Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 29th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 2,807Posts
    • 5,049Thanks
    Sea Shell
    It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!
    • 29th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!! 29th Jun 19 at 3:14 PM
    Hi Everyone and welcome to my new thread.

Original thread can be found here... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5631875

As you may know, DH has already finished work and I am also due to finish in 3 weeks time . We hope that our FIRE pot is now enough (our IFA seems happy!)...and so I have made the decision to jump too!!!!!

This is going to be the next adventure, so if you want to watch us crash and burn, subscribe now!!! - Seriously, though, we are confident we've got our figures right for our circumstances and we'll have a comfortable retirement. Our idea of comfortable, would be spending approx 15k-20k pa. We currently average about 13k pa spends.

Anyway, some numbers....

As of today our total FIRE pot stands at....536,129. This is made up of...

DC pension pots - 303,729
    S&S ISAs - 133,648
    Fixed term cash - 69,715
    Easy access cash - 29,037 (net of stoozed CC balances)

Will will also have SP's (eventually) which we'll look to pay-up to max nearer the time (i'm 3 years short), plus DH has 2 DB pensions due to start paying in approx 12 years of c. 8300 in today's money (indexed).

I look forward to your company.

*** Update ***
    So I’ve just been closing off the month end figures for September 2019, and all is still on track. We currently have a “pot” of 548,751.

Our joint pot breakdown is:

Instant access cash - 12,925 (net of stoozed CCs)
    Locked Cash - 88,062 (including notice accounts and fixed term bonds)
    S&S ISA’s - 135,797
    Pension Funds - 311,967
    Last edited by Sea Shell; 29-09-2019 at 8:17 AM.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
Page 20
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 20th Oct 19, 9:06 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Maybe I should rename my thread Alcohol and Running Anonymous.

It's not all I do honest....but running does give me an excuse to have a drink!!! (and an extra biscuit)

A unit of alcohol is approx 100 calories, which equates to roughly a mile on foot (running or walking)

Most wines are actually nearer 10 units per bottle (rather than the 6 you might think), so a large glass (250ml) is about 330 calories.

So about a "Park Run's" worth!!!!

Get in!!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    • Sipowicz
    • By Sipowicz 21st Oct 19, 12:28 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Sipowicz
    Find a smaller park!
    • atush
    • By atush 21st Oct 19, 12:36 PM
    • 17,998 Posts
    • 11,437 Thanks
    atush
    Fleurie is one of the beaujolais cru wines - it is made from the Gamay grape. It is very nice (along with other beaujolais cru wines like Brouilly and Morgons) - well worth buying when they are on offer.

We came back with a case of award winning french wines that included Brouilly and Morgons from our recent visit to our friends in France - supermarket wines there for around 4.95 that we would have expected to pay 11 or 12 for here - so premium supermarket quality. Unfortunately the fuel and road tolls meant they were not such a bargain all in all but it was all about visiting good friends and spending time with them.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

This past summer we spent a few days in Beaujolais, driving around vineyards, sampling and buying wine. Brought back a boot full. Also stopped in Sancerre area at Chateau du Tracy- excellent white wine. Some excellent drinking in the Crus i brought home. Have drunk some already but saving most til at least xmas.

I also bought some of the Supermarket ones too, Saint Amour from Super U.

Even brought home a few decent box wines.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 21st Oct 19, 12:47 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    We've never really been into French wines.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 27th Oct 19, 7:08 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Bit of a non-week this week. The weather has been generally pants, so other than one day break in the weather when we managed to get out in the garden and do some tidying up jobs, we've hardly set foot outside.

I did still go swimming, but haven't run all week (rest week), but i'll be back out their shortly, pounding the pavements.

We've done a few indoorsy jobs though....cleared the loft out and basically filled the garage for stuff to go to the tip/charity.

We've also been through our study cabinets, and realised we probably have enough stationary items to open a branch of Staples!!! We seem to have "appropriated" many plastic wallets, along with boxes of old headed paper, and compliment slips, that'll do for the printer (for own internal stuff) or to make notepads with. We've also had a shredding session.

All quite therapeutic. Nothing else is coming INTO this house, unless it has a very specific need or purpose.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 27th Oct 19, 7:44 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,731 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I've still got a crate and a half of shredding/compost/kindling after our big turn-out and a crate of stationery that won't fit in the cupboard or drawers designated for that purpose. One of the women at work believed that this was a trait of a particular star sign. All of us that were that sign were the same but I would need more convincing. In the meantime I have 4 bottles of Mont Blanc ink for my posh fountain pen that I have not used for about three years.
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 8,973.49/7,000 after Oct
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 2067.30/3k - 68.91% after October
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 109.23% 43,693/40k so far
    MFIT T5 No 2 42,188/59,998 or 70.32% paid after Q3
    My DFD is here
    • ex-pat_scot
    • By ex-pat_scot 27th Oct 19, 9:59 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ex-pat_scot

We've also been through our study cabinets, and realised we probably have enough stationary items to open a branch of Staples!!! We seem to have "appropriated" many plastic wallets, along with boxes of old headed paper, and compliment slips, that'll do for the printer (for own internal stuff) or to make notepads with. We've also had a shredding session.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    AS someone once said: "it's the little things about work that I'll miss when I retire.

The pens, staplers, notepads and rulers".
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 27th Oct 19, 10:25 AM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 29,723 Thanks
    Slinky
    OH decided he was going to put in an order to Viking while I was out, including a ruler as he 'doesn't have one'. I pointed out there are 2 in my office...... so now we have 3 of them...... I shouldn't have left the house.
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 27th Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    shinytop
    OH decided he was going to put in an order to Viking while I was out, including a ruler as he 'doesn't have one'. I pointed out there are 2 in my office...... so now we have 3 of them...... I shouldn't have left the house.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I wonder if you have the same situation as in your house as I do in mine. No matter how careful I am about putting things back precisely as they were, whenever I use any of 'our' rulers, scissors, sellotape, etc., I seem to end up having moved something, made a mess or otherwise committed some other sort of tidiness transgression. Sometimes it's just easier to have your own stuff.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 28th Oct 19, 5:16 PM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 29,723 Thanks
    Slinky
    I wonder if you have the same situation as in your house as I do in mine. No matter how careful I am about putting things back precisely as they were, whenever I use any of 'our' rulers, scissors, sellotape, etc., I seem to end up having moved something, made a mess or otherwise committed some other sort of tidiness transgression. Sometimes it's just easier to have your own stuff.
    Originally posted by shinytop

Nothing like that, he just decided to do a stationery order while I was out and not bother mentioning his lack of ruler 12 inch ruler (he has a 15 inch one but apparently needs something smaller). The two I have are fully visible in my office sticking out of mugs holding pens and I'm not the slightest bit possessive of them! Didn't bother to ask if I needed anything either..... I'm sure I'll get over it...
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 29th Oct 19, 12:06 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    coyrls
    Nothing like that, he just decided to do a stationery order while I was out and not bother mentioning his lack of ruler 12 inch ruler (he has a 15 inch one but apparently needs something smaller). The two I have are fully visible in my office sticking out of mugs holding pens and I'm not the slightest bit possessive of them! Didn't bother to ask if I needed anything either..... I'm sure I'll get over it...
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Warning, there is no budget for ruler purchases even for a comfortable retirement, according to https://www.retirementlivingstandards.org.uk/, Paper, Calendar, Diary, Glue, Note paper, Envelopes, Biros, Sellotape yes, Rulers no.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 29th Oct 19, 12:14 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I guess us "poor" retirees will have to just wait for Aldi's back to school specials!!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 30th Oct 19, 7:51 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I've made my first Facebook Marketplace sale!!!! - Only 10, but hey, that'll buy our post cinema fish & chip supper next week. (or go in the Ruler replacement fund!! )

Have got lots still to list, but I've had so many time-wasters, it been a bit disheartening, but as they say "you have to kiss a few frogs to find a prince".

In other news, as the sun's been shining we've been for a couple of lovely walks 5 & 3 miles. bit squelchy in places, but that's what Gaiters are for!!!
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 30th Oct 19, 8:07 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    shinytop
    I've made my first Facebook Marketplace sale!!!! - Only 10, but hey, that'll buy our post cinema fish & chip supper next week. (or go in the Ruler replacement fund!! )

Have got lots still to list, but I've had so many time-wasters, it been a bit disheartening, but as they say "you have to kiss a few frogs to find a prince".
    Facebook marketplace is terrible for timewasters. I've been trying to give stuff away and you get so many responses and questions, sometimes multiple ones from the same person. The problem is when you get a message saying 'is this still available' that's been generated by a single tap/click by someone who is on their phone all the time and expects an instant response. I think you just have to get into the mindset of ignoring people, which I find quite hard.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 30th Oct 19, 8:35 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    fred246
    Only 10, but hey, that'll buy our post cinema fish & chip supper next week.
    Pie or sausage may be cheaper. It is a money saving forum.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 30th Oct 19, 8:41 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Pie or sausage may be cheaper. It is a money saving forum.
    Originally posted by fred246
    I love the fish from our local chippy, and we only have them about 6 times a year, at most, so it's a real treat, and so i'll respectfully decline to "scrimp" on this purchase!!!

I might even push the boat out and get curry sauce too!!!

Anyway, i'm off to do my mile swim. Laters.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 30th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 29,723 Thanks
    Slinky
    Facebook marketplace is terrible for timewasters. I've been trying to give stuff away and you get so many responses and questions, sometimes multiple ones from the same person. The problem is when you get a message saying 'is this still available' that's been generated by a single tap/click by someone who is on their phone all the time and expects an instant response. I think you just have to get into the mindset of ignoring people, which I find quite hard.
    Originally posted by shinytop

I'll second this. Had multiple questions about the condition of a desk and chair I was trying to give away from one woman. Could I hold it for her for a week, and finally could I deliver it to her! Nope.

Gave away the packing paper and brand new removals boxes as the company we used couldn't pick them up for several weeks and said we could dispose of them. Advertised on marketplace, was lept on by somebody who said he'd turn up that evening. Turned up in a professional removal wagon. I got OH to go out and tell him he couldn't have them (wanted them to go to somebody who needed them, not a business trying to make money out of my generosity) - cheeky sod. Had to block both him and his wife on FB for having a go at me.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 1st Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Another 3 sales!!! Netted another 65.

Our house will look positively minimalist at this rate!!

"Don't add, just subtract!".
    Last edited by Sea Shell; 01-11-2019 at 2:12 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 1st Nov 19, 10:05 PM
    • 9,405 Posts
    • 21,805 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I love the fish from our local chippy, and we only have them about 6 times a year, at most, so it's a real treat, and so i'll respectfully decline to "scrimp" on this purchase!!!

I might even push the boat out and get curry sauce too!!!

Anyway, i'm off to do my mile swim. Laters.
    I would stick with the fish too. Much nicer than pie or sausage although never had it with curry sauce. Hope you enjoyed your swim. Is bucketing down here.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 7th Nov 19, 10:13 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Not much to report...off to the library shortly and then cinema later, followed by the much anticipated F&C's.

Have spent some of my sales money on some jigsaw puzzles for the Winter, found some new ones for a few s, bargain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,948Posts Today

4,317Users online

Martin's Twitter