3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2)

Hi All,

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

As we go into 2019 we are moving forward with the 3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge and as such a shiny new thread here for part 2.

The old thread is here.

Your goal can be as much or as little as you want. Some aim for 3 months spending, others 3 months income or even push it further for 6 months worth.
There is no timescale and you can do it at your own speed. Plod along or race through to your goal. It's your goal, your choice. ;)

It's always good to review where you are with your goals every now and again so I completely understand if people want to prioritise other things ahead of this challenge. Just let me know and I'll release your number.

If you change your mind later, feel free to pop back and rejoin. You are always welcome and can have a shiny new number. :D

I will hold everyone's current numbers until the end of January. Once this comes, I will shuffle the numbers to fill the lower numbers first. If you want to keep your original number let me know, that will be fine too.

For now, keep on keeping on with those goals.

Dobbi
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
Just be better than you were yesterday.

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 July 2020 at 9:29AM
    All challenger names have been transferred to a spreadsheet here.
    Please let me know if you prefer the spreadsheet method. I will only update the spreadsheet rather than this post for 5 weeks to see what everyone prefers. Majority preference will win.

Challenger names will now be held on the spreadsheet as there were no objections to moving to that method of tracking.

Keep on keeping on
    Dobbi
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Hi Dobbi, thank you for taking up the reins.

Just popping in to re-post my 2019 goal for the list : £5000 target.
    Current balance...£0 :p
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Hi Dobbi
    I kind of fell off the face of the Earth with this thread because real life chucked me a real curve ball in the form of a separation and very expensive divorce.
    At the moment I have debt that I need to clear again, but I really do hope to get back on board and save £6000 sooner or later. Much later at the moment as I have nothing but debt to report at the moment.
  • Dobbibill
    Hi Dobbi, thank you for taking up the reins.

Just popping in to re-post my 2019 goal for the list : £5000 target.
    Current balance...£0 :p

Thanks x_raphael_xx - new 2019 goal, saved on the spreadsheet. Will post them all in post #2 when everyone has updated the shiny new thread.
    Hi Dobbi
    I kind of fell off the face of the Earth with this thread because real life chucked me a real curve ball in the form of a separation and very expensive divorce.
    At the moment I have debt that I need to clear again, but I really do hope to get back on board and save £6000 sooner or later. Much later at the moment as I have nothing but debt to report at the moment.

Hi crazy_cat_lady.

Real life has a habit of throwing in those cheeky curve balls and it really can put a wobble on your finances. :(I do hope things get better for you in 2019..

It sounds like you won't be able to join the challenge just at the moment. If I've misread/misunderstood your post, please correct me. (your future goal of £6k makes me wonder if I've misunderstood :( )

If this is the case, I can release your number for now and you can rejoin with a shiny new number when you reach your DFD.

All the best with debt busting.

Dobbi

• Yes, that's right Dobbi - I have debt to pay off again before I can start saving. I'll lurk on here and then join in again once I've paid it all off.
  • Hi Dobbi

Thanks for the offer to run this and best wishes to everyone especially a big thanks to helen for the previous updates

I was No 29 (skye blue) and would like to continue this year please

My total so far is £1,800 and I would like to get this up to £3,000 as I will be happy to achieve this along with the other challenges ive set myself

Thanks again
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Dobbi,

I don't mind what number I am as I literally joined in December...

Decided to start with a three month emergency fund goal of £3000... currently I have £320 saved.
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • Dobbibill
    skye_blue wrote: »
    Hi Dobbi

Thanks for the offer to run this and best wishes to everyone especially a big thanks to helen for the previous updates

I was No 29 (skye blue) and would like to continue this year please

My total so far is £1,800 and I would like to get this up to £3,000 as I will be happy to achieve this along with the other challenges ive set myself

Thanks again

Great stuff skye blue, spreadsheet updated and number retained. ;)

ponypal wrote: »
    Hi Dobbi,

I don't mind what number I am as I literally joined in December...

Decided to start with a three month emergency fund goal of £3000... currently I have £320 saved.

Lovely stuff ponypal - Figures updated. I'll see what lower numbers are left at the end of January and see if it's possible to shuffle you up the list somewhere. Until then you are still #114. :D

• Would love to join this please, currently at £1240.19 and would like to get to £10,500
  • Dobbibill
    Would love to join this please, currently at £1240.19 and would like to get to £10,500

Hi charliedavis - welcome to the challenge. You are member #10.

You are doing brilliantly already and well on your way. We're a friendly bunch and will be cheering you on from the side-lines.

Keep on keeping on.

Dobbi

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport