Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,417Posts
    • 10,300Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 43
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 18th Oct 19, 2:03 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I have no view on tights myself. I'm happy to go with whatever everyone else thinks regarding the coupon spend. I rarely wear them and the ones I do have have lasted me for an age. I mostly wear the 40 denier with the usual ones for special occasions like weddings.

I have a spend to declare. I have been looking for a decent sized leather handbag to use at weekends as the one I currently have is too small and my rucksack I use during the week for walking to work etc is too awkward. I went into a charity shop the other day and saw one which I wasn't sure about so I left it and looked round a few more shops with no real success. Anyway I have been thinking about it ever since and went back to the shop and they still had it. It was obviously meant to be. I am now the proud owner of a leather handbag, second hand, for £15.00. That is what I call a bargain.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I have no view on tights myself. I'm happy to go with whatever everyone else thinks regarding the coupon spend. I rarely wear them and the ones I do have have lasted me for an age. I mostly wear the 40 denier with the usual ones for special occasions like weddings.

I have a spend to declare. I have been looking for a decent sized leather handbag to use at weekends as the one I currently have is too small and my rucksack I use during the week for walking to work etc is too awkward. I went into a charity shop the other day and saw one which I wasn't sure about so I left it and looked round a few more shops with no real success. Anyway I have been thinking about it ever since and went back to the shop and they still had it. It was obviously meant to be. I am now the proud owner of a leather handbag, second hand, for £15.00. That is what I call a bargain.
    Originally posted by Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    It may be a spend of £15 in cash, but it isn't a coupon-spend, as second-hand things cost NO COUPONS so it's even more of a bargain! Well done!
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 19.5 coupons left out of 66
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 18th Oct 19, 9:44 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 38,847 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oooh the overlocker has arrived, and it's brilliant - it's instantly shown me that the Janome was never right, for me at any rate. Several elderly towels have bitten the dust & been turned into face-cloths & cleaning cloths, and a few rags have been cut & seamed in interesting directions! One lovely old slightly-felted Laura Ashley jumper is well on the way to becoming a warm winter jacket; I just need to remember where I stashed the sari trim that will finish the job. The other jumper, a huge old cotton one with beading, proved alas to be too tough, (it was in a very bad way so I'm not heartbroken; it was destined for cushion-hood & we're not short of cushions anyway!) so I've also had a crash-course in re-threading, and it's a (relative) doddle.

So now I hope to be able to tackle my UFO pile and turn a few "old rags" into new & interesting garments. Including my long-standing aim to turn old t-shirts & polo-necks into underwear a little more durable than the multi-packs I've been buying...
    Angie

GC Nov 19 - £356.97/£450
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 11 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • diminua
    • By diminua 20th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    diminua
    I think the last time I wore tights was my brother's wedding six years ago, so I'm going to sit on the fence about that I'm afraid. I do remember what a pain they were when I had a uniform with a skirt.

I have just bought some boots for winter - brown and somewhere between walking and smart if that makes sense - you can only see the toes anyway so they'll be fine for work, and solid enough it I want to go for walks on the way home in winter.

That takes me down to 25 coupons. And reminds me I need to get a winter coat cleaned before it gets colder.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Oct 19, 4:44 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Hurrah, I've finished my new jumper - here it is on the right, with a longer, snugger big cowl neck and shorter less flappy sleeves... and the old supermarket jumper it's replacing on the left, tatty, pilling, wearing thin and becoming increasingly shapeless and saggy!

I'm really pleased with this - I had an item I wore a very great deal that was becoming worn-out, and I was able to find ways to use 7 different laceweight yarns, most of which I already had, to knit as a heavy Aran-weight yarn, to make a very lightweight replacement, that is nicer in many ways than the original and should last years and years. Most of the yarn is silk or alpaca with only small amounts of wool, so it's very warm, soft and light!

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 21st Oct 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hurrah, I've finished my new jumper - here it is on the right, with a longer, snugger big cowl neck and shorter less flappy sleeves... and the old supermarket jumper it's replacing on the left, tatty, pilling, wearing thin and becoming increasingly shapeless and saggy!

I'm really pleased with this - I had an item I wore a very great deal that was becoming worn-out, and I was able to find ways to use 7 different laceweight yarns, most of which I already had, to knit as a heavy Aran-weight yarn, to make a very lightweight replacement, that is nicer in many ways than the original and should last years and years. Most of the yarn is silk or alpaca with only small amounts of wool, so it's very warm, soft and light!

Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Congratulations, Laura, it looks lovely! Nobody would know that you had to dye all the yarn and then match them for tone; at first glance, it looks like you'd used a commercial, tweedy yarn.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 21st Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Thanks, Pip! Wearing it today and it's really an improvement on the original, not simply a replacement!

And it's made me really keen to see what else in my wardrobe I really wear a lot - it was a couple of years ago that I needed a photo for a work webpage thing, and we went through loads of pics looking for a suitable one and it was very odd, seeing how many of the photos, taken over several years, had me wearing the original of this jumper! So I started looking for another similar, but no joy, so...

Now I want to work out what else I have that is a real workhorse, and steadily work to find or make really good-quality versions of those things.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 21st Oct 19, 6:36 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Thanks, Pip! Wearing it today and it's really an improvement on the original, not simply a replacement!

And it's made me really keen to see what else in my wardrobe I really wear a lot - it was a couple of years ago that I needed a photo for a work webpage thing, and we went through loads of pics looking for a suitable one and it was very odd, seeing how many of the photos, taken over several years, had me wearing the original of this jumper! So I started looking for another similar, but no joy, so...

Now I want to work out what else I have that is a real workhorse, and steadily work to find or make really good-quality versions of those things.
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Iím glad you love it. You worked really hard to get the colours to match and flow.

- Pip

• CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 23rd Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    I'm afraid that I'm going to sit on the fence re the nylon tights issue too. I'm tall with long legs 5 ft 8 with 33 inch legs, and I had to endure too many ill-fitting pairs of tights when I was younger, so in my late forties I made the decision that henceforth I would wear trousers/trouser suits with either socks and boots or sandals instead. Best decision I ever made, more comfortable, more practical (I worked in IT infrastructure and server rooms can be cold) and saved me shed- loads of money too. Especially as I have large feet for a woman, and find getting getting suitable shoes that fit properly an absolute nightmare.

I now only wear summer skirts when the thermometer is 25 degrees or more.

The tights I had were used as soft ties for plants
    Last edited by CapricornLass; 23-10-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: getting rid of excess space
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 24th Oct 19, 12:32 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I'm afraid that I'm going to sit on the fence re the nylon tights issue too. I'm tall with long legs 5 ft 8 with 33 inch legs, and I had to endure too many ill-fitting pairs of tights when I was younger, so in my late forties I made the decision that henceforth I would wear trousers/trouser suits with either socks and boots or sandals instead. Best decision I ever made, more comfortable, more practical (I worked in IT infrastructure and server rooms can be cold) and saved me shed- loads of money too. Especially as I have large feet for a woman, and find getting getting suitable shoes that fit properly an absolute nightmare.

I now only wear summer skirts when the thermometer is 25 degrees or more.

The tights I had were used as soft ties for plants
    Originally posted by CapricornLass

What is the thing with the sizes of tights? I just donít get it. At 5í8Ē, you arenít that tall!

Iím 5í4Ē myself, size 14 and Iíve had issues in the past with tights in the UK. When I was growing up in Oz, tights came in short, medium and tall as well as regular and large. Or maybe that is just what I bought. I spent most of the 1980ís nursing, wearing expensive support tights that rarely laddered and cost about $10 a pair. (I wish I remembered the brand.) Once I got here, I struggled to find tights to fit me - often the legs were too long! In the 1990ís, once Iíd got an office job, I wore stockings to work (Debenhamsí own brand, 4 pairs in a pack, £1.99/pack, IIRC). The good thing with multi-buy stockings is that, if you ladder one, youíll still have 7 that can be worn.

These days, Iím back wearing tights because a) I canít find a decent pair of suspenders - my favourite died of old age - and b) stockings are hard to find. At least MrTís own-brand, multi-pack tights fit me. Like you, Capricorn Lass, I mainly wear trousers to work with loafers and hand-knit socks. Since I always buy the skirt (if available) as well as the trousers when I buy a suit, I have been making the effort to wear a skirt to work at least once a week to spread the wear. (NB four of my suits are charity shop bargains which didnít have skirts, while at least two others never had skirts.)

Thanks for the feedback. I think, for next year, weíll go for one multi-pack of stockings or tights for 2 coupons, but with an annual maximum of 8 coupons to be spent on that type of nylons. What do you think?. That will discourage waste as well as meaning people will not spend their entire coupon count on tights.

- Pip

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 29th Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 38,847 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    You'd all be proud of me! Having cleared a space for the overlocker to "live" in, I started to tackle the UFO pile today. First item up was a Fair Isle type cardi snapped up at the recycler's for 50p, due to be chopped into a pair of leg warmers and possibly a skirt.

BUT on closer inspection, it turned out to be a pure new wool hand knitted Susan Duckworth cardigan, underneath a fair amount of West Highland Terrier hair! It had one hole, which I've darned with wool reclaimed from various remains-of-tapestry-kits; it wasn't possible to do an invisible darn, so I've made a little feature of it & changed a small flower shape into a heart. As the (acrylic) cardi I'm wearing is fast reaching the end of its useful life, it'll make a very good replacement for that once the dog hair's safely removed. Provided it doesn't shrink in the wash... (autocorrect seems to think it might "drink" in the wash!)

A kimono has also been re-hemmed, by hand, but that's as far as I got. Next job is to attach an elastic waistband to an ex-jumper skirt, then using a short piece of left-over elastic to join a tribal-style dance belt.
    Angie

GC Nov 19 - £356.97/£450

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 30th Oct 19, 2:27 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    You'd all be proud of me! Having cleared a space for the overlocker to "live" in, I started to tackle the UFO pile today. First item up was a Fair Isle type cardi snapped up at the recycler's for 50p, due to be chopped into a pair of leg warmers and possibly a skirt.

BUT on closer inspection, it turned out to be a pure new wool hand knitted Susan Duckworth cardigan, underneath a fair amount of West Highland Terrier hair! It had one hole, which I've darned with wool reclaimed from various remains-of-tapestry-kits; it wasn't possible to do an invisible darn, so I've made a little feature of it & changed a small flower shape into a heart. As the (acrylic) cardi I'm wearing is fast reaching the end of its useful life, it'll make a very good replacement for that once the dog hair's safely removed. Provided it doesn't shrink in the wash... (autocorrect seems to think it might "drink" in the wash!)

A kimono has also been re-hemmed, by hand, but that's as far as I got. Next job is to attach an elastic waistband to an ex-jumper skirt, then using a short piece of left-over elastic to join a tribal-style dance belt.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Susan Duckworth? You lucky thing! That is quite a find! Fingers crossed it washes up nicely. Is it any one of these?

- Pip

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 31st Oct 19, 4:30 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 38,847 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Trying to add a pic to my Ravelry projects, but my computer is objecting to the camera just now so I can't upload it! Laters... but it's not one of those. It's washed up fine, with a lot less dog-hair, but the darn is more obvious now so I'll make it more "official" before classifying it as a "completed" project!
    Angie

GC Nov 19 - £356.97/£450

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 31st Oct 19, 4:39 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    You can always sit listening to a good radio programme or audiobook and just dab the hair off with sellotape wrapped round your hand...

Well done, though! I still remember the disbelieving excitement about ten years ago when a local charity shop had two hand knitted jumpers for 6 quid each - I even queried whether they should be priced higher because they were handknitted and the bored till-girl just yawned, "naw, six quid a jumper, hen" so I snapped them up and have appreciated them... I even think I recognise one as a specific New Lanark yarn!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 31st Oct 19, 5:07 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 38,847 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    OK - by devious means involving dropbox & Ravelry, here it is:

Angie

GC Nov 19 - £356.97/£450

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 31st Oct 19, 5:13 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    50p? Pure new wool? Hand knitted? Coo, you did do well!

And no coupons! Wow!!!!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 1st Nov 19, 2:14 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 38,847 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    The darn, tidied up - best I can do! There were too many colours involved in the hole for me to match it perfectly, but I'll be happy to wear it.

Angie

GC Nov 19 - £356.97/£450

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Nov 19, 4:08 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    The darn, tidied up - best I can do! There were too many colours involved in the hole for me to match it perfectly, but I'll be happy to wear it.

Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Well, I had to look closely to see it. I know my eyesight isn't the best, but I think that darn obviously does exactly what you hoped for: stabilises and replaces the lost fibres, and blends inconspicuously with the rest!

Nice work!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 1st Nov 19, 4:10 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Mr Nice was going to buy me fabric on his points to make myself a lovely everyday skirt, but we've just been to the really good fabric shop and couldn't find anything we liked...

So I'm going to go back to my fabric collection when we get home and see what I already have that I've forgotten about...

There is still Wotsit & Thingie's in Shrewsbury to check, and we're also going to TORM, the original re-enactors' market, in Coventry, so we may find fabric there but I would be pleased if his Xmas present to me ended up being a non-purchase! His present could be the encouragement and prodding to get it made by then
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Nov 19, 8:26 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    It’s a stunning cardigan, Thriftwizard. You’ve matched the colour beautifully with that darn and it looks knitted in. Well done!

The only suggestion I have to make is how about overlaying a couple of black, Swiss-darned stitches at the bottom? When you look at the big picture, the only thing that makes that “flower” stand out visually is that it encroaches on the black stripe below it. Seriously, you have done a brilliant job.

Good luck with the shopping, Laura.

Roll on the rugby today. I have half a sleeve to finish and Hand Knit Charm will be completed. Also am desperately trying to finish off a sock before tomorrow’s NFL match, not because I want to wear it, but because the pattern requires too much looking and I want to free up the needles to start a self-patterning sock to take to the game. At last week’s game, I kept missing plays because I had to look at what I was doing. I gave up knitting at half time, which is a first. < sigh > All that knitting time wasted...

Speaking of the NFL game at Wembley last week, I foolishly didn’t wear my thermal long-johns - didn’t think it would be cold enough - and spent the match getting colder and colder. Those long-johns are silk, 19 years old, and have seen a lot of wear. At some point they’ll wear out, so I’ve been looking for suitable replacements and succumbed to two packs of thermal (top plus long-johns) in Costco this week. I’ll need to work out the points - do I treat them as “combinations” (four coupons per pair)?

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 02-11-2019 at 8:29 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,713Users online

Martin's Twitter