Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    • 13,651Posts
    • 16,735Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 14th Feb 19, 7:48 PM
    • 2,494 Posts
    • 4,995 Thanks
    dlusman
    I think I was looking at the ingredient list on the revese, and by quick calculation at the checkout deduced that the sugar content could only be 16% max. The ingredient list on the reverse of the pink packet looked scarier - can't find an image online to verify this though!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Sugar is the 2nd ingredient in the berry Granola , and lower down in the Nutty , but only because there are a lot more nuts ( and less Oats ) in the Nutty and less Berries ( and more Oats ) in the Berry .
    Sugar content is very similar - Berry 21.5% , Nutty 19.7% and calorie count is 447 per 100g in Berry and 468 per 100g in Nutty
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 17th Feb 19, 9:48 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Does anyone know if the bon appetito waffles were just a recent random offering? Havent found them since and they are dairy free my children liked them.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Feb 19, 10:41 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,973 Thanks
    maman
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I buy a couple of pots of the plain cottage cheese from Aldi most weeks. I use it on jacket potatoes or on chilli in place of sour cream. It tastes fine to me.

I prefer to add my own spring onions or something rather than buy the flavoured ones although I often have to rifle through and tidy up the shelf to find them.
    • MsPisces
    • By MsPisces 21st Feb 19, 11:23 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    MsPisces
    Lidl & Aldi cornflakes are both disgusting
    Originally posted by nerox
    not tried myself yet but my dad swears by the co ops cornflakes having tried all the various other own brand versions
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Feb 19, 3:41 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,973 Thanks
    maman
    I buy a couple of pots of the plain cottage cheese from Aldi most weeks. I use it on jacket potatoes or on chilli in place of sour cream. It tastes fine to me.

I prefer to add my own spring onions or something rather than buy the flavoured ones although I often have to rifle through and tidy up the shelf to find them.
    Originally posted by maman

Ironically, having posted this yesterday I went to buy some cottage cheese in Aldi today. It's got new packaging and I'm convinced it's a new supplier.

The cheese is less grainy, much smoother and very creamy. I had some for my lunch and enjoyed it.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 13,651 Posts
    • 16,735 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I tried the Soyummy Soya Yogurt from Aldi, and it's very good (very similar to the main brand). At 95p for 500ml, it's pretty good VFM, too.

The Vanilla and Blueberry versions both have quite a lot of sugar in them (though the latter will be partly fruit sugars). That's a pity, but the Plain version has all the green traffic lights, as you'd expect.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 23rd Feb 19, 1:35 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Just a little heads up about salt and pepper products in Lidl.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/761486/lidl-product-recall-kania-salt-and-pepper-mills-glass-food-standards-agency
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Feb 19, 2:59 PM
    • 13,651 Posts
    • 16,735 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Couple of random offers at Lidl at the moment:-

- Red or Green Pesto (190g) - 69p

- Whole small Camembert (250g) - 65p
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24-02-2019 at 6:24 PM.

• puffintail
    • By puffintail 26th Feb 19, 12:43 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    puffintail
    A couple of things that I love from Aldi and buy frequently;

- Almond Butter 170g £1.99 (same as Meridian but much cheaper!)
    - Frozen Berries 1kg £2.39 (really good mix as it includes strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrents and blueberries - all the fruit is a good size too)
    - Organic Milk 1.136 ltr £89p (such a good price and lasts really well)
    - Organic eggs 6 pack £1.29 (I try to choose organic animal products only for the potential for higher welfare treatment)

I'm not such a fan of their fruit and veg generally, the quality/freshness has been quite hit and miss.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 27th Feb 19, 8:58 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 4,926 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Couple of random offers at Lidl at the moment:-

- Red or Green Pesto (190g) - 69p

- Whole small Camembert (250g) - 65p
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Ooh, thanks, I always have one of each pesto in my cupboard.
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 28th Feb 19, 8:58 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Dad got me a pack of 4 'mega chew bones' in Aldi yesterday for £1.29
    Nom-nom-nom
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 28th Feb 19, 10:17 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    I'm not such a fan of their fruit and veg generally, the quality/freshness has been quite hit and miss.
    Originally posted by puffintail
    I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 558/2019
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 28th Feb 19, 11:02 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Dad got me a pack of 4 'mega chew bones' in Aldi yesterday for £1.29
    Nom-nom-nom
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    If thatís him in your avatar he looks a lovely pooch.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 28th Feb 19, 11:16 AM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 15,680 Thanks
    Farway
    I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.
    Originally posted by GreenQueen
    Same here, I think it must be down to the branch, but I do pick & choose. I have seen some just grab the first one of whatever without even a cursory glance at it
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,973 Thanks
    maman
    Originally posted by puffintail

That's a shame. That used to be a frequent comment on Aldi's fresh foods but since they started putting dates on them I haven't had a problem. To be honest the only problems I've ever had had been with onions for a short while and carrots packed too wet.

It might be worth trying again and telling the store manager if you have an issue.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Feb 19, 9:32 PM
    • 31,505 Posts
    • 65,616 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Originally posted by maman
    I've just tried the pineapple, and it's ok but not a patch on Longley Farm. But then again, it's less than 40% of the cost per gram.

I vote with my pocket, and that means not buying either
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 1st Mar 19, 8:06 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    If thatís him in your avatar he looks a lovely pooch.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    That's me
  • archived user
    Is there a problem with Aldi's Snackrite Nacho Cheese dip? On the ticket it listed four varients - mild salsa, hot salsa, sour cream and chive and nacho cheese. I went through the 7 cases that were on the shelf and could not find one - no gaps in the lower cases.
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Mar 19, 4:00 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,973 Thanks
    maman
    Is there a problem with Aldi's Snackrite Nacho Cheese dip? On the ticket it listed four varients - mild salsa, hot salsa, sour cream and chive and nacho cheese. I went through the 7 cases that were on the shelf and could not find one - no gaps in the lower cases.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Don't know about the dips specifically but Aldi often have mixed cases without all the stated varieties. I've had it with candles, lime juice, sauces and cottage cheese to name a few.

I was only thinking today that it would be good if Aldi put up some notices to explain when things go missing. They haven't had soy sauce for weeks. It's probably a supplier problem but it would be good to know.
  • archived user
    Today I bought this from Aldi as bought one from their Special Buys 2 years ago and I can do the perfect poached eggs in them and sometimes I like two poached eggs and will find it easier to do both together.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,992Users online

Martin's Twitter