Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 16th Aug 19, 5:20 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    EDF to take on failed energy supplier Solarplicity's 7,500 customers - MSE News
    • 16th Aug 19, 5:20 PM
    EDF to take on failed energy supplier Solarplicity's 7,500 customers - MSE News 16th Aug 19 at 5:20 PM
    EDF Energy has been appointed by regulator Ofgem to take on Solarplicity's 7,500 domestic customers after the firm stopped trading...
    Read the full story:
    'EDF to take on failed energy supplier Solarplicity's 7,500 customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Kitchen Sink
    • By Kitchen Sink 16th Aug 19, 5:30 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Kitchen Sink
    • 16th Aug 19, 5:30 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 5:30 PM
    Just posted these links in the other MSE thread

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-appoints-edf-energy-take-customers-solarplicity

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-edf
    • maztucker
    • By maztucker 17th Aug 19, 12:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maztucker
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:20 AM
    My Gas & Electric a mess
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:20 AM
    I was with Solarplicity, around 2 months ago I decided I had had enough of the really bad customer service, so I started the switch for both gas and electricity to Scottish Power. The electric switch was no problem, Gas was due to complete on 27 July. It never completed. Due to solarplicity going under. A company called Toto Energy took over my account, and without informing me took control of both my gas and electric. The first I knew about it is when Scottish Power, sends me a letter saying they are sorry to see me go. I am due to move on the 24 August and when I look on Toto’s website, they don’t even have full control if my accounts yet. Any suggestions about what I can do, I have not paid a penny for my Gas or Electric, since beginning of June because I have not received any bills, so don’t know who to to pay or who to give meter readings to.
    Last edited by maztucker; 17-08-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    • DawnCrush
    • By DawnCrush 17th Aug 19, 7:03 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    DawnCrush
    • 17th Aug 19, 7:03 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 7:03 AM
    I was with Solarplicity, around 2 months ago I decided I had had enough of the really bad customer service, so I started the switch for both gas and electricity to Scottish Power. The electric switch was no problem, Gas was due to complete on 27 July. It never completed. Due to solarplicity going under. A company called Toto Energy took over my account, and without informing me took control of both my gas and electric. The first I knew about it is when Scottish Power, sends me a letter saying they are sorry to see me go. I am due to move on the 24 August and when I look on Toto’s website, they don’t even have full control if my accounts yet. Any suggestions about what I can do, I have not paid a penny for my Gas or Electric, since beginning of June because I have not received any bills, so don’t know who to to pay or who to give meter readings to.
    Originally posted by maztucker
    I see you've not been around for almost 10 years, so I can understand why you would have missed these recent MSE articles.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/07/toto-energy-takes-on-majority-of-solarplicity-customers/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/08/ex-solarplicity-customers-to-get-compensation-after-being-wrongl/

I have no idea who switched your electricity supply from Scottish Power, nor indeed why you didn't object to the switch when SP contacted you with a 'sorry you are leaving' notification.

I suggest you contract Scottish Power to ask:
    1. when they will take over your gas supply as was promised for 27th July 2019
    2. To see if SP will agree to attempt to get your electricvity supply back, despite you not objecting at the time, under the erroneous transfer protocol.

You will receive bills eventually for all energy consumed by the supplier who supplied you at that time (except if/where an erroneous transfer is agreed, in which case you will receive a bill from the originaal supplier as though no transfer had occurred) so do ensure you put money aside to pay these bills when they eventually arrive.

See you again next decade, eh?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 21st Aug 19, 12:37 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    • 21st Aug 19, 12:37 AM
    Same Situation!
    • 21st Aug 19, 12:37 AM
    Originally posted by maztucker
    Hi there, almost the same situation. Switched to new supplier (no issues), got email saying I was being switched to TOTO out of the blue. I contacted my new supplier and they stopped the transfer request (they had already flagged it as a bit suspicious), I cancelled the Direct Debit that TOTO had no permission to set up, so check your bank account and make sure they do not take any money. I assume that when TOTO took over the accounts they weren't checked for people that had or were already transferring. Have had no final bill and have no idea who to ask to finalise my account. It's a complete mess. Let me know how you get on as any information will be helpful, having read the updated articles I have no idea which of the two energy companies will be dealing with producing a final bill.
    Last edited by N4t4lie; 21-08-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 21st Aug 19, 1:38 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:38 AM
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:38 AM
    Hi there, almost the same situation. Switched to new supplier (no issues), got email saying I was being switched to TOTO out of the blue. I contacted my new supplier and they stopped the transfer request (they had already flagged it as a bit suspicious), I cancelled the Direct Debit that TOTO had no permission to set up, so check your bank account and make sure they do not take any money. I assume that when TOTO took over the accounts they weren't checked for people that had or were already transferring. Have had no final bill and have no idea who to ask to finalise my account. It's a complete mess. Let me know how you get on as any information will be helpful, having read the updated articles I have no idea which of the two energy companies will be dealing with producing a final bill.
    Originally posted by N4t4lie
    The above linked MSE article explains how several hundred (out of a total of about 43,000) accounts were being wrongly attempted to be taken over by Toto.
    The article also gives an explanation as to why.

As soon as Toto were aware of the error, a stop was put in place on the switching of those incorrect accounts, and where the switch had already occurred, they would be returned immediately to the original supplier - the customer being treated as no switch to Toto had ever occurred.
    (Or in your case, you stopped the switch attempt anyway )

Compo will be paid to those affected.

You switched to your new supplier of choice before Solarplicity ceased to trade, and therefore Solarplicity or rather their administartors will be responsible for calculation of your final bill.

If, when that final bill is calculated (and it could take several months!) you are owed money back, then EDF will be responsible for paying that to you.
    If you owe the former supplier money, then either EDF, or more probably the Solarplicity administrator (or their appointed agent) will contact you to collect payment.

Confirmation of this info here:
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-edf
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 23rd Sep 19, 11:41 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    • 23rd Sep 19, 11:41 PM
    Anyone heard from either EDF or Toto?
    • 23rd Sep 19, 11:41 PM
    So far no compensation from Toto for trying to change my energy supply to them, and nothing from EDF regarding my final bill.

Has anyone heard anything from either of these companies yet?

Just trying to work out if it's just me that's been forgotten about and whether it's time to start chasing.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 24th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    • 24th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    • 24th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    So far no compensation from Toto for trying to change my energy supply to them, and nothing from EDF regarding my final bill.

Just trying to work out if it's just me that's been forgotten about and whether it's time to start chasing.
    • Good news, EDF have automatically started supplying your energy - If you'd like to submit your meter reading, you can either call them on 0333 009 6993 - they're open Mon-Fri 8am–8pm & Sat 8am–2pm - or contact them via LiveChat.
    • They'll send you details of your new contract and the terms and conditions shortly.
    • If you pay by prepayment key or card, you can continue to use your existing key/card as usual.
    • EDF would love you to stay with them and benefit from the great service and value that their customers already enjoy. But if you do wish to change supplier, please wait until you have received your contract as this will confirm your new account has been set up.

Solarplicity customers that were recently transferred to TOTO Energy will not be transferred to EDF Energy. If you are one of these customers you should contact TOTO Energy with any questions or concerns.

However, if you were one of those incorrectly switched to Toto Energy, you should already have been contacted by phone, email and text. It would have been explained that you would be switched back, as though no switch had ever occurred to Toto Energy.

If you think you've been wrongly switched and haven't heard anything, you can contact Toto Energy either by email at hellototo@totoenergy.com or on 0800 802 1547.

Your transfer to EDF Energy should be live on supply with them soon. This is dependent on receiving all the information they need to get your account set up.

If you’re waiting for a refund from Solarplicity, they are working with them and the administrators. Updates will follow in the next few weeks. They’ll let you know if there’s anything they need from you.
    Last edited by Benight; 24-09-2019 at 9:39 AM.
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 24th Sep 19, 11:57 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 2,984 Thanks
    Muhren
    • 24th Sep 19, 11:57 AM
    • 24th Sep 19, 11:57 AM

I haven't heard anything from them regarding a refund of credit on my account, so you aren't alone.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• EnergyRookie
    • By EnergyRookie 24th Sep 19, 12:13 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    EnergyRookie
    I haven't heard anything from them regarding a refund of credit on my account, so you aren't alone.
    Originally posted by Muhren
    No one probably has, as explained by Benight above
    i.e.

If you’re waiting for a refund from Solarplicity, they are working with them and the administrators. Updates will follow in the next few weeks. They’ll let you know if there’s anything they need from you.
    Originally posted by Benight
    The 6 week timeframe for final billing that normally is expected when switching supplier does not apply when a SoLR is appointed
    That maybe as a result of the former supplier no longer trading, it is now in the hands of the administrators, and hence not falling under the auspices of the Energy Ombudsman
    • Delburn
    • By Delburn 24th Sep 19, 1:06 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    No one probably has, as explained by Benight above
    i.e.

The 6 week timeframe for final billing that normally is expected when switching supplier does not apply when a SoLR is appointed
    That maybe as a result of the former supplier no longer trading, it is now in the hands of the administrators, and hence not falling under the auspices of the Energy Ombudsman
    Originally posted by EnergyRookie
    The heading of the topic was about EDF, but there are also posts about Toto. You are right about the transfers to EDF.

The transfers to Toto were not part of the SOLR process. Six week billing still applies to Toto. They "must take all reasonable steps to send a final Bill...within 6 weeks..."

Probably for the Ombudsman, or a court to decide what is reasonable in the context of Toto agreeing to take on contracts from another supplier, without the information they needed to administer those contracts, and placing reliance on Solarplicity for that information, when it was known there was a high likelihood of Solarplicity being insolvent.
    • EnergyRookie
    • By EnergyRookie 24th Sep 19, 1:31 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    EnergyRookie
    The heading of the topic was about EDF, but there are also posts about Toto. You are right about the transfers to EDF.

The transfers to Toto were not part of the SOLR process. Six week billing still applies to Toto. They "must take all reasonable steps to send a final Bill...within 6 weeks..."

Probably for the Ombudsman, or a court to decide what is reasonable in the context of Toto agreeing to take on contracts from another supplier, without the information they needed to administer those contracts, and placing reliance on Solarplicity for that information, when it was known there was a high likelihood of Solarplicity being insolvent.
    Originally posted by Delburn
    You are correct, this thread is about the small number of customers who were still with Solarplicity when they ceased trading; they were moved to EDF under Ofgem's SoLR process.

It would also cover those customers who were wrongly switched to Toto Energy when they should not have been, insofar as they would be considered still to be a customer of Solarplicity when Solarplicity ceased trading, and so would also be switched to EDF under the SoLR process. This error was explained here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/08/ex-solarplicity-customers-to-get-compensation-after-being-wrongl/

This followed the agreement and act that the vast majority of Solarplicity customers would be taken over by Toto Energy, as discussed here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/07/toto-energy-takes-on-majority-of-solarplicity-customers/
    (there seemed nothing wrong with this arrangement, it was part of the terms and conditions agreed to by every customer signing up with Solarplicity)

However, best to keep on topic.
    As both N4t4lie and Muhren have both posted in this thread which you had no issue identifying clearly relates to Solarplicity customers being switched to EDF under the SoLR process, I would presume they are 2 of the 7500 customers who were so affected.
    Last edited by EnergyRookie; 24-09-2019 at 1:35 PM.
    • Lily_Rose
    • By Lily_Rose 24th Sep 19, 8:37 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Lily_Rose
    I contacted EDF earlier today and was advised by a very helpful gentleman that they are in the process of contacting all 7000+ customers regarding refunds.

I gave my details and was told that might push me up on the list but it may be 2 weeks+ before I get a call.

Prior to Solarplicity going under, we switched to Tonik however Toto had written to us a few days prior to the switch to say that they were now our energy supplier. Contacted both Toto and Tonik, the switch with Toto stopped however they still took out money despite acknowledging that Tonik were our new supplier! Waiting for them to confirm when they will refund me.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 21st Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I contacted EDF earlier today and was advised by a very helpful gentleman that they are in the process of contacting all 7000+ customers regarding refunds.

I gave my details and was told that might push me up on the list but it may be 2 weeks+ before I get a call.

Prior to Solarplicity going under, we switched to Tonik however Toto had written to us a few days prior to the switch to say that they were now our energy supplier. Contacted both Toto and Tonik, the switch with Toto stopped however they still took out money despite acknowledging that Tonik were our new supplier! Waiting for them to confirm when they will refund me.
    Originally posted by Lily_Rose
    Did you get anywhere with this? TOTO refusing to pay compensation even though they tried to take over my account saying I "Don't qualify," for it. I am so glad I spotted the direct debit and cancelled it before they took any of my money. Never even got an apology for the error or a thanks for bringing it to our attention.

EDF have no record of my account being sent to them so no idea who will settle my account and no chance of any compensation for the account not being settled.

My account has fallen into a black hole because of this with no one wanting to take responsibility, I can only hope it was in debt to them and not credit!

As far as I am concerned EDF should be dealing with my old account.

Has anyone else found themselves in the same position at all?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,384Posts Today

8,050Users online

Martin's Twitter