Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    • 12,106Posts
    • 84,864Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 8:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Page 3
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 30th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    littlegreen that waitrose baby bottom is marvellous isn't it. I have a GC with very sensitive skin and seemed to have a permanently sore bum but waitrose baby bottom butter works like magic. We always have some in the cupboard now and it does do wonders for sore hands.
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 30th Dec 18, 6:49 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 5,544 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Hi can I join please .I would like to loose weight . Also I think it's about time e I made more of an effort with my appearance. I did have my haircut before Christmas and I got more fashionable glasses back in October.
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 30th Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    littlegreen that waitrose baby bottom is marvellous isn't it. I have a GC with very sensitive skin and seemed to have a permanently sore bum but waitrose baby bottom butter works like magic. We always have some in the cupboard now and it does do wonders for sore hands.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    I love it, hands/elbows/lips/sunburn/ face when it gets chapped in the cold. If I go out running in the winter I quite often slather some on as a barrier.
    Endless possibilities, and good for those of us with sensitive skin - there's not much in it to react to.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 30th Dec 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I love it, hands/elbows/lips/sunburn/ face when it gets chapped in the cold. If I go out running in the winter I quite often slather some on as a barrier.
    Endless possibilities, and good for those of us with sensitive skin - there's not much in it to react to.
    Originally posted by littlegreenparrot

Well let's face it "as smooth as a baby's bum" is a good thing so how can it go wrong?
    • scottish lassy
    • By scottish lassy 30th Dec 18, 7:56 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    scottish lassy
    B

With me think itís easier if I set myself small daily goals for fabbing or else Iíll get overwhelmed and just lie about. S
    Originally posted by lantanna
    That's a good idea. I think tomorrow I'll start increasing the water intake and clean out my makeup basket.

The reduction of sugar may have to wait a few days until I finish what is already in the house (very MSE!)
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Dec 18, 8:17 PM
    • 20,875 Posts
    • 123,767 Thanks
    maman
    I use the Body Shop Hemp hand cream. It's excellent and I love the earthy smell. I don't like sweet perfumes. That's why Clarins Eau Dynamisante (?) suits me.

Some great buys on Ebay sugarbaby . Your sisters will be pleased you've treated yourself to gifts that give you pleasure. I noticed a tankini in the list. Ready for the Jamaican holiday!

We've been out for the day to celebrate DGD's birthday. I wore my smart black jeans. They were clean on for the first time since 20th December and they've shrunk!

Seriously, I will be glad to get back to healthy eating. I've set Wednesday as the day getting back to normal. That gives me just over a month to be back to my usual weight. I haven't weighed as such but the jeans say it all.

It's great that you kept those normal size clothes money . As sizes vary so much, not just vanity but from brand to brand and styles. What matters is what you feel good in. Many of the women I know through SW are happy at an end weight where I started from IYSWIM. We're all different.

I wear glasses for distances so mainly driving, cinema, theatre, sightseeing. I fancied a change from the small metal frames I'd had for a while. I couldn't bring myself to spend too much on a new style I was unsure of so I bought a cheap pair from Specsavers. I loved them (tortoiseshell type frames) so last year felt confident to buy a very similar Orla Kiely pair. My absolute favourites though are my Raybans.
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 30th Dec 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 19,874 Thanks
    lantanna
    Fabbing goals for today completed. Skin feels great after the mask. Goals for tomorrow are to do a cleanse, tone and moisturise before work. Normally just run a wipe over my face before a bit of make up.

Also to drink 9oo ml of water in work and use my hand cream on my desk.

Small achievable goals!

Off to dry my hair and then start on vanity fair !
    2019, A year of saving, getting healthy again and turning 40
    £2793.67/£184 debt cleared in 2019 #5o
    GC Feb £170 / £169.43
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8,235 Posts
    • 83,700 Thanks
    greent
    Having an occasion (or in your case occasions) to get fabbed up for is great motivation greent and you seem to have heaps of ideas already. I'm with you on the eyebrows. Having mine tinted is a new thing for me and I love the effect. I don't know how you wear your hair but having mine done regularly is a worthwhile expense IMO. I have mine regularly cut (about every 8 weeks) and highlighted (about 2-3 times a year). I'd keep looking for a decent hairdresser.
    Originally posted by maman
    My hair is between shoulder and bra strap length, some layers to stop it being too heavy, with a fringe, just off-middle parting (to match my widow's peak!) This means I can go a little longer in between cuts, as long as I get a fringe trim in between. I have a little grey coming through, but not much (mid brown colour with a hint of red tones) so can't be bothered with any colour as yet (I like my natural colour) Am definitely going to aim for more regular appointments - I think the key will be booking one as I leave the salon. I have an idea of where I'm going to book an appointment for mid-late Jan - fingers crossed it's a good result

Ultimate target is for DD's graduation - far more important than the weddings

Like greent I also joined a couple of years back but soon got caught up with work, family etc. I did keep up some of the goals back then eg wearing perfume every day ..... every work day anyway. Like victoria61, I am also a School Business Manager but although around the same age, I have a few years until retirement.

On the subject of eyebrows, I just did my own this week for the first time. A bit of an accident really as I actually went out to buy eyelash dye and came home with eyebrow dye!! Should have worn my glasses! Anyway, I thought it would do the job anyway so put it on eyelashes AND brows and I am really pleased with the results, so will keep this one up.
    Originally posted by scottish lassy
    I'm happy to dye in between visits (and maintain some shape) - I just need to book some visits every so often as I can't maintain to their standard

I also still apply perfume virtually every day (I'd say I maybe miss 1 or 2 days a month) after starting this before -so something stuck, at least!

Greent - I know the feeling about haircuts, I am the same! I make sure my sons is done regularly but mine ends up looking like rats tails as my mum would say. I've recently found a good hairdresser and making sure that I book in advance and for days I know that I can do (i.e. when son is at nursery and I'm off work). With the biting of the skin I know someone else that used to do this, she would wear finger less gloves and bite at them instead.
    Originally posted by chocolatelover93
    Yep - my boys have their hair cut at the barbers every 6-10 weeks max! (depends how fluffy they look!) Not sure why I don't prioritise myself the same....

Have loads of smellies and pampering stuff to use up, too - made good headway on this in 2018 - need to continue it in 2019

Still musing over things - will start properly on 01/01 xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £4675/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £619.96/£500
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 31st Dec 18, 11:16 AM
    • 12,106 Posts
    • 84,864 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies........

So many new faces, so much enthusiasm, so many good ideas floating around. Keep 'em coming. Keep sharing so we can all learn from each other and we can all encourage and support one another.

And let's give it our all and let's make 2019 a cracker.

For the newbies.....

last year I set myself a challenge. I called it a Year to Change My Life........And I did, well I made a cracking good start. I went on the holiday of a lifetime to the Amazon, I did a course in Complimentary Therapies and I moved house. Phew.

And I still want more.......

Not quite sure what to call it this year....... A Year to Change My Life Part 2.??? Its not very imaginative ....lol. I need a more catchy title. Anyway you get the jist. I want to make some big changes and I want to really stretch myself and build a really fabulous solo life. No more widow stuff. I'm done with that.

Tonight I'm starting as I mean to go on. My toe nails are painted Chinese red in readiness. Red toe nails are always a good start for me. I love them, they make me smile every time I catch a glimpse. So decadent........ my little secret. What a 67 year old granny with scarlet toe nails.

Going to give myself a facial after my brunch - and then this evening it's glad rags on and time to party.

Happy New Year Everyone. )
    • Nisha B
    • By Nisha B 31st Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Nisha B
    Count me in ladies!

Have been steadily losing weight but last week or 2 I've fallen off the clean eating wagon and not stepped a foot in the gym! Looking forward to getting back on it and us all supporting each other
    • trivanks
    • By trivanks 31st Dec 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    trivanks
    Ready to start the New Year.
    Hey, I'm new here to join this community... happy to here ... also ready to start the New Year.. sound good

Trivanks Vinks
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 31st Dec 18, 11:39 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 14,122 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hi all,

I would love to join in this year if you will have me!

I need to lose quite a lot of weight this year, I will be able to provide en exact figure after I get weighed on the 3rd January 2019.

I'm so looking forward to some fabbing in 2019 with you all!

Dxxx
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £2,400.00
    Goal Weight by 2020 14lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 31st Dec 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Well after all the expense of Christmas, not to mention all the January birthdays, I've just discovered that my tenant can't pay her rent. It was due last Thursday but usually takes a few days to come through from the agent so I was expecting it today but instead got a phonecall. She has promised to pay when she gets paid. I wouldn't mind, I do understand how expensive Christmas is for a single mum, but I've always been fair with her and agreed to late payments a couple of times when she had problems and changed the rent day to suit her payday so I think she could have warned me. I'm not desperate for the cash but that isn't the point.

I suppose the positive thing is I was feeling bad about selling the house, if the housing market is OK here I was planning to put it on the market in early summer. Now I'm thinking well she isn't worried about me, she let her kids do some damage to the house earlier in the year and did nothing about it until the agent did an inspection so I was annoyed about that and this is the final straw. It is business so if the market says sell then sell I will.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 31st Dec 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    My cold has settled on my chest, I feel awful. Great start to 2019. I suppose it can only get better
    • maman
    • By maman 31st Dec 18, 12:38 PM
    • 20,875 Posts
    • 123,767 Thanks
    maman
    welcome to new people joining this morning. Great to have you along.

It's not compulsory to post New Year's Resolutions but it is a good time of the year to reflect and make changes. It's great to share ideas and tips too.

I'm taken with lantanna's idea of a day at a time so I shall go with a version of that. I'm determined that each day I will achieve something (hopefully more than one thing) on the fabbing front. I'd also add that I've achieved so much already since joining the thread years ago that I've developed lots of routines and habits that are now just normal for me. I'll keep those all going and add more. I'll list a few of the things that have become my new 'norm'. They may help give some ideas, others will add more of their own. Some aren't very mse (like my hairdresser) but others are through Groupon or just take a bit of time:
    • lose weight and keep it off by healthy eating and limiting treats
    • regular haircuts and highlights
    • shellac nails and pedicures/podiatrist
    • hand cream at least daily
    • check Groupon for facials and massages
    • daily vitamin pills
    • daily cleanse/tone/serum/moisturise
    • cream feet and rest of body/style hair after each shower
    • light make up when leaving house
    • limit clothes to those I really like wearing
    These are work in progress so I'll try to increase these:
    • drink more water
    • wear perfume more often
    • wear jewellery more often
    • increase exercise to daily even if it's just a short walk
    • replace screen time with something more worthwhile
    • keep decluttering
    I could probably add to these as I remember things but it's a start.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 31st Dec 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 14,122 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    humptydumptybits - That isn't ideal. Like you say if this was something she had spoken to you about it would have been better than just getting a call from the agency. If selling is the best thing for you and you can get a good price then I would go for it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dxxx
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £2,400.00
    Goal Weight by 2020 14lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 31st Dec 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    humptydumptybits - sorry to hear that I'm a single mum but I always make sure that the rent is paid before anything else! I would rather go hungry than miss a payment on rent!

I was good last night and went to bed before 12pm so I would get a decent sleep and not be like a mombie when I woke up! When I went to check in on my son before bed (have to go in and turn the night light off and tell him how much I love him) he was stirring and wanted a mummy cuddle so we had a cuddle before he went back to sleep.

No make up on today but did actually brush my hair this morning instead of shoving it up in a bun! So I'll take that as a win lol
    xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 31st Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Thanks dolly and chocolate, I do think it is odd as she said she had "important" things to pay, I would think rent is important! This is the third or fourth time she has had a problem in 3 years, as I said previously she let me know and I was happy to wait.

I really don't want the bother of being a landlord, I got into it because a relative was in a difficult position, a business gone bad resulted in bankruptcy and losing their house, they had young children and couldn't find anything reasonable to rent due to their credit record and big dogs so we stepped in and bought a house and their rent covered the mortgage, we didn't make a profit on it and it was an interest only mortgage to keep the cost down for them. The deal was that when they got back on their feet they would buy the house, we had let them choose the house so it was what they wanted. Well fast forward and they were in a position to buy but decided to buy a house half a mile away that was run down and they got it at a good price. I don't really blame them but it left us with a house and mortgage and the market wasn't great so we let it. In the meantime we had some pensions mature and got a lump sum so the house is paid off now and let at an economic rent so financially it is doing OK but it can be a hassle. I want to sell it and buy a small house or flat near my DD, my husband won't move, he is disabled and can't face it so the compromise is we will buy a small place and divide our time between the two houses and he won't have to sort out all his stuff. If I outlive him I will sell this house and move permanently to the small one, I don't know what will happen if I go first as he is disabled and couldn't really live alone. We ignore that but probably shouldn't.

I feel really down and like everything is going wrong, I know it is ridiculous as we have a good income and can sell the house and buy a second place near DD and are so much luckier than many. I think nearly 30 years as a carer has suddenly caught up with me, I feel like I just can't do it all anymore. To make matters worse I've promised to do some work on Thursday, I do some consultancy work since I retired and I normally enjoy it and a morning work will give me nearly £200 and to be honest having to get up, get sorted out for work and spend some time with other people will do me good. Just at the moment I am dreading it. I drive past M&S to get to the job so I've promised myself a stop at M&S and spend some of my Christmas gift vouchers. I'm thinking something nice to eat, if they have some I want to buy some Philip Kingsley hair stuff as I got some from Christmas and loved it and maybe a new top or something. I find doing deals with myself can motivate me. I suppose I should motivate myself to make lunch.

Actually having had a moan I now feel much better. Cheap therapy.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 31st Dec 18, 2:22 PM
    • 12,106 Posts
    • 84,864 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Humpty......sounds like you are running on empty. Getting rid of the BTL sounds right for you. The little bolt hole nearer to your familly sounds like a very good compromise.

Well I've just had a nice facial and have slapped on some heavy duty night cream, a bath in a steamy atmosphere in a bit will help it really soak in.

Some great tips there Maman. Screen time. I shall definitely be reducing that even more. I do sleep so much better as a result of less screen time, especially after 6 pm.

I've thought of a new title rather than a Year to Change My Life 2.

Its The Year of Saying Yes...,,,,but only to nice positivite things. no nasty stuff will be tolerated.

Going to sit and start writing up next years diary later. January is already starting to fill up nicely. Lots of nice treats and outings already booked in.
    • lindez
    • By lindez 31st Dec 18, 2:34 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    lindez
    Humpty hugs for you xxx
    MFWB#44
    MFTT5 #28
    save 12k in 2019 #71
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,360Posts Today

7,843Users online

Martin's Twitter