Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oldman
    • By Oldman 18th Jul 19, 5:37 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Oldman
    Amazon Prime
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:37 PM
    Amazon Prime 18th Jul 19 at 5:37 PM
    First, hopefully, this is on the right Forum
    Now I am not sure if this affects just me or many.

It seems that every time I buy an item on Amazon, whether it is a 99p book for my kindle, or a £50 purchase, whatever, I am automatically forced to join Prime.
    Three times this year, on checking my credit card bill, I find entries for Amazon Prime. Now I know this is 'only' £7.99 a month, but as I do not use Amazon enough to benefit from this, it is £96 a year out of a small pension. Every time I use the chat service, the agent agrees that I have not specifically ordered Prime and cancel the subscription, only to find it back on two months later.
    I was told this time that it was due to a "systems error", and I would receive the full refund in 5-7 working days.
    Is anyone else going through this ritual trauma?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 18th Jul 19, 5:39 PM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:39 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:39 PM
    I won’t buy off them because of that.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Legacoid
    • By Legacoid 18th Jul 19, 6:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Legacoid
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:05 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:05 PM
    I also object to the way Amazon often presents joining Prime as the default as I try to complete a purchase - it's verging on dishonest. There is always an option to proceed without Prime, but it's often far from obvious (de-emphasized with smaller font, confusing wording etc). I just take my time and make extra sure I haven't been caught out.

On the plus side I do get a form of revenge on Amazon: when they offer me a free trial (which they do from time to time) I take it, being very careful to cancel a couple of days before the first payment. This way I get a high speed delivery or two and get to watch some of the Amazon video content, all for free.
    • oldernonethewiser
    • By oldernonethewiser 18th Jul 19, 6:08 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    oldernonethewiser
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:08 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:08 PM
    "I am automatically forced to join Prime."

I know there is an option to join but I have never been forced to join before buying anything.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    • 13,475 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    Nor me never ever forced to join Prime .
    Often its the user not looking at the delivery page .
    But when you do sign up to Prime by mistake or not you get an immediate email telling you so.
    Though i do take advantage of the FREE Prime delivery multiple times .
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 4,924 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    I also object to the way Amazon often presents joining Prime as the default as I try to complete a purchase - it's verging on dishonest. There is always an option to proceed without Prime, but it's often far from obvious (de-emphasized with smaller font, confusing wording etc). I just take my time and make extra sure I haven't been caught out.

On the plus side I do get a form of revenge on Amazon: when they offer me a free trial (which they do from time to time) I take it, being very careful to cancel a couple of days before the first payment. This way I get a high speed delivery or two and get to watch some of the Amazon video content, all for free.
    Originally posted by Legacoid
    No need to wait and potentially forget and miss the date, you can cancel the minute you've signed up for the free trial.
    • Legacoid
    • By Legacoid 18th Jul 19, 10:27 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Legacoid
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:27 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:27 PM
    No need to wait and potentially forget and miss the date, you can cancel the minute you've signed up for the free trial.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Good point - at present the benefits do continue until the official end of the trial, rather than abruptly stopping at the point of cancellation.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    To me it is like shopping in a supermarket and they drop something in your basket/trolley that you are not looking for or wanting. And hope you don’t notice at the checkout.

I would rather take my trade elsewhere.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    • 13,475 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    To me its like shopping in the supermarket and they offer to deliver your shopping with no charges .
    I have a majority of my trade with Amazon .
    • prowla
    • By prowla 19th Jul 19, 8:49 AM
    • 10,699 Posts
    • 9,658 Thanks
    prowla
    You don't have to join, do you?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 19th Jul 19, 8:50 AM
    • 8,740 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    buglawton
    It's like store shopping where someone searches the shelves for me. And parking is free and easy, on my own driveway.

The complications of town centre parking, cowboy parking enforcement schemes plus shop car parks being undersized with narrow bays keeps me away from bricks'n'mortar shopping these days.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 19th Jul 19, 8:54 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    To me it is like shopping in a supermarket and they drop something in your basket/trolley that you are not looking for or wanting. And hope you donít notice at the checkout.
    Originally posted by ariba10
    Never been a supermarket that does that...
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 19th Jul 19, 8:58 AM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    ariba10
    Never been a supermarket that does that...
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Neither have I but Amazon tries to.
    • Oldman
    • By Oldman 19th Jul 19, 12:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Oldman
    Thanks for the interest and replies.
    First, I agree, no one frog marches me to the till marked "join Prime Here"
    But, when all you have bought over the past month or so is a few ebooks for Kindle reader, then how come you suddenly find that yet again you are paying for Amazon Prime? This is not a case of ordering a product that needs delivery from post or van. This is not a three days normal or one day pay an exhorbitant fee order. This is an electronic transfer of a book. Even on the occasion of buying a product and selecting three day delivery ( normal delivery, no option to join Prime selected) next month Bingo, you are a Prime member. No email telling you this.
    So there is something called a systems error that does this. Amazing how all systems errors make me pay them, not make them give me discounts. Just saying.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 19th Jul 19, 1:19 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    But, when all you have bought over the past month or so is a few ebooks for Kindle reader, then how come you suddenly find that yet again you are paying for Amazon Prime? This is not a case of ordering a product that needs delivery from post or van. This is not a three days normal or one day pay an exhorbitant fee order. This is an electronic transfer of a book. Even on the occasion of buying a product and selecting three day delivery ( normal delivery, no option to join Prime selected) next month Bingo, you are a Prime member. No email telling you this.
    So there is something called a systems error that does this. Amazing how all systems errors make me pay them, not make them give me discounts. Just saying.
    Originally posted by Oldman
    The only things I have bought from Amazon this year is 20-25ish ebooks, one a week or so yet I've never managed to accidentally be signed up to Prime...I suspect user error and not a system error is more likely.
    If it's happened to you so often why have you not taken screen shots as evidence?
    • prettywowers
    • By prettywowers 21st Jul 19, 1:47 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    prettywowers
    Yet another prime thread started because the OP can't be bothered to read. How tiresome.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 21st Jul 19, 1:56 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I inadvertently signed up to three months free Prime earlier in the year. I was annoyed with myself, but made sure I cancelled more or less straight away. To be fair, they did keep telling me when my time was up. The good thing was we ordered quite a lot of stuff during the three months, so the free postage was a bonus.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 21st Jul 19, 2:10 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    Originally posted by Oldman
    Honestly, you're doing something wrong, not reading the page, whatever. I used Amazon for years without accidentally signing up to prime. I now have prime and love it.

I would strongly suggest that just possibly doing this once is understandable, getting caught out multiple times sounds like carelessness.
    Last edited by seashore22; 21-07-2019 at 2:33 PM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 21st Jul 19, 2:33 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    You can't even use Prime to buy a Kindle book, can you?

If you click on the kindle book and press "buy" I don't think it goes near a Prime option.
    • Moglex
    • By Moglex 23rd Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Moglex
    You can't even use Prime to buy a Kindle book, can you?

If you click on the kindle book and press "buy" I don't think it goes near a Prime option.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Isn't that rather the point of part of the OP's complaint (mentioned in a subsequent post to the OP)?

He said that all he'd done was buy a few kindle books, so how did he get signed up to prime, when prime has nothing to do with kindle book sales?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,334Posts Today

9,229Users online

Martin's Twitter