Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 9th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    • 617Posts
    • 196Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy - MSE News
    • 9th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy - MSE News 9th Aug 19 at 3:00 PM
    Hundreds of ex-Solarplicity customers who recently switched away were wrongly moved to Toto Energy - if you're affected, here's what you need to know...
    Read the full story:
    'Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 9th Aug 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    • 9th Aug 19, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Aug 19, 3:42 PM
    Yes, I'm one of these affected ex-Solarplicity customers who got switched from their current supplier (in my case Co-op) to Toto and knew nothing until the Co-op told me I was leaving on Monday.

I actually left Solarplicity on 4th April 2019.

I'd never even heard of Toto, so was quite surprised when I called Co-op and they told me Toto were my new suppliers. Co-op began processing an erroneous switch reversal request.

I received a letter from Toto on Wednesday and promptly called them. In fairness, Toto were very apologetic and actioned a cancellation immediately.

The response from Solarplicity in the MSE article just about sums them up - all accounts are being dealt with by Toto and they basically don't want to know.

Solarplicity sold Toto duff account details. Useless.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 09-08-2019 at 3:59 PM.
    • Delburn
    • By Delburn 9th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    • 9th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    Solarplicity doubleup direct debits
    • 9th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    The problems at Solarplicity/Toto just keep piling up:

The Ombudsman put out a statement today saying that Solarplicity have continued to take direct debits from customers who had been transferred to Toto.

Very suspicious given their financial position.

ombudsman-servicesdotorg/news/solarplicity-update-aug-09-2019

OFGEM have reported Solarplicity as not paying FIT generators for an extended period:

ofgemdotgovdotuk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-supply-ltd-provisional-order-failure-make-fit-payments

If Solarplicity cannot meet their liabilities when due and the directors won't appoint administrators, then OFGEM need to get on and appoint them.

Sorry I cannot post proper links.
    • Delburn
    • By Delburn 13th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    What a surprise:

ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-protects-customers-failed-supplier-solarplicity
    • Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    • By Chirpy Cheep Cheep 13th Aug 19, 3:41 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:41 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:41 PM
    Solarplicity just gone bust. Can only say I'm surprised I'm surprised
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 13th Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    https://solarplicity.com/advice-to-customers
    • Delburn
    • By Delburn 13th Aug 19, 4:26 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:26 PM
    Take care reading the link to the Solarplicity site. The administrators have not been able to take control of their site.

The are trying to blame OFGEM for their own failures. Their community solar panel scheme is currently still trading because they structured it in a different company, leaving behind the debts of the gas and electricity supply company. A large number of complaints are being reported about this part of their business as well.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    What a tangled web there is going to be for the Solarplicity customers who were "wrongly" transferred to Toto. Having gone thru 3 supplier failures in the last 13 months ,I feel their pain
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Aug 19, 1:22 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Aug 19, 1:22 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 1:22 AM
    What a tangled web there is going to be for the Solarplicity customers who were "wrongly" transferred to Toto.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

Got switched to Toto without even realising Solarplicity had gone bust. Toto claimed that my tariff would remain the same... So I will now be paying 17.51p per KWh and 13.86p/day standing charge on electricity and gas is at 4.23p/KWh & 7.93p/day standing charge.
    Up from 14.85p/KWh for electricity and 3.48p/KWh gas (both on zero standing charge). So much for "no change". I'll be switching to another supplier as soon as I can.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 15th Aug 19, 8:08 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Got switched to Toto without even realising Solarplicity had gone bust.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Strictly speaking, the transfer to Toto was prior to and unrelated to Solarplicity going bust. You do not need to wait for anything. You can switch immediately.

Only customers not transferred to Toto are waiting for a supplier to be appointed by Ofgem.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Aug 19, 10:05 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Strictly speaking, the transfer to Toto was prior to and unrelated to Solarplicity going bust. You do not need to wait for anything. You can switch immediately.
    Originally posted by Stuart_W

So who do I put down as my current supplier ?
    Toto who are still in the process of switching my supply from Solarplicity, or Solarplicity who are no longer trading.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • DawnCrush
    • By DawnCrush 15th Aug 19, 10:47 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    DawnCrush
    So who do I put down as my current supplier ?
    Toto who are still in the process of switching my supply from Solarplicity, or Solarplicity who are no longer trading.
    If you are one of the vast bulk of former Solarplicity customers that were taken over by Toto, then Toto is your current supplier.

Your tariff remains the same as it was with solarplicity (except any early exit fees have been removed), so I'm not sure why you would want to suddenly switch now

The switch occurred between 2nd Aug and 9th Aug, as your earlier post suggests

Got switched to Toto ....
    If you were one of the remaining 7500 customers that were to remain with Solarplicity (including any that were erroneously switched to Toto, and are now being returned to Solarplicity) then Solarplicity remains your supplier until such times as a SoLR is appointed by the regulator.

Ofgem’s advice to Solarplicity’s customers in the meantime is to:
    • Not switch to another energy supplier until a new one has been appointed and you have been contacted by them in the following weeks.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-protects-customers-failed-supplier-solarplicity
    Last edited by DawnCrush; 15-08-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    • TheRoss
    • By TheRoss 16th Aug 19, 4:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheRoss
    EDF now appointed to pick up the remaining Solarplicity customers (and hopefully, to refund credit balances to ex-customers!).

Forum won't let me link to the Ofgem post, but it's on the front page of their site.
    Last edited by TheRoss; 16-08-2019 at 4:49 PM.
    • Kitchen Sink
    • By Kitchen Sink 16th Aug 19, 5:27 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Kitchen Sink
    ^^^^

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-appoints-edf-energy-take-customers-solarplicity

More info here:
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-edf
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 16th Aug 19, 5:48 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 2,895 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    EDF now appointed to pick up the remaining Solarplicity customers (and hopefully, to refund credit balances to ex-customers!).

Forum won't let me link to the Ofgem post, but it's on the front page of their site.
    Originally posted by TheRoss
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-edf:

Iíve left Solarplicity, but have a credit balance. Will EDF Energy pay me this money?

EDF Energy will honour credit balances for both current and past domestic customers of Solarplicity who are owed money.

EDF Energy will review details of any debt or credit on your account. Wait for them to contact you with relevant instructions. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have on credit on your account. The review process can take some time, as EDF Energy needs to get and review your records from Solarplicity. When calculating your credit balance, EDF Energy will deduct any unbilled charges for your supply by Solarplicity. These are calculated by Solarplicityís administrators.
    I feel sorry for EDF.

It appears Solarplicity sold its active accounts (and many old accounts) to TOTO a few hours before its collapsed. I suspect EDF will only inherit a list of ex-customers who are owed money.

Good news for you and me.
    • Delburn
    • By Delburn 18th Aug 19, 10:58 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    Yes, EDF are going to pick up a complete mess. However, they are likely to be able to send OFGEM a bill for the credit refunds and perhaps their admin time. This will get passed on to other suppliers and ultimately the end customer.

Meanwhile Solarplicity will walk away from perhaps £20m of debt. They are now carrying on with the new Solarplicity RAC company which probably will shortly be renamed as part of a strategy to disassociate themselves with the tarnished name.

It can already be seen that Solarplicity have misleadingly deleted references to Solarplicity in their Community Energy Scheme terms and conditions and privacy policy. Not sure how they think they can get away with using the exact company names that are already owned by the Royal Automobile Club and a large window manufacturer.
    • Sally J
    • By Sally J 31st Aug 19, 10:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sally J
    Caught in the web
    I too was transferred over to Toto 4th August. My contract with Solaplicity was ending on 19th September, so switched to Lumo last week, to be switched on 14th September. Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed, which should take about a week or so, by which time, I'm out of contract for switching, as it takes 17 days, so am put on a standard rate until it suits them to unblock me. So just a warning, we're all being prevented from switching.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 31st Aug 19, 11:27 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    I too was transferred over to Toto 4th August. My contract with Solaplicity was ending on 19th September, so switched to Lumo last week, to be switched on 14th September. Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed, which should take about a week or so, by which time, I'm out of contract for switching, as it takes 17 days, so am put on a standard rate until it suits them to unblock me. So just a warning, we're all being prevented from switching.
    Originally posted by Sally J
    I think you will possibly cause undue confusion posting in this thread,

This thread is called :
    Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy

You don't appear to have been wrongly switched.
    Why the sudden urge to switch supplier??? You are on the same tariff as you were on with Solarplicity.
    If the tariff ends on 19th September, you were able to switch from as early as 1st August by my reckoning. Actually you could have applied even before that, as long as the switch did not actually occur before that date.You could have been switched to the new supplier of your choice before the switch to Toto ever occurred.
    However, as you appear to have been correctly switched to Toto, then no money is owed to Solarplicity. All credits or debits have been taken over by Toto as part of the switch agreement between the two companies. I suggest you follow the Toto complaint procedure.

But if you were wrongly switched, you will be treated as never joining Toto. As Solarplicity subsequent to this article/thread commencement announced they were ceasing to trade, Ofgem appointed EDF as the SoLR.
    Therefore any affected former Solarplicity customers would end up with EDF.
    (and on a different tariff from that they were formally on with Solarplicity)
    As per the EDF website:
    We’d love you to stay with us and benefit from the great service and value that our customers already enjoy. But if you do wish to change supplier, please wait until you have received your contract as this will confirm your new account has been set up
    https://www.edfenergy.com/solarplicity-customers
    Last edited by Flt. Lt. Biggles; 31-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 31st Aug 19, 12:01 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed
    I had several different excuses from Toto - First was "OFGEM rules prevent any switching for 21 days", then it was "We don't have all the information from Solarplicity about your [gas/electricity] meter". Final excuse was "Our system automatically objects to any transfer until we have data from Solarplicity and it can not be overridden" - Finally got hold of a "manager" with authority to press the right buttons. Called her out on the bull I'd been given as well as having stern words to say about the tariff I'd been switched to.
    Have been assured that the switch to another supplier will go ahead without any further objections being raised and my tariff will remain unchanged if/when they produce a final bill - Will not hold my breath that the final bill won't be a shambles.

If Toto try to impose any penalty fees for switching, follow their complaints process. It is their incompetence that results in any additional charges, and the lack of information from Solarplicity is not your problem. Eight weeks later, have a go at OFGEM.

• Delburn
    • By Delburn 31st Aug 19, 1:05 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Delburn
    You are getting the normal false statements from Toto. The Ombudsman deals with complaints and does not give out these kind of instructions to companies. This is just Toto's policy of trying to block legitimate switches.

Toto should have obtained the information they need to administer your contract at the point they agreed to take it on from Solarplicity.

Good advice from FreeBear. My recollection is companies have to continue honouring the fixed tariff in most circumstances when you switch away around the time of the expiry date, but the transfer is still pending.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter