Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 10th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    • 315Posts
    • 71Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s - MSE News
    • 10th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s - MSE News 10th Jun 19 at 2:58 PM
    Free TV licences will only be available for over-75s who receive pension credit from next June, the BBC has announced today...
    Read the full story:
    'Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 10th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 6,460 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    How many threads do we need?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Jun 19, 3:22 PM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 15,678 Thanks
    Farway
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:22 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:22 PM
    Bad news for me, but a lot of water under bridges & General Elections could take place before then so I'll cross this particular bridge when it comes

PS, not aware of other threads, sorry if duplicating
    Last edited by Farway; 10-06-2019 at 3:23 PM. Reason: PS
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 10th Jun 19, 4:47 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 10th Jun 19, 4:47 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 4:47 PM
    I can see the headlines next June 2020 when a lot of the over 75's are being put into care homes or booted out of the family home as they only had them stay in the home because of them getting the free TV licence anyway.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 10th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    Let's be quite clear on this: this is the direct result of the Conservative government's decision to dump the entire cost of this scheme onto the BBC.

So instead of its being funded by the government (ie all of us) it's now going to be funded entirely by the BBC - and that's despite Theresa May's promise in 2017 to maintain funding for pensioner benefits, including bus passes, prescriptions and TV licenses, until the end of the present Parliament in 2022.

So let's put the blame where it lies - not with the BBC, but the Tory Government.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jun 19, 5:10 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:10 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:10 PM
    I can see the headlines next June 2020 when a lot of the over 75's are being put into care homes or booted out of the family home as they only had them stay in the home because of them getting the free TV licence anyway.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    Not to mention the ones jailed after Capita have kicked in the door.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Jun 19, 5:13 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 16,729 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:13 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:13 PM
    So instead of its being funded by the government (ie all of us) it's now going to be funded entirely by the BBC - and that's despite Theresa May's promise in 2017 to maintain funding for pensioner benefits, including bus passes, prescriptions and TV licenses, until the end of the present Parliament in 2022.

So let's put the blame where it lies - not with the BBC, but the Tory Government.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    To be clear: instead of being funded by all of us through general taxation, it's going to be funded in part by some of us (through the TV Licence) and the remainder by the people who benefit from the service and will have the same option to opt-out that everyone else does.

Roll-on the pensioner wave of Netflix adopters.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Jun 19, 5:14 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 16,729 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:14 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:14 PM
    Not to mention the ones jailed after Capita have kicked in the door.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    To be fair, Capita don't kick doors in.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jun 19, 5:30 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:30 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:30 PM
    To be clear: instead of being funded by all of us through general taxation, it's going to be funded in part by some of us (through the TV Licence) and the remainder by the people who benefit from the service........
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Except that the government has the downright cheek to be blaming the BBC for this - when it's actually the government that dumped the financial responsibility for it from itself to the BBC.

Duplicitous, lying Tories - as always. Johnson would be an appropriate leader (but a hopeless PM!)
    • Benight
    • By Benight 10th Jun 19, 5:37 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    Meanwhile

Boris Johnson has pledged to cut income tax bills for people earning more than £50,000 a year if he wins the race to succeed Theresa May as prime minister.
    The former foreign secretary told the Telegraph he would use money currently set aside for a no-deal Brexit to raise the 40% tax rate threshold to £80,000.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

Wasn't this money supposed to help fund the NHS, as per the big red bus?

Couldn't this money be used to support our elderly?

No, it'll go to give tax break to our already high earners.
    Under this new tax regime, someone earning £60,000 a year would benefit by £1,000 a year, while someone on £80,000 would gain £3,000 per year.
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 10th Jun 19, 5:58 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    Meanwhile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

Wasn't this money supposed to help fund the NHS, as per the big red bus?

Couldn't this money be used to support our elderly?

No, it'll go to give tax break to our already high earners.
    Under this new tax regime, someone earning £60,000 a year would benefit by £1,000 a year, while someone on £80,000 would gain £3,000 per year.
    Originally posted by Benight
    Boris is announcing a new tax regime to buy him enough MP votes to become PM:

"The basic annual salary for an MP from 1 April 2019 is £79,468."
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/
    Last edited by pphillips; 10-06-2019 at 6:01 PM.
    • Section106
    • By Section106 10th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Section106
    Except that the government has the downright cheek to be blaming the BBC for this - when it's actually the government that dumped the financial responsibility for it from itself to the BBC.
    I blame the Government for not having the mettle to scrap the Licence completely.

If it was scrapped then there would be no need for the general taxpayer to be robbed of money to provide the concession for over-75s, many of whom are more than capable of paying the full fee anyway.

A decent Tory Government would privatise the BBC and remove the absurdity of having to pay for an entertainment service whether or not you want to use it.
    • Section106
    • By Section106 10th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Section106
    "The basic annual salary for an MP from 1 April 2019 is £79,468."
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/
    Originally posted by pphillips
    The annual salary for the BBC's Director-General is "£450,000".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director-General_of_the_BBC
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 10th Jun 19, 6:58 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Rich2808
    Sack Gary Lineker - so he can work full time for BT sport - for doing one hour's a week presenting most of the time and the BBC could fund the licence fee of nearly 12,000 over 75s alone.

Throw in Graham Norton and that is a total of around 30,000 over 75s sorted with just two changes.

Keep going...and give some younger talent on less pay a chance!
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 10th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    Since the financial crash in 2008, pretty much every demograph has suffered a real-terms cut in their income, except the OAPs, who have continued to enjoy triple locked pensions, free travel, free TV licences, free this, free that etc. Someone's got to fund all this, and its now got to the point where the working population simply cannot pay any more to fund the freebies for the oldies.

Remember - we're all in it together....
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 10th Jun 19, 7:08 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    A decent Tory Government
    Originally posted by Section106
    More chance of a herd of Unicorns grazing in your garden than a Decent Tory Government.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jun 19, 7:28 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    The annual salary for the BBC's Director-General is "£450,000".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director-General_of_the_BBC

And?

It's a remarkably low corporate salary, particularly for something of the size and complexity of the BBC.

Check out the Moneysupermarket Group (owners of this website) for example. Two directors each had remuneration for 2017 in excess of £1m.
    • Section106
    • By Section106 10th Jun 19, 7:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Section106
    And?

It's a remarkably low corporate salary, particularly for something of the size and complexity of the BBC.

Check out the Moneysupermarket Group (owners of this website) for example. Two directors each had remuneration for 2017 in excess of £1m.
    I might be out of touch, but last time I looked Moneysupermarket Group didn't define itself as a "public service" and fund itself via a compulsory tax on anybody using the internet to access information about financial products or services, regardless of whether or not they used sites provided by the company.

However, if the principle of remuneration being proportional to the size and complexity of the organisation worked for is accepted, then £79,468 is a pittance for having responsibility for helping to run something as large and complex as the UK.
  • archived user
    best news yet
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jun 19, 8:18 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    I might be out of touch, but last time I looked Moneysupermarket Group didn't define itself as a "public service" and fund itself via a compulsory tax on anybody using the internet to access information about financial products or services, regardless of whether or not they used sites provided by the company.

However, if the principle of remuneration being proportional to the size and complexity of the organisation worked for is accepted, then £79,468 is a pittance for having responsibility for helping to run something as large and complex as the UK.
    Your reference to the PM's salary rather proves the point that if public service posts aren't properly funded you end up with incompetents - look at the last two Prime Ministers, for example, and look at the front-runner for the replacement. All total incompetents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,646Posts Today

7,865Users online

Martin's Twitter