When does Christmas begin for you?

SandraX
SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
For me and my family, it's when we have all gone on xmas leave.

My children and husband all have at least 2 weeks off, I have to go in for a few hours between xmas and new year , so not really a 2 week break for me but carers hols are difficult to get and I knew that before I took on this job. Like I said in another thread, xmas is only a commercial exercise for us, eg drinks, excess eating and chance to get together is the real xmas but I guess that account for more than half the population in the uk.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This year for me its 3pm on the 23rd when i finish work until after the new year , can't wait !
  • SandraX
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    This year for me its 3pm on the 23rd when i finish work until after the new year , can't wait !

Lucky you :)

Our children's workplaces close down for Christmas eve both work in the city and both have got a bonuse hol this year

I think around Christmas as people are so busy, a good break is deserved all round.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My mum's birthday was the 21st of December, so Christmas never started untill after that. Even though she is no longer with us my tree doesn't go up untill after her birthday. Yes I do Christmas stuff before that (spent hours wrapping today, Sunday is Carol service at church, Christmas declutter inprogress) but christamas does not start in earnest untill after mums birthday.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We start enjoying Christmassy things as soon as the tree and decorations go up, sometime at the beginning of December. Now we have reached the age when we have more years behind us than ahead we like to enjoy it as much as possible. Main problem is too many mince pies consumed during December. We are doing our own consumer test this year. So far results are; third place supermarkets, second place local artisan bakers and winner home made.

When I was working however it was different. Christmas started when Christmas leave started. When I was at school/University it started when we broke up.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It begins when our local pub starts filling up with crowds of people who appear to crawl out of the woodwork for 3 weeks, all of them speaking (or usually shouting) at each other at the same time with nobody listening.

They stagger about, spilling drinks down your back, treading on your toes and sometimes vomit in the toilets.

:xmassign: (not)

Saw a great T-shirt last night:
    "a pub is for life, not just for Christmas".
    A pity most of the clientele were too drunk to read it. :)
  • SandraX
    Murphybear wrote: »
    We start enjoying Christmassy things as soon as the tree and decorations go up, sometime at the beginning of December. Now we have reached the age when we have more years behind us than ahead we like to enjoy it as much as possible. Main problem is too many mince pies consumed during December. We are doing our own consumer test this year. So far results are; third place supermarkets, second place local artisan bakers and winner home made.

When I was working however it was different. Christmas started when Christmas leave started. When I was at school/University it started when we broke up.

As I read your first sentence I assumed you do not work and poss retired and as I read on, you confirmed this :)

My parents, both are stpe parents though retired say their xmas does not start until all the of their childrend and grand hildren are on leave :)
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    I work in a school so I enjoy the Christmas run up, December goes in fast when you have the community lights switch on to organise, school fayre, school Christmas dinner, nativity practice and shows, then for the last two weeks the children are all wearing various Christmas jumpers and decorations and getting all excited so it is lovely to see.

Once school breaks up on the 21st, it's good to have a few days off, and have some spare time to do some Christmassy things with my daughter.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Me and OH work up until tea time christmas eve, and he is back at work on boxing day, with me back in on the 27th. Other than that, I get new years day off, and he doesn't

Our industry is year round, and in my workplace a lot have booked annual leave so there will be skeleton staff
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Christmas will begin when we start buying gifts in the sales for next christmas...if you see what I mean.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    25 December
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure