Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 690Thanks
    Zarch
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website
    • 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website 22nd May 19 at 1:07 PM
    As many of the regulars know, the Octopus Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about 'Agile' it was a bit limited. ie it didn't show all DNO areas and wasn't complete back to Feb 2018.

So i've written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.
    • All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018).
    • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day's figures.

I've then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
    What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
    Is this stuff useful?
    Could you see this tariff working for you?
    Could a combination of PV / batteries get you mostly over the expensive 4pm to 7pm hump?

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Zarch; 07-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Page 3
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 24th Aug 19, 11:04 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    Its frustrating not being able to edit posts on the phone.

What I meant about is I would completely switch to octopus, as it's cheaper for gas than bulb.
    Apologies for multiple posts
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 24th Aug 19, 11:21 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    JKenH
    Its frustrating not being able to edit posts on the phone.
    Originally posted by Solarchaser

You need an iPhone
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 24th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    No thanks, been there, done that.
    Never again!

It's bad enough my works phone is apple
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 30th Aug 19, 8:45 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    The Agile tariff is now over 18 months old and I was looking back and the history of the pricing yesterday. Geek that I am!!

So, what's driving the price down?
    • More renewables? ie 24hr wind contribution? and more Solar?
    • Overall downward trend in wholesale pricing? (driven by low gas prices?)
    • Octopus getting a better handle on pricing versus demand versus profitability?

Or a combination of everything?
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 2nd Sep 19, 3:59 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Just started the switch to Octopus Go.

17 days to move supplier, another couple of weeks to get a smart meter installed & then a week to activate Go. Mid October should be about right for commencing overnight battery charging.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 2nd Sep 19, 4:07 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    GreatApe
    The Agile tariff is now over 18 months old and I was looking back and the history of the pricing yesterday. Geek that I am!!

So, what's driving the price down?
    • More renewables? ie 24hr wind contribution? and more Solar?
    • Overall downward trend in wholesale pricing? (driven by low gas prices?)
    • Octopus getting a better handle on pricing versus demand versus profitability?

Or a combination of everything?
    Originally posted by Zarch

In the near future there will be significantly more interconntors which should push down prices especially during the warmer nights

One new link to France will be up and running in Q1 2020 and another again in Q4 2020

Over the next five years some 8.2GW of links to the EU & Norway will come online

Of course how much retail prices fall is a different story since retail prices are mostly other costs not electricity wholesale costs
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd Sep 19, 3:26 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Been a while since I posted some Agile prices...... here's last night.

5p per unit for around 6 hours straight from midnight onwards.

This is certainly a growing trend.
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 22nd Sep 19, 5:50 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    You've probably recorded this somewhere but I could not find it; what standing charge do you pay, Zarch?
    Reed
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd Sep 19, 6:52 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    You've probably recorded this somewhere but I could not find it; what standing charge do you pay, Zarch?
    Originally posted by Reed_Richards
    its 21p

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 22nd Sep 19, 6:54 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    1961Nick
    I'm now with Octopus & waiting for my smart meter fitting date so that I can move onto the Go tariff. Hopefully now not too far away from cheap battery charging.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 22nd Sep 19, 6:58 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey

Hi Reed,

Forgive me for "stalking" you but I've been following a number of your posts on various threads with interest, re: E7, smart meters & export, immersion controllers, etc. Following your post on immersion controllers, I was going to point you here with the suggestion of not bothering with an immersion controller and going down the route of TOU tariff couple with metered export. I would place a small bet that this will be a more future proof solution.

Buying electricity for water heating and/or battery charger when it's cheap and selling any spare export may not quite balance in your favour yet (depending on your own usage patterns), but you will avoid the cost of a few hundred pounds of an iBoost plus installation, and also you'll avoid the risk of not being able to get the iBoost to stop competing with your batteries and screwing things up.

Crystal ball gazing a bit, but I think it's a fairly safe bet that the number of time of use tariffs will grow massively in the next few years, making them more attactive as competition increases, although this is speculation of course. Whether you love or hate smart meters there are lots of them out there now (and some of them are even working ) and it can only be a matter of time before the big energy companies look to increase market share by offering progressively more competitive TOU tariffs. I also suspect that legislation / regualtion / taxation will encourage them to do this.

As far as TOU tariff vs. E7 is concerned, TOU tariffs are far more flexible and probably a better solution for most people in terms of cost.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts and what you decide to do - so many options
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 22nd Sep 19, 7:04 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    I'm now with Octopus & waiting for my smart meter fitting date so that I can move onto the Go tariff. Hopefully now not too far away from cheap battery charging.
    Originally posted by 1961Nick
    Definitely the way of the future You're going to be rich, I tell you, rich beyond your wildest dreams.....

And as well as having lots of extra cash to spend, you'll have more time to decide how to spend it, as overnight charging and selling spare export takes much less thinking about than trying to optimise what you do with your solar energy.

All this assumes that we don't get overrun by AI robots first of course - sorry to end with a negative but I know this is a concern that weighs heavily on some forumites minds....
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 22nd Sep 19, 8:42 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    Hi Reed.... I was going to point you here with the suggestion of not bothering with an immersion controller and going down the route of TOU tariff couple with metered export. I would place a small bet that this will be a more future proof solution.....
    Originally posted by mmmmikey
    Hi mmmmikey

At the moment I have an old electricity meter that flashes rEd in between giving me the reading because it was not programmed to cope with electricity going the "wrong way". It's not an Economy 7 meter. I also have an oil-fired combi boiler and no hot water tank but the pipes are long and wide and buried in the screed on top of my concrete floors so I run off a full bucket of water before the hot tap runs hot and then the water in the pipes goes cold again quickly. Since my boiler is as far away from the main bathroom as you can get I think I need to revert back to a hot water tank (that the house must have had originally) in order to give me hot water in a reasonable amount of time. I think I would have to persuade the combi boiler that the hot water tank was a radiator zone.

If I get a hot water tank I might as well also get an immersion heater and use my spare (summer) solar electricity to power it. Since March, when it was installed, I have averaged about 15 kW per day of generation and I estimate I used about half of that and exported half. Since I get paid for deemed export any more electricity I use will be effectively free.

With my PV + battery system I draw less than 1 kWh per day from the grid so hitherto I have paid more in standing charges than I have for electricity. Also it is rare for my battery to run out of charge overnight so there is no virtue (on my current tariff) in paying to charge it overnight as my solar panels will charge it for free the following day.

So all these considerations form the basis for my current thinking. If my deemed export got abolished then what you suggest would make a lot of sense. But I don't think it is the most money-saving option for the present.
    Reed
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 22nd Sep 19, 9:40 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    So all these considerations form the basis for my current thinking. If my deemed export got abolished then what you suggest would make a lot of sense. But I don't think it is the most money-saving option for the present.

All makes sense to me, and interesting to see your "big picture" view. There's lots of discussion on this forum on various aspects in isolation, tariffs, smart meters, batteries, iBoost, etc. but individual consumption patterns etc. are different and there are endless ways of bringing all this together. Very absorbing - good luck with it all.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 23rd Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    With my PV + battery system I draw less than 1 kWh per day from the grid so hitherto I have paid more in standing charges than I have for electricity.

I draw more than that having no battery but still find it worthwhile going with the Ebico zero SC tariff, although it's a fine margin at the moment, now they've put their prices up to an even more extortionate level per unit. If my GF moved in and filled the kettle up instead of just the amount needed (the horror, the horror) that might tip it over.

Today I picked up a cheap digital timer from Lidl, always useful, and as it caters for switching 3kW could be used in the future for TOD tariffs and oil filled rads and the like, just to help keep the fabric of the house warm. Last winter the GCH wan't used as the wood burner sufficed, but a bit of extra heat upstairs wouldn't go amiss.
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 23rd Sep 19, 5:52 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    If my GF moved in and filled the kettle up instead of just the amount needed (the horror, the horror) that might tip it over.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle

I caught mine doing the washing up under a running tap the other day. To be fair, she was only trying to be helpful as I normally do the cooking and washing up, so just a verbal warning was all that was needed

On a slightly less flippant note, it does highlight the importance of everyone in the household being fully signed up to energy saving measures if they are to work satisfactorily.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 23rd Sep 19, 9:40 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I caught mine doing the washing up under a running tap the other day. To be fair, she was only trying to be helpful as I normally do the cooking and washing up, so just a verbal warning was all that was needed
    Originally posted by mmmmikey

Well, we take it in turns to make tea in bed when she visits and I don't want to jeopardise that! Some things you just have to accept, like the amount of TP two women can get through..

But yes, my flippancy was also making a genuine point on the need to keep an eye on tariffs as well as usage. An EV or additional use of an electric shower would make the difference on their own (assuming kettle training went well..).
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 24th Sep 19, 10:16 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    I draw more than that having no battery but still find it worthwhile going with the Ebico zero SC tariff, although it's a fine margin at the moment,
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Lets say I average 1 kWh per day. On my current Bulb tariff that's 20.44 p per day in standing charge plus 13.5p for my 1 kWh of electricity so 33.94p per day. I am about to move to Outfox the Market and pay 10.395 p per day standing charge and 13.02p per kWh so 23.415p per day. I could not find a zero standing charge tariff (In my area) that could beat that.
    Reed
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 10th Oct 19, 5:46 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    LOW, LOW, LOW.

One-third of a penny per unit tonight!!

• mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 10th Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    ....still following this with interest.

I've got to the stage now where 97% of my usage is between 01:30 and 08:30 to take advantage of the E7 4.7p night time rate. I mainly spread it out over the 7 hours to make the graphs easier to read, although some of my usage is for heating early in the morning so the house is warm when I get up.

PowerVault are tuning my battery at the moment to squeeze a bit more out. Once that's done, I'll compress as much of my usage (charging 2 battery systems, heating the hot water and "filling" the storage heaters) into as short a period as possible.

Looking at the chart above, if I could compress the bulk of my use to a 2 hour window, which is probably not unrealistic, I could have been paying <2p per kWh for all of today's usage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,169Posts Today

7,297Users online

Martin's Twitter