Contacted water company when I moved in, they couldn't find my address.. Now chasing arrears....

mamboboy
mamboboy Posts: 105 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 August 2019 at 6:51PM in Water bills
6Back in March I moved to a new apartment. The letting agency said I'll receive a letter in the next week or so from the water supplier to set up payment.

After a week there was nothing, so I rang them directly. The lady on the other end couldn't find my property listed at all (an apartment), but she told me to leave it with her and I'll get a call or follow up letter once it's resolved.

The call ended and that was that. I never heard anything... Until today, where I get a letter from LCS (who I believe are a psuedo debt collector) asking to provide information on who lives at the property.

So to me, it seems neither them, or the utility suppliers know if anyone is here. On top of that, the tenants before me just upped and left last summer (back to Italy), and i've been receiving HRMC, among other debt letters since I've been here... so my worry is they will try and make me pay for their water as well.

I'm just wondering what to do in this situation? I don't have an issue with paying arrears from March, but because this problem was last left with the suppliers, do I have any movement on what to pay and when to pay? From reading threads on here about LCS... I'm under the assumption do not give them any details at all and go direct to the utility suppliers.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Your letting agreement will show when you moved in to the apartment.

As you say ignore the Debt collectors and deal with the water company. If you know the approx. date you rang the water company, they should have recorded the conversation.

I assume you are not on a meter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport