Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Jun 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,819Posts
    • 9,296Thanks
    MeandO
    MeandO's money-shuffle
    • 22nd Jun 18, 12:10 PM
    MeandO's money-shuffle 22nd Jun 18 at 12:10 PM
    Hello all,

I've snuck back over from the MFW board as I still don't really feel 'at home' over there, so I hope no-one minds me creeping back in over here.

I don't really have any debt other than my mortgage, however, I am a single mum to one, now working part time, so have to budget really hard to pay the bills, save money monthly for yearly expenses and emergency savings 'pots' and attempt to overpay the mortgage at the same time as making sure my DS and I have fun.

I'm forever shuffling little bits of money from one place to another (hence the title ) in order to meet my self-imposed savings or mortgage repayment targets. Sometimes this is from saving money on the grocery budget, selling on ebay/FB/gumtree or from doing surveys, but I try and remember that every penny makes a difference.

I've paid off a lot of debt over the years and had several debt-free diaries, and, if I don't plan things properly and let things slip, it would be very easy for me to get back into debt. I also treat my mortgage as a debt (which it obviously is) that I need to repay ASAP and save interest on, so am forever chipping away at it.

Here's a link to my last diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5742079

Feel free to shuffle along with me!
    M
    x
    Last edited by MeandO; 31-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Mortgage @ March 2019: £107K, now: £102,380
    Mortgage OP's 2019: £1881.76/£1800
    EF: £2550 ē H2S: £950
Page 2
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Another £2 Amazon voucher claimed from surveys this morning.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Everyone seems to be struggling and really tired today, i guess the poor sleeping from the heat is catching up with people, either that or itís just making them all grumpy.
    I was supposed to go swimming with DS tonight but just had absolutely no energy to do so. I was so tired that my legs and arms felt like lead and I felt quite ill. I feel bad for disappointing him, but I donít think I could have done it tonight. When did I get old?

No money spent today, although tomorrow will be a different story as I need to get some groceries in. I have a budget of £40, so need it to come in under that.
    I also need to withdraw some money from my gifts account for a birthday this weekend.

Iíve tidied and cleared out two Ďdrawers of doomí tonight after looking for something and being frustrated about the amount of Ďstuffí in there. Iíve recycled a load of paper and instructions for various things no longer needed and tidied up various bits of DSís into an order and made loads of room. I then got the decluttering bug and went through all of the cookery books and DSís books downstairs, sorting a few for the charity and some to pass on, putting a few of the more valuable ones aside to possibly sell.
    I then set to on a couple of kitchen cupboards and have sorted yet more stuff for the charity bag and eBay pile. I think iíll try and sort through a couple more drawers tomorrow evening too. I feel like thereís way too much stuff in this house for just DS and me presently.

Feeling a bit deflated tonight. I usually spend Thursday evenings with OH and was looking forward to tomorrow, but he was a bit non-comittal and dismissive about tomorrow evening earlier when I spoke to him. Guess Iíll tackle the rest of the house and clear a bit more stuff if iím here alone then. Tidy house, tidy mind and all that...
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. It can definitely help keeping a tight reign in finances in these times, as at least it gives you the feeling that there's something in your life you actually have control of.
    Hope you hit a streak of good luck soon, and house repairs don't turn out to be too costly!
    Originally posted by Moguline

Thank you Moguline. So sorry, I missed this post earlier, have just noticed it now! X
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Jul 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    The refund has hit the credit card account and I tried to pay off another £40 but, once again, have been hit by Sainsbury's new rules of not being able to make more than one online payment in 14 days.
    So, I've tranferred £600 from the ISA, phoned up Sainsburys and paid the credit card off. When the payment has cleared I will be closing the account.

This does mean my savings are depleted to £600 now, but I'll work on building those up again.
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 5th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Moguline
    That's great news on closing the credit card - hate when online options are restricted! Some companies don't help themselves!
    Current debt (01/11/2019): £18,941 32.3% paid
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    £25 I'd allocated from the business profit to pay for postage wasn't needed as I had £33 left on my business postage pre-payment card. That money has now gone to sub the groceries budget instead.

£18 spent in tesco on groceries this morning, although I will receive £2 of that back via shopmium. I didn't buy everything I needed there, just the bits I can't get elsewhere. I'll pick up the rest later today from a cheaper supermarket.

YNAB has all been updated, ten days to go until the child benefit hits the account, then the tax credits two days later. I should hopefully be able to top up the rest of the OP target then.

Happy Friday all
    x
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Credit card account closed... after 20 minutes waiting on the phone.

No back up option now, so I need to save, save, save!
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 13th Jul 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    I havenít found the will to post for a while, itís been a bit of a horrible week or so, but hopefully things are on the up.

The first quote for the house repairs came in at £6800. I wonít lie, I almost cried and spent days and nights worrying about it and trying to see if I could lend more money against the house. This really made me feel down as Iíd worked so hard to overpay the mortgage and it would be increasing by £6800.

I had a second quote today for £4320! Both were from well known companies with equally good reputations locally, for the same work. It angers me that one is so much more than the other and are obviously trying their luck. Adding that amount to the mortgage doesnít bother me quite so much, but my parents are insisting on paying for it. Iím protesting and really feel so guilty, but they are insistent. I will try and find a way of raising the money first beforehand, that way I can honestly tell them I have the money.

Things havenít been great between OH and I this past week. His inability to commit to anything or make a decision has caused some sadness and frustration and I have spent the past week questioning what I actually mean to him. Attempts to talk about things were closed down very quickly, but we did go out for a (free) meal yesterday and I think it did us good. I think we just need a bit of time away from everything, just the two of us, so we are looking at a cheap camping trip somewhere quiet next weekend.

My Mum has also been very poorly and was hospitalised. Thankfully sheís home now, but really concerning problems are still afoot and unfortunately always will be.

Iíve been keeping up with one survey account and have £8 in amazon credits so far since the last spend. Iíve also had a few Shopmium redemptions, so free shopping!

There is very little money left in the account until Monday. I need some grocery shopping but I do have a £20 Asda gift card which will pay for most of it. Other than that it needs to be a free weekend!

Happy weekend all x
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 10,780 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry you've had a tough week MeandO. Hope your mum is as comfortable as possible.

The quotes are so different! Is the work able to be covered by buildings insurance at all?
    paydbx2019 #93 £1211.29/£10,100 .
    EF £40. SPC 141

# savings# £17. Oven. £0 / £403
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks HSL2. As for the house, unfortunately not covered by insurance so will have to be paid for.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 18th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    £106.37 overpayment paid off the mortgage today to round up the odd numbers, leaving the mortgage now at £75,530.
    This means I've hit my target for the month with a little bit extra thrown at it for good measure.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 30th Jul 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Have been a bit slack updating recently, but am still here. 'Real life' has been quite testing and unsettled, but ploughing through...

DS and I spent a week with my family recently which was lovely. Am feeling really homesick now though and DS is with his Dad for a week and I'm missing him terribly. My ex is being very difficult to get along with at the moment too which is making matters a lot worse. Anyhow, to keep myself busy I shall be doing what I can around the house and hopefully getting a few jobs done that I have been putting off.

I've been paid and, apart from spends on diesel, not much else has been spent yet. I've transferred some to savings and may see if I can transfer a bit more later in the month. I'm trying to resist the urge I have to spend to make myself feel better as I know it will just make me feel worse long term.

No mortgage OP's yet, but the first should come out in a few days' time.

Hope everyone has a good week x
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 31st Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    £50 paid off the credit card today (new one - closed the sainbo's one and got a 20 months 0% spending card). That leaves around £55 on it which will be paid off in full before the end of the month. I'm so pleased I finally seem able to manage credit cards without getting myself into debt.

I had a wander round some shops yesterday and used a £15 gift card I had, but wil be returning the item today as it didn't fit in the house where I thought it would.
    I also picked up some wallpaper to complete the lounge and play room, spending £37.50 in a half price sale when it should have been £75. All came out of the spending allowance.

I woke up in my empty house feeling quite blue, and last night was one big continual fight against loneliness by keeping myself busy, but have since forced myself to adopt a positive mindset and am feeling quite good today. I listened to a podcast last night about positivity and financial stability so perhaps this has helped!

YNAB has all been updated, still haven't touched the grocery budget for the month and have plenty left in the fuel budget too.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 31st Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just been informed I'm sending some softener to test which
    will save me buying some for quite some time. More pennies saved!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 31st Jul 18, 12:55 PM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 45,889 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi
    Just stepping out from lurking to send you a bit of encouragement and support. I hate those days where you feel on your own and a bit down about it all. Sounds as though you did everything right though in terms of helping yourself through it.
    Much love xxx
    NST November #5 NSD = 6
    I am honestly trying my best
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 31st Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you crazy_cat_lady, the encouragement and support is much appreciated. So nice of you to de-lurk and pop by, thank you. xx
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Whoops - had a bit of a spendy day yesterday after saying I hadn't touched much money this month!

Everything was a good price and reduced in the sale etc, but it still all added up to around £90. It has all come out of the allocated spending budgets and has all been paid for (no credit car useage ) and one item is a gift, but that's it for the month now and I need to rein the spending in.

£12.50 was spent in Asda from the grocery budget. £3 of that was for a duvet cover for the spare room. I've been looking for a new one for ages and they were reduced to £3 for a double.

The mortgage payment has come out of the account including the regular scheduled overpayment, so I've overpaid £51.03 of my £150 target so far this month. When the CTC and CB is paid in I will be able to knock the other £100 off the mortgage although would like to reduce it further and get it down to under £75k this month if I can.

I received my free bottle of softener to test. It's a big bottle and should receive points for answering the associated survey afterwards too.

I've brought my breakfast and lunch to work and taken a YS buy out of the freezer for food tonight. No spends needed today!
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    Iíve had a fairly productive afternoon since leaving work... I sorted out all of DSís clothing drawers whilst he is away and bagged up everything thatís too small. There is now a black bag full for the charity shop and a fair few bundles for eBay. Iíve sorted all of the eBay stuff into sizes and bundles so itís ready to photograph and list.
    Thereís nothing of great value, but even if it makes an extra £20, thatís £20 off the mortgage.

Iíve put all the laundry away and tidied the airing cupboard. The spare room has had a quick tidy, apart from the piles of clothes to list, and the new duvet cover bought yesterday has been washed, dried and is ready to put on the bed (when I can find the bed under all the clothes!).

I left work earlier than planned as I have workmen turning up to do some initial work before starting the big planned works that have to be done to the walls. They said after 2.30pm and still havenít turned up even thought itís 5pm. Iím not starting anything like listing the eBay stuff as I know theyíll turn up just as I spread everything out to photograph , but hope they turn up soon as iím just waiting around and canít go out.

Iíve completed another survey and cashed points in for a £2 amazon voucher. Iím not far off another £2 one too.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,296 Thanks
    MeandO
    They didnít turn up. Had to chase them up via phone and text, but boss man was very apologetic and didnít realise they hadnít been so second chances tomorrow...

I went round OHs as he wanted to cook tonight, although I took a YS buy from the freezer for us to use up. We popped to Asda afterwards to pick up some ingredients for a spot of baking tomorrow - iíve found a recipe for a mojito cake which I want to try!

Theyíd reduced their fresh bread and rolls to 5p each so OH picked up some and I bagged a yellow sticker noodle meal for my lunch tomorrow for 44p, reduced from £3. There were also some gourmet burgers for 88p from £3, so they went in our basket too!

Iím back home now, about to have a shower, a caffeine-free cuppa and sit in bed and read for a bit. I deliberated about sanding down a chair I want to restore, but glad I didnít start it this late now despite being enthusiastic twenty minutes ago! It will wait for another day.

Night all x
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Aug 18, 4:25 AM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 10,780 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Great find, to get a double duvet cover for £3.

Hope the workmen show up promptly today. Well done on the mortgage overpayments. Not far to get below the £75k.
    paydbx2019 #93 £1211.29/£10,100 .
    EF £40. SPC 141

# savings# £17. Oven. £0 / £403
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,932Posts Today

9,346Users online

Martin's Twitter