Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Jun 19, 2:12 AM
    • 33,884Posts
    • 68,268Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Pension Credit : Savings Credit - Free TV licence?
    • 28th Jun 19, 2:12 AM
    Pension Credit : Savings Credit - Free TV licence? 28th Jun 19 at 2:12 AM
    I have helped a friend apply for Pension Credit and although her household income is a couple of pounds too high for the Guarantee Credit, she and her husband are entitled to 7 a week Savings Credit.

She was also delighted to find that they will have to pay NO Council Tax

My question is : does being in receipt of Savings Credit only, qualify them for a free TV licence when one of them turns 75 (a few years away yet)?
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Page 1
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 28th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    • 5,001 Posts
    • 9,453 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 28th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    • 28th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    I think they are still considering the issue of free tv licences, a petition was sent to Parliament (even though the BBC are the ones giving the free licences or not)

I am surprised your friend gets the whole of her council tax paid because this is normally done upon receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit, not the Savings part.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Jun 19, 7:21 AM
    • 33,884 Posts
    • 68,268 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 28th Jun 19, 7:21 AM
    • 28th Jun 19, 7:21 AM
    I think they are still considering the issue of free tv licences, a petition was sent to Parliament (even though the BBC are the ones giving the free licences or not)

I am surprised your friend gets the whole of her council tax paid because this is normally done upon receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit, not the Savings part.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Thanks for your reply.

We applied separately for the Council Tax, it was based upon low income, afaiu. A very helpful man at the Council Offices worked it out for her.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Jun 19, 3:21 PM
    • 13,461 Posts
    • 6,169 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 28th Jun 19, 3:21 PM
    • 28th Jun 19, 3:21 PM
    Originally posted by Murphybear

Dont think that is right GPC as i have no GPC only savings and get full counil tax refund .
    #
    A quick Google says based upon income
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,135Users online

Martin's Twitter