Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 3
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    How long is a long time nik v. I thought symbio had only been going 3 or 4 months
    Last edited by Tafrock; 12-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    • Jo Hric
    • By Jo Hric 11th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jo Hric
    Symbio Energy
    So I have been with Symbio Energyfor last 3 months. No issues at all, Very smooth switch i didn't have to do anything just agree and they took care of everything. Drastically improved their website and added Customer Portal so I now submit meter reads there, very cheap prices. I'm also getting my sister to switch as she will save like £30 on a monthly bill. - All this just on Get A Quote page on their website.

highly recommend
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 1:49 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thanks Jo. I've transferred from powershop where we had a very active community of customers exchanging views. It's always good to hear of other customers experiences be it good or bad. I become a customer on April 24th
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    When did symbio provide you with your portal login details Jo. Was it before or after the account transfer
    • Jo Hric
    • By Jo Hric 11th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jo Hric
    Hey Tafrock, After registration you are assigned Customer number which is then used for the Cportal Registration. Quite simple.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thanks Jo

So when do you get this customer number. I have applied to switch. Had 3 or 4 emails but no customer or account number yet. Do I only get it when my old supplier has transferred my supply
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    So I have been with Symbio Energyfor last 3 months. No issues at all, Very smooth switch i didn't have to do anything just agree and they took care of everything. Drastically improved their website and added Customer Portal so I now submit meter reads there, very cheap prices. I'm also getting my sister to switch as she will save like £30 on a monthly bill. - All this just on Get A Quote page on their website.

highly recommend
    Originally posted by Jo Hric
    After switch when did you find they took the first DD payment please.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 7:17 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes I'd like to know that too mable. When was first direct debit taken Jo
    • pooch
    • By pooch 11th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    pooch
    I had a good look at Symbio a few weeks ago and I specifically checked their Ts&Cs for a Smart meter clause and I didn’t see one.

To be honest, given their competitive tariffs, I was very surprised that the obligation to have a smart meter fitted wasn’t in their Ts&Cs;...I either missed it, or it wasn’t there at the time I checked.

However, as you quite rightly point out, the Smart meter clause is there now,...and in a very prominent position.

“8. All electricity contracts require that the site has or is fitted with an SMART meter and by entering into this contract you agree that you will allow us to install such a device (if one is not already fitted). If we are unable to fit such a device due to technical reasons then this will not alter the contractual agreement between us.”
    Originally posted by The Big Bamboo
    Interesting...
    It's still there in their T&Cs

But visiting their site today, I also get the following

Make of that what you will.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 8:52 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    That's pretty much where most companies stand on smart meters to be fair. If you have smets 1 it becomes dumb when you switch provider. Unsure how many smets 2 are installed at the moment
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Apr 19, 8:55 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    It would be useful to receive feedback through this thread on existing symbio customers. How did your switch go, how good is the customer portal etc. Customer feedback seems very thin on the ground
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Apr 19, 9:12 AM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    It would be useful to receive feedback through this thread on existing symbio customers. How did your switch go, how good is the customer portal etc. Customer feedback seems very thin on the ground
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    Can't agree more. However they only started in December 2018 and this discussion board appears to be gathering pace now.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 12th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Very true mable. My switch completes on 24th April one day before yours I think

I have emailed customer service with a number of questions. When can you retrieve any excess credit, how often is direct debit amount reviewed. What happens if you underpay. When will first direct debit be collected. Stuff like that. None of these issues are mentioned in the terms and conditions.

I am awaiting a reply

Also I notice the smart meter clause has changed in their terms and conditions.
    It now says '8. Symbio Energy is currently not offering services of Smart Metering Solutions. The company is currently in the process of implementing and supporting the government
    scheme of offering our customers with Smart Meter Solutions. The company anticipates that we will offer this service by September 2019. If you currently have a Smart
    Meter then the company can operate this as a ‘dumb meter’ and take monthly reads and then switch this back to a Smart Tariff once the Smart Meter Solutions are
    active.
    Last edited by Tafrock; 12-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 12th Apr 19, 1:26 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    My correspondence says I have an 'estimated start of electricity supply on Saturday 20th April.' All around the same date by the looks of things.

Finger's crossed for a smooth transition.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    Unfortunately due to an error on their part the switch was actually completed today. Meaning I have lost my £20 bonus from Eversmart. First of all as compensation Symbio agreed a £10 discount on the first bill but after further negotiation they agreed a further £10 off the 2nd bill. Mistakes happen.

I have now tried submitting my opening read via their site but they require a picture of the meter. However downloaded it but you need to convert the file to JPG. Not sure how to do that. I have instead sent them a separate email with a picture of the meter so hopefully that will suffice.

I have now found out if you go into your account fully you can enter the reads there without the need for an image of the meter.

They also advised they will request the next meter read first week of May and payment will be taken 3 weeks later.
    Last edited by MABLE; 12-04-2019 at 1:54 PM.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 12th Apr 19, 3:14 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Unfortunately due to an error on their part the switch was actually completed today. Meaning I have lost my £20 bonus from Eversmart. First of all as compensation Symbio agreed a £10 discount on the first bill but after further negotiation they agreed a further £10 off the 2nd bill. Mistakes happen.

I have now tried submitting my opening read via their site but they require a picture of the meter. However downloaded it but you need to convert the file to JPG. Not sure how to do that. I have instead sent them a separate email with a picture of the meter so hopefully that will suffice.

I have now found out if you go into your account fully you can enter the reads there without the need for an image of the meter.

They also advised they will request the next meter read first week of May and payment will be taken 3 weeks later.
    Originally posted by MABLE

If you have a PC/laptop, the photo can be easily changed to a JPG file by going into the properties of the file. (This is normally right click>properties)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 12th Apr 19, 3:15 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Excellent. Thank you mable for the update. Quite reassuring that they compensated you for their mistake
    • Jo Hric
    • By Jo Hric 12th Apr 19, 6:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jo Hric
    You would get the Customer Number only after the registration is completed, mine took about 12 days.
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 13th Apr 19, 12:43 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    Nice to see this thread gathering pace, I've been quietly watching & lurking.

I know I said in my earlier post that I wouldn't be switching to them, but I changed my mind & my switch to them completed this week.

I signed up to the 1 year fixed March tariff, which was 21p standing charge and 12p per unit, but since then theres a new april tariff they have brought out which is even cheaper - something like 15p standing charge & 13p per unit.

I asked if I could be switched over to this tariff, but they said "no". It doesn't matter too much, as working it out, for me its only £20 a year less than the March tariff... and still £££'s cheaper than my former supplier.

They do anwer the phone quickly (this may change with the amount of new customers joining), but still very unconvincing when you question them about anything. They don't seem to know the answers, more like their winging it while you guide them.

I've been away on holiday for the week, checked my emails when I got home last night & they have sent me my customer number & asked me to register my account & submit my reading. I tried registering, but it wouldn't let me log in... checked my emails & had this:-

"Thank you for registering to your online account with Symbio Energy.

Once your account is verified by Customer Support team you will be able to login to your account
    using email address and you password.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to let us know. Our email is customerservices@symbioenergy.co.uk You could also call us on 0800 206 2330, Monday to Friday between 09:00am to 06:00pm"

I've just tried to log in again this morning & its still saying my account needs to be verified, so will have to wait until Monday now, as they don't work on the weekend.

There is an option to send the reading and a picture of your meter - I think, without signing into your account (as someone said above), but I'd rather wait until I can log into my account to send it.

Also, to clarify - you don't have to get a Smart meter installed, they said they are removing it from the T&C's. They said they will email me towards the end of the month for a meter reading to ensure accurate billing.
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 14th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    Sooooo, I just checked my emails & in the early hours of this morning (Sunday) they have sent me this:-

"Thank you for registering to your online account with Symbio Energy.

Just to remind you that you can now:

• Update and manage your personal details
    • Submit your meter readings
    • View your energy bills
    • View your consumption levels

If you need to submit any meter readings then you can also do this without logging in by entering your customer reference number and postcode under the ‘Enter Meter Read’ section in the same link as logging into your online account https://symbioenergy.co.uk/customerportal/.

If you forget your password then you can reset this at anytime by entering the email address that you have registered with which will send you a link to reset.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to let us know. Our email is customerservices@symbioenergy.co.uk You could also call us on 0800 206 2330, Monday to Friday between 09:00am to 06:00pm.

Kind regards,
    Customer Services"

Now I'm verified, I logged into my account, where it then asks you for the meter reading, along with a picture of you meter. I took a photo on my phone, transferred it to my laptop, uploaded it to my customer portal, clicked OK, then an error message pops up saying that it has to be a jpg file of no more than 2mb in size.

The picture I took was 3mb...

I googled how to reduce the size of a jpg & found a site called reduceimages . c o m

There I uploaded the picture of my meter, then reduced the quality to 50%, clicked download & the picture is now 432kb, still a jpg, & still looks exactly the same quality as my original 3mb version.

I uploaded this 432kb picture, entered the reading & its now gone through fine.

Had an email staight away with my picture attached, confirming:-

"
    Thank you very much for submitting your meter readings.

Your message has been received by our Customer Services team and we will process this in your upcoming months bill.

Please find the details of the meter reads for that you have submitted:

Customer reference:********

Meter read date: 14/04/19

Current normal meter read: ******

Thank you for submitting your meter reads. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to let us know. Our email is customerservices@symbioenergy.co.uk You could also call us on 0800 206 2330, Monday to Friday between 09:00am to 06:00pm.

Also I should add that when I received my customer reference number from symbio (a week ago), it also stated in the email that I should contact my previous supplier with my final meter reading. But when I rang my old supplier, they said I didn't need to contact them & they didn't understand why symbio had told me to contact them. My previous supplier said it was industry standard for the new supplier to contact the old supplier with final reads, and the customer didn't have to do anything.

I explained I was just doing what symbio had told me, she took my meter reading but said there was really no need to contact them. They will send me my final bill which could take upto a month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

3,414Users online

Martin's Twitter