Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 27th Dec 18, 2:57 PM
    • 3,807Posts
    • 5,212Thanks
    Dobbibill
    3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2)
    • 27th Dec 18, 2:57 PM
    3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2) 27th Dec 18 at 2:57 PM
    Hi All,

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

As we go into 2019 we are moving forward with the 3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge and as such a shiny new thread here for part 2.

The old thread is here.

Your goal can be as much or as little as you want. Some aim for 3 months spending, others 3 months income or even push it further for 6 months worth.
    There is no timescale and you can do it at your own speed. Plod along or race through to your goal. It's your goal, your choice.

It's always good to review where you are with your goals every now and again so I completely understand if people want to prioritise other things ahead of this challenge. Just let me know and I'll release your number.

If you change your mind later, feel free to pop back and rejoin. You are always welcome and can have a shiny new number.

I will hold everyone's current numbers until the end of January. Once this comes, I will shuffle the numbers to fill the lower numbers first. If you want to keep your original number let me know, that will be fine too.

For now, keep on keeping on with those goals.

Dobbi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Page 12
    • DebtFreeMonkey
    • By DebtFreeMonkey 6th Aug 19, 9:44 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    DebtFreeMonkey
    Thanks, Dobbi! I'm modestly aiming for 1,500 by the end of the year. If so, I have 600 of it, already.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Aug 19, 10:16 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    weve sold our kayak which wont get use for a couple of years at least so have put more into the emergency savings. Please could you update post number 2 to 5,694.56. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Scrimps

Scrimps this is amazing - well done
    You have a smidge over 5% to go - you are almost there
    Keep on keeping on

Dobbi
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Aug 19, 10:19 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Thanks, Dobbi! I'm modestly aiming for 1,500 by the end of the year. If so, I have 600 of it, already.
    Originally posted by Alicia1804

40.00% towards your goal - brilliant news
    post #2 updated.

It looks like you are really focused on reaching your goal by the end of the year.

Keep on keeping on

Dobbi

• Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 7th Aug 19, 9:28 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Scrimps
    Another 25 added due to another marketplace sale.

We're really hoping to hit target on pay day...the car is making a funny noise so we'll see
    Thank you for keeping us focused and motivated.
    • MrsMouse
    • By MrsMouse 13th Aug 19, 11:54 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    MrsMouse
    Morning all, number #15 checking in with a monthly saving of 35 please. Thanks Dobbi
    MrsMouse

#47 - 2019 MFW (Target: 872.33/1000.00)
    #15 - 3/6 month Emergency Fund Challenge
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 20th Aug 19, 9:52 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    blue_mango
    Hi all, it looks like this thread is keeping us on track and we're doing well!!

My totals currently are 2800/3000. I might be able to hit my target this month but that depends whether I'll have any income from a lodger.

I can't wait to have the 3k so I can focus on other goals. I also feel very grateful for being in a position to save this money sooner than planned.
    • ponypal
    • By ponypal 24th Aug 19, 9:58 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    ponypal
    I had to dip into my emergency fund to pay some fees as we have had a mortgage approved! Currently on 802.20
    Debt Free since December 2017
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 4th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    blue_mango

Hit my first target, got the 3k for an emergency.

Will keep adding more to it when I have spare cash but it will no longer be my priority. Time to bust some debt!!
    • Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 5th Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Scrimps
    And we're back down to 4,050 due to a small car bill and a huge vets bill
    • Rosie75
    • By Rosie75 5th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Rosie75
    #14 here reporting a new payment, taking me to 2750. Thanks Dobbi!
    PAYDBX2018 #088: 7440 / 7440

3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: 3000 / 10,000
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 5th Sep 19, 7:37 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Post #2 all updated for you all.

Well done to everyone.

Huge congrats to blue_mango on hitting your goal

• MrsMouse
    • By MrsMouse 16th Sep 19, 1:17 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    MrsMouse
    Afternoon everyone, number #15 checking in with this month's addition of 35. Thanks Dobbi
    MrsMouse

• skye blue
    • By skye blue 20th Sep 19, 8:22 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    skye blue
    hi

No 2 creeping back in

Well im having building work done at home, starting soon and ive had to get all the cash together i had to get everything done so im down to ..... nil

But i want to start again as i don't like having nothing as an emergency back up so here i am - lets get started

i want the target to stay at 3,000 - so let the fun begin

enjoy your weekend folks
    • Rosie75
    • By Rosie75 1st Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Rosie75
    Good morning all,

#14 updating, now at 3,000

Thanks Dobbi!
    PAYDBX2018 #088: 7440 / 7440

3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: 3000 / 10,000
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 1st Oct 19, 6:04 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Well done Rosie75 - I've updated post #2 for you - you are sitting at a comfy 30%

Can you believe we are getting into autumn already... the 1st October has come around so quickly.

Time for cosy nights in or wrapped up for a walk through the trees and the leaves.

Keep on keeping on everyone
    We can do this!

Dobbi

• MrsMouse
    • By MrsMouse 28th Oct 19, 1:52 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    MrsMouse
    Hi Dobbi, can you please add 35.00 for me #15. Thank you.
    MrsMouse

• Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 28th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Hi Dobbi, can you please add 35.00 for me #15. Thank you.
    Originally posted by MrsMouse

Brilliant stuff MrsMouse - you are now sitting on 399.45 aka 2.50%.

If you do a tilly tidy, an extra 55p would give you a lovely round figure of 400

Keep on keeping on - you are doing amazing
    Dobbi

• MrsMouse
    • By MrsMouse 1st Nov 19, 4:33 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    MrsMouse
    Brilliant stuff MrsMouse - you are now sitting on 399.45 aka 2.50%.

If you do a tilly tidy, an extra 55p would give you a lovely round figure of 400

Keep on keeping on - you are doing amazing
    Dobbi
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    Tempting, but we're now in November
    MrsMouse

• blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 3rd Nov 19, 6:08 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    blue_mango
    Hello Dobbi, may I please increase my target and re-join the challenge?

I thought about my finances and decided that I need a bigger cushion for any future emergencies. Will be paying off my debt of approximately 7k at the same time, will try to overpay it a little bit each month (fixed payment is 215), it is only 3% apr so not too bad.

Current savings: 3,600/7,200.

Debt: 6,681...
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 4th Nov 19, 7:12 AM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Hello Dobbi, may I please increase my target and re-join the challenge?

I thought about my finances and decided that I need a bigger cushion for any future emergencies. Will be paying off my debt of approximately 7k at the same time, will try to overpay it a little bit each month (fixed payment is 215), it is only 3% apr so not too bad.

Current savings: 3,600/7,200.

Debt: 6,681...
    Originally posted by blue_mango

Hi blue_mango - of course you can
    Am I right in thinking you have added 600 and would like to change the target to 7200? I've updated it to this for now, which puts you on 50.00% to goal. Let me know if it's different and I'll amend.

I'm sure with your determination, you won't be long debt-busting and that will soon be gone.
    Keep at it - you are doing brilliantly.

Dobbi

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,220Posts Today

7,213Users online

Martin's Twitter