Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    • 13,648Posts
    • 16,722Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 12
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Does anyone here buy the Ham Offcuts from Aldi (or Lidl if they do it?) The meat quality seems to vary but sometimes looks as good as the deli counter stuff I get from Morrisons. We can spend £4 - £5 on Deli Ham in Morrisons some weeks so tempted to try the Aldi off cuts.

Only concen I have is its a big pack and it says you should eat it within 24 hours of openning. Unless you're feeding a family of 15 or catering for a party, I can't see how anyone could reasonably do that.

So looking for feedback if people do stick to the 24h thing or not. And why it would even be such a short life once openned?
    Originally posted by Lifes Grand Plan
    Iíve tried it and although the packs vary as to contents, pick the right one and itís excellent quality.

Iíd probably stick to the use by date, because use by means exactly what it says, but plenty of people take a chance (I have!) and have no problems. Depends how risk averse you are.

The reason? These are offcuts and presumably rather more prone to deteriorate.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 18th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Would it be possible to divide up into smaller portions and freeze?
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 18th Oct 19, 4:13 PM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    ariba10
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Just finished doing exactly that with some we bought this morning.

Wrap whatever portion size you want and freeze them.

(Been doing it for some time and no ill effects so far)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Yes. No problems so far.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Oct 19, 5:15 PM
    • 20,901 Posts
    • 123,932 Thanks
    maman
    Yes. No problems so far.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Just a query: I'm sure it's still perfectly safe to eat but does it still taste like on the first day when you defrost? I've found that if you keep it in the fridge (beyond 24 hours) it seems to lose its taste.

I agree with others that it's often more meatt/thick cut than more expensive packs.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Oct 19, 5:31 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Just a query: I'm sure it's still perfectly safe to eat but does it still taste like on the first day when you defrost? I've found that if you keep it in the fridge (beyond 24 hours) it seems to lose its taste.

I agree with others that it's often more meatt/thick cut than more expensive packs.
    Originally posted by maman
    Sorry - can't remember. It was some time ago that we used to use it, and as I recall we didn't eat it as it was - it went into something cooked, probably with pasta or something similar.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Oct 19, 5:57 PM
    • 31,479 Posts
    • 65,591 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Aldi's handcooked crisps (6x25g) are well worth 99p! It also means that I can enjoy them on 6 separate occasions rather than wolfing down 150g in one sitting

I asked Lidl to do the same with theirs some time ago and more fool them for ignoring my request.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Oct 19, 6:22 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Interesting find inside a packing carton of Aldi Chunky chicken and vegetable soup today.

Just one can of Heinz Big Soup - Chicken and Vegetable!

All the other cans in the carton - Aldi Chunky Chicken and Vegetable.

The store doesnít sell Heinz soups, so unless some odd customer slipped one into the outer carton, which wasnít even on top, I think there may be certain conclusions to be drawn........
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Oct 19, 6:39 PM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,722 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Sula or Aldi?

I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 20th Oct 19, 10:05 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Aldi have stopped selling tins of Oxtail soup
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Oct 19, 10:42 AM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Aldi have stopped selling tins of Oxtail soup
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    Hope not - though they were still selling it here on Saturday, when I bought a couple. Good stuff - and almost identical to Heinz, who probably make it for them on the basis of the post third back from this one.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 21st Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 13,310 Posts
    • 30,325 Thanks
    andygb
    Popped into Lidl on Saturday, and they had all the Christmas goodies, but we managed to resist most of them - apart from the mini pannetone for 75p, just right to split between us over a cuppa.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Oct 19, 1:42 PM
    • 31,479 Posts
    • 65,591 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Popped into Lidl on Saturday, and they had all the Christmas goodies, but we managed to resist most of them - apart from the mini pannetone for 75p, just right to split between us over a cuppa.
    Originally posted by andygb
    You've got self-control!

I could wolf down a large one in one sitting

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 20,901 Posts
    • 123,932 Thanks
    maman
    You've got self-control!

I could wolf down a large one in one sitting
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    DH is on his third lot of stollen.
    • rhcp
    • By rhcp 21st Oct 19, 5:32 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    rhcp
    A few things start disappearing off the shelves at this time of year to make way for the christmas stuff, including the aldi value low fat natural yoghurt, which I love!
    • od244051
    • By od244051 23rd Oct 19, 3:24 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    od244051
    Interesting find inside a packing carton of Aldi Chunky chicken and vegetable soup today.

Just one can of Heinz Big Soup - Chicken and Vegetable!

All the other cans in the carton - Aldi Chunky Chicken and Vegetable.

The store doesnít sell Heinz soups, so unless some odd customer slipped one into the outer carton, which wasnít even on top, I think there may be certain conclusions to be drawn........
    There was a story a couple of years ago where people buying Aldi's own Hula Hoops multipacks found packs of the branded ones inside
    • andygb
    • By andygb 24th Oct 19, 2:06 PM
    • 13,310 Posts
    • 30,325 Thanks
    andygb
    DH is on his third lot of stollen.
    Originally posted by maman

I don't like marzipan, I don't eat cake - but I absolutely crave stollen
    I haven't had stollen for a year.
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 25th Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Hope not - though they were still selling it here on Saturday, when I bought a couple. Good stuff - and almost identical to Heinz, who probably make it for them on the basis of the post third back from this one.
    Definitely missing from my Aldi, no space on the shelf any more
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 25th Oct 19, 7:44 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Milk chocolate Lebkuchen Hearts from Aldi @ 89p for 300g are way too good and so easy to eat I will need to get myself banned until they run out of them.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Oct 19, 10:40 AM
    • 31,479 Posts
    • 65,591 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Milk chocolate Lebkuchen Hearts from Aldi @ 89p for 300g are way too good and so easy to eat I will need to get myself banned until they run out of them.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    I keep on hearing good reviews but despite my love for all things cake-y have never quite taken to them. The abundance of mince pies, panettone and stollen dosed with Ballycastle serve me perfectly well in December

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter