 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    I buy mine from decathlon, about £40-£50 depending on which you choose (or less if you want to get the cheapest ones - about £20). I wear them for walking/hiking, not running, & they have good grip & dry quickly when wet. Paired with wool socks, they're ace.
    I also use their road running trainers for my walk to work & back. They're well made, comfortable & last a long time.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 22nd Sep 19, 9:33 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Houbara
    Make sure you go for goretex with the GTX in the model line..OK , the none goretex breathe better but even a little wet long grass will soak your socks pretty quick.Wet socks mean a better chance of blisters

Watch out for Salomon, try the pair on first if you can. .They are narrower and appear to be sized for the Asian foot. I bought a pair for trail walks thinking a size above my normal 9 would be adequate.. Its not. Still a tight squeeze for a 10.. The size 10 Scarpa GTX I bought were a wider and better fit and waterproof .I respray them after a few weeks to help the waterproofing along.The weight of the shoe is important in both trail running and long distance walking.Lower the better
    Last edited by Houbara; 22-09-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

807Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter