Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 13th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 155Thanks
    Snwps
    Why is spending money so easy......
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    Why is spending money so easy...... 13th Jun 19 at 9:33 PM
    BUT paying it back so hard??!!

I've always had some sort of debt and it's been up and down all of my adult life. Its gradually been going up the last couple of years and I put it down to poor budgeting and lavish overspending on holidays etc and foolishly thinking consolidation works!

My total debt figure stands at 37,493.25 and is made up of 2 loans, 10 credit cards and money owed to HMRC. This debt is a combined debt of DH and myself but as we share all finances I'll be keeping track of everything together.

I've done a SOA and can see where I'm going wrong. Will post in a while (not quite ready yet). It pains me to say I have no savings/emergency fund and the cars need some work for next months MOTs so that will have to go on the credit card but then they will be cut up so that I can concentrate in shifting this burden.

I'm not going to lie this is going to be boring and slow at times but really want to plan to succeed......I will get there.
Page 3
    • ohshithowdidthathappen
    • By ohshithowdidthathappen 15th Jul 19, 10:24 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    ohshithowdidthathappen
    Depends on the pizza company... the smaller ones aren’t on the online systems.
    Personally, I give delivery drivers 1-2 tip even if bought online
    Total unsecured debt: 8500/45393 81% paid.
    Aiming for DFD of 03/21
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 16th Jul 19, 10:40 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Just logging on quick while in work. 2nd job on Sunday went really well. Everyone was really nice and helpful. It was really busy and time went quick. I done 11 deliveries and only got 1 tip of 2 so you guys may be right in that if ordered by card chances of a tip are pretty slim, but even those paying by cash either had the right money or had their change. Never mind, still extra income so can't grumble.
    Original Debt 37,493.25 @ 25/05/2019 - Now 34,687.54 @ 08/11/2019 - 2,805.71 paid 7.48%
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 16th Jul 19, 6:49 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Other news. I've sold 9 items on ebay and made 40.79 profit after P&P. So its a good start.
    Originally posted by Snwps
    Forgot to mention earlier. I've not sold on Ebay before and was really chuffed when I sold my first 9 items over the weekend. Total sales came to 76.79. I had to pay 36.00 delivery (as done it signed for), then there was Paypal fees and ebay fees which means I made a profit of 28.19! I was a little gutted as it seems I practically gave the items away.

Don't get me wrong it all helps it just seems such a difference. I'm going to keep at it for now, may as well but might have a look at other selling sites. Dont want to use facebook as too many nosey parkers on there.
    Original Debt 37,493.25 @ 25/05/2019 - Now 34,687.54 @ 08/11/2019 - 2,805.71 paid 7.48%
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Jul 19, 8:17 PM
    • 12,294 Posts
    • 32,809 Thanks
    suki1964
    Get a new account on Facebook for just selling, I never sell on Ebay anymore and have a separate account for selling and a different number so even in this small place where I live, unless the buyer who turns up at my door is someone I know, no one else knows my business
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • monz
    • By monz 17th Jul 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    monz
    Following you are doing fab.

Some survey sites I find amazing

Prolific (seen you already joined)
    Opinion Outpost (pay with paypal and can cash in at 2.50, also prize draw of 5,000 - I used to mock this but I won it and got myself out of debt and my son and I to Florida!)
    Ipsos I say - can get amazon vouchers etc
    Valued Opinions - can get vouchers
    I know some people panelbase... its not for me but some people recommend.
    Also Populus - I just cannot deal with 50 wait for cashout xx
    Debt (1/9/14) 6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mum and dad 4,000/4,000
    car PCP - 3,029.82/11,848.25 mortgage - 78,820 o/s currently - paid 7,474.89 (260.30 overpayment)
    Fence fund - 1,200/1,200 holiday 2020 - 300/2000
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 18th Jul 19, 11:49 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    More items sold on Ebay since the weekend and all posted. Profit on ebay currently 51.50. Quite pleased with this and clearing unused items from the house is great.
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 26th Jul 19, 3:34 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Been a little quiet lately and not posted much. Car has been in the garage and MOT now done. Bad thing is that as I had no funds in place for this its gone on the credit card. So debt as it stands at today is 37,189.36 which is just 303.89 less than when I started. Never mind. This has proven that we need savings in place for these situations otherwise I'm just chasing my tail.

Its payday today so have spent some time updating YNAB.

Second job going really well and am enjoying it. Doing around 15 hours per week and the first payday will be in about a fortnight. I'm so looking forward to paying a chunk off one of the cards. I've decided to concentrate now on the largest APR one where the balance at today is 2,554.42 and we're paying interest on this. I've worked out that paying the minimum payment and the 2nd job wage toward this it should be cleared by end of the year. Well that's my aim. Target 1.

Lots of payments due to come out over the next week or so. Looking forward to reducing that debt amount.

Getting started on this journey seems to be really slow. I'm hoping to pick up the pace over the next few months.

We've been growing our own veggies in the garden this year. We're limited with space but things are now starting to grow and it looks like over the next few weeks will be ready to eat. I've already had some french beans and they were lovely. Picked cooked and eaten same day. We are no where near the volume to be able to save cost wise but it will help. Plus will teach the kids.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 26th Jul 19, 3:48 PM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    mark88man
    it does get better, although its a long slog!! - you can't change long term spends/obligations in a month. what you can change in a heartbeat is your attitude and you're doing well with that - then its a matter of ramping up the saving money, the not-spending and cutting down the extravagances

your extra income is a great call - that's pure snowball for you
    Things happen for a reason. Often because we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    Mid 19: CC:15K@0% - Car Loan:9K@2.8% - Mort:124K@2.1% = 148K - down 8k year to date
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 26th Jul 19, 8:13 PM
    • 12,294 Posts
    • 32,809 Thanks
    suki1964
    You have to think of it as a journey. It was explained to me as a train journey. You got on board and you moved forward . Sometimes you ended up in the sidings for a while or stayed at the same station for ages, but you only ever moved forwards, never back

So this time you used your credit card, but you have also paid of some of your debt, you have moved forwards. You are now aware how important a few savings are, you have moved forwards
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 22nd Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Oh my, another few weeks have passed since posting. I've been so busy I've not really noticed how that time has flown. I've been on the forums reading but not really had much to post about.

Its still early days on my journey and we've been working hard the past few months in getting the budget right and workable. I wanted to work on living withing our means and not relying on the cards like we have been the last few years. Its been hard, we've had ups and downs and we have had to use the cards a few times. But the budget is getting there slowly and I've learnt that life ain't always easy and I cant always stick to the numbers I have on my plan. I'm slowly learning to forgive the slip ups and put it down to experience, they will happen.

But the debt is going down for the first time in years. Now that we have a workable budget we're ready to step it up a gear and we should now start to see the figures go down.

I plan on posting more often. Today should be a NSD and tomorrow is payday. I've already filled my pots on YNAB and even though the 'amount to be budgeted' is a big red minus figure it's nice to see all the pots green knowing it will all be ready tomorrow. I can never seem to wait until actual payday lol I also plan on posting monthly updated on last day of the month.

Next big spend is the dreaded uniform shop. We're lucky we get help off the in-laws for the uniform (they're great like that and it really helps). Then once this is sorted there shouldn't be anything in the way until Christmas and that has already been budgeted and saved for with Park Vouchers.
    Last edited by Snwps; 22-08-2019 at 2:40 PM.
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 2nd Sep 19, 11:57 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Just jumping on quickly to give a round up of where we are with the debt busting as at 31/08/2019.

Debt total at 31/08/2019 - 36,420.14

Debt cleared since 25/05/2019 - 1,073.11 - 2.86%

Good points:
    Uniform shop is done and paid from budgeted amount instead of putting on the credit card (as usually happens) Mainly paid from the first wage from the second job
    Have not used the credit cards for a couple of weeks now and budgeting is going well, thanks to YNAB
    Second job going well, we've had some teething problems but overall enjoying and payday this week which will be going straight off the debt (estimated 400-430)
    We have 2 birthdays coming up in September but other than that nothing major this month.

Bad points:
    Really need to get the food shop down plus stop having takeaways so often (spent 123.08 on takeaways last month, this has to stop). This is down to poor planning and being busy and not prepared on those days I'm working the 2 jobs to feed the DH and kids. Will work on this in September.

Emergency fund is coming on nice, it's around the 500 mark and has come from selling mostly on eBay etc. The plan is that once we get to that 1000 to cut up the credit cards. I just cant bring myself to cut them up at the moment for the fear of 'what if' scenario.

So the plan for September is to :
    - Not use the credit cards at all
    - Get the debt figure to below 35,000
    - Food plan
    - Reduce Takeaways

Its going to be a long day today, working all day in job #1, then to college to enrol for my course then off to job #2 until about 9:30pm.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 2nd Sep 19, 8:51 PM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    mark88man
    wow with that amount of get up and go you will succeed and set yourself up for a better future
    Things happen for a reason. Often because we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    Mid 19: CC:15K@0% - Car Loan:9K@2.8% - Mort:124K@2.1% = 148K - down 8k year to date
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 3rd Sep 19, 7:59 AM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 45,647 Thanks
    Pooky
    One way to reduce the takeaways is to always have a loaf in the freezer (give it a shake before you freeze it so you can take out individual slices and make it a "on toast" night instead beans/eggs/cheese etc, cheap and cheerful. If going without a take away is going to cause uproar then maybe plan one a month as a treat rather than a necessity.

We don't do take always as we had food allergies and intolerances that make it far to difficult but we still have the "on toast" night on those days I can't be bothered to do the meal that was planned.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 3rd Sep 19, 4:26 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    wow with that amount of get up and go you will succeed and set yourself up for a better future
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Thanks for the encouragement, it was a long day yesterday but was left go early from job #2 as it was really quiet so managed to get home and sort kids ready for back to school today.

One way to reduce the takeaways is to always have a loaf in the freezer (give it a shake before you freeze it so you can take out individual slices and make it a "on toast" night instead beans/eggs/cheese etc, cheap and cheerful. If going without a take away is going to cause uproar then maybe plan one a month as a treat rather than a necessity.

We don't do take always as we had food allergies and intolerances that make it far to difficult but we still have the "on toast" night on those days I can't be bothered to do the meal that was planned.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    This is a good idea, we always have bread in the house, mainly for packed lunches. This is good to keep in mind, thanks.

I've decided to do some batch cooking this week. I used to do it regular, freeze a left over portion in take away container (cos I have that many ). I've been looking at some recipes and now that the weather is changing I can start doing the usual bolognese, curries, stews and pies and freeze to have at least 1 meal from the freezer each week, plus for those nights where we're too shattered to cook.

I've also been reading up on dump bags, where all the ingredients are put in a bag raw then frozen, then when needed, defrosted overnight in the fridge to cook all day in the slow cooker. This seems an amazing idea but not sure about the freezing of the raw meat. Anyone do this?

So a few payments have come out today. Total debt now stands at 36,281.96.

Cant wait to get paid from job #2 later this week to get that figure into the 35k's

So I'm off home soon, will be making a shopping list and meal planning for the week, with a couple of batch cooking sessions inc. Wish me luck!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Sep 19, 7:37 AM
    • 12,294 Posts
    • 32,809 Thanks
    suki1964
    freezing raw meat is fine, Ive lots of small meat parcels in the freezer and lots of bags of stews/casseroles/curries because I always make way too much. Some only have a tiny portion, others have quite a bit in them. On days where I have literally nothing else available out they come and a meal is ready. Make sure you do label them else you might end up with a small curry and a small beef stew being divided up instead of mixed together Ive done so on many occasions but then my family is used to my totally disorganised organisation
    • monz
    • By monz 4th Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    monz
    Oh yes I do this! I am a single parent. I buy raw meat in bulk, separate it and put in different bags. Defrost when needed. I normally put the date on the outside and ensure I use within 3 months xx
    Debt (1/9/14) 6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mum and dad 4,000/4,000
    car PCP - 3,029.82/11,848.25 mortgage - 78,820 o/s currently - paid 7,474.89 (260.30 overpayment)
    Fence fund - 1,200/1,200 holiday 2020 - 300/2000
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    • 37,582 Posts
    • 23,221 Thanks
    getmore4less
    If I get a hold of cheap meat(RFQS) I take surplus(off cuts if a big joint), cut it into stir fry strips, marinade overnight in the fridge then freeze flat.

Flat is the important bit because you can give it a quick zap in the micro to get the defrost started and then chuck in the wok to finish off.

A meal made quicker than ordering a takeaway.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Sep 19, 6:30 PM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 18,231 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Just popped in to say hi! That second job of yours seems to be making a huge dent to your debts. My debt figure is high so I will be around for a while too. Did your husband get the second job as well?
    Total (Aug 19):58567 52,499
    Loan: 21,657 Car: 14,012
    CC1: 7600 CC2: 6630 CC3: 2600
    DFD:Nov 2022 Aug 2022
    Mortgage: 209,839
    MFD: March 2042 May 2040
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 5th Sep 19, 10:52 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    Just popped in to say hi! That second job of yours seems to be making a huge dent to your debts. My debt figure is high so I will be around for a while too. Did your husband get the second job as well?
    Originally posted by clearmydebts
    Oh I forgot to mention about that, yes he's been contacted my the employer this week to say that he should be able to start sooner than we thought (was originally going to be end of Oct/Nov) but could be within the matter of weeks. We need to iron out some details on how the two jobs will work together but hopefully will be fine. Job #2 seems really flexible so fingers crossed.

Off the back of my previous post regarding the grocery shop. We're trying a new approach this month. Normally as DH gets paid weekly the shop is done on a weekly basis from his pay with top up shops in between. I've drawn up a monthly meal plan and monthly shopping list on a spreadsheet on a 4 week basis and wrote the shopping list for everything needed to make each meal. Then I've printed it off, gone through my stores and crossed off what I already have in leaving what I need to get shopping for the whole of September.

Don't get me wrong I will need to do fresh shop for milk, bread and packed lunch stuff, but I also have a list for those weekly shops to coincide with the monthly meal plan.Also planning on buying more frozen veg to reduce waste (although I will admit I much prefer fresh to frozen veg). Going shopping after work so I'll let you know how I got on.
    • Snwps
    • By Snwps 5th Sep 19, 11:14 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Snwps
    I'm thinking of opening a new savings account. I have multiple with my current bank but having them with online access/mobile banking access is too convenient. It's too easy to think I'll lend 50 from the savings and add back next week. I'm thinking of looking for a savings account elsewhere where I physically need to go into the branch to access the savings. Does anyone have anything like this/have any info where I can get this?

I don't want to lock the money away as it's our emergency fund so may need to withdraw to say emergency repairs etc, so needs to be easy access but not too easy, if you know what I mean
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,983Posts Today

10,343Users online

Martin's Twitter