Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,357Posts
    • 8,200Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 2
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jun 18, 8:20 AM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 151,297 Thanks
    mardatha
    Let's not do politics, it will spoil the thread. Let's all mind our own respective business and focus on food and the home.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jun 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 103,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    Fabulous thread which has the potential to be incredibly useful.

My concern surrounds fuel at the moment and I thank my stars that my home is small. My thoughts are turning from ways of preparing food in fuel cut offs/shortages to concern over affording the fuel in the first place.

I suspect we're all going to have to learn about being mindful over the energy just to avoid the noose of fuel debt.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 18, 8:34 AM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 188,227 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thinking about it overnight (awake with high and noisy wind blowing outside) pre-Brexit I shall be looking at the high quality equipment made in the EU, I'm thinking things like good quality walking gear, le creuset kitchenware etc and saving to buy anything needed before it happens as I rather think availability might be patchy afterwards and also that prices will hike beyond our reach. The type of thing I'm thinking of is pretty expensive already and definitely an investment but so well made that they last for years of heavy use rather than the one season before giving up that is usually normal with cheaper things.

A wonder bag (the polystyrene ball filled ones like hay boxes) will save you much fuel expenditure in cooking as the initial cook to bring the dish up to the point where it can go into the bag for the rest of the cook is only 20 minutes at a simmer or an actual old fashioned hay box itself which is basically an insulated box ( a cardboard one lined with several layers of newspaper is all it takes)filled with hay and a hole in the middle of the hay the size of your casserole/saucepan to nestle it in, and an old pillow case filled with more hay and folded to the size of the box placed on top of the pan then the lid closed over the top and your dish will cook itself, a few hours later all you do is take out the perfectly cooked food and pop it on the hob to make sure it is up to eating heat. They're so easy to make. A pressure cooker/slow cooker will also do the job but both need continuous fuel input while cooking is happening whereas the wonder bag doesn't except for the initial bringing to the boil and reheat after cooking is finished.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 14-06-2018 at 8:41 AM.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jun 18, 8:56 AM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 151,297 Thanks
    mardatha
    Worrying article in Zerohedge re the rising price of gas in Europe - I posted it on the Prepping thread.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jun 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I'm trying to look at growing and freezing/storing things so I have veggies all year - I've never grown anything before really so this is vey new! Looking for a OS book which will help. A lot of books I've found are not really what I'm after, any recconendations?

I'm only growing beans, tomatoes & potatoes so far ... would love to grow more!!
    Living the simple life
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jun 18, 9:44 AM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 103,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    Tink I'm a new grower too and have tried to pinpoint what I can grow when, but where and plan the harvest and succession planting. It's a challenge because the weather doesn't allow things to go to plan. That being said I work off the last frost date for a general idea. I input my postcode into garden focused website and that gives me all seed sowing dates in terms of what to sow, and when. It's helped but I have had to learn on my feet pretty quickly. Instinct is what a grower needs but we can't have instinct until we've failed a bit I reckon.

Lyn I've been toying with the idea of getting my meat delivered from an online butcher this month. I've done it in the past and had them delivered in a polystyrene box. That box made a cracking 'hay' box. That was 4 houses ago now and long gone. I would use the box in the greenhouse to protect tender plantings from frost next spring too. I think I have decided

I'll go read it now Mar. great.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 18, 10:27 AM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 188,227 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The article on gas supplies gives much food for thought doesn't it? Not having a crystal ball it's impossible to do more than take a guess at what may happen in the next few years but I suspect not much of it will be good for Joe Public i.e us! The only sensible things I can think of are to take steps to make things more comfortable and lives slightly less stark by making sure we have warm clothing and warm bedding for the colder days if we can't heat homes for any reason. To think back in history to things that were done to be comfortable before the industrial revolution and research things like 'box beds' and shutters on outside windows as well as curtains inside. Sheepskins on chairs and in pushchairs/cots/kiddies beds make very warm sleeping/sitting. On the home front find recipes that use seasonal local ingredients and make things that cost you one big lot of cooking fuel but then stretch over a few days with reheats using only a little fuel. It's like the vicars mutton which was roast on Sunday, cold on Monday, hashed on Tuesday, Shepherds pie on Wednesday, Broth on Thursday and with fish on Friday, Mutton bone broth on Saturday. Big outlay for the leg of lamb but that's it for the week (or whatever you buy meat wise, it could all be done with brisket too). Grandma and her Grandma must have had so many ways of making ends meet and keeping body and soul together I think that life might actually contain a lot of Back to the Future things in it if we can find out what they were.

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 14th Jun 18, 10:38 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Fuddle I like your idea, I get injections delivered in a beautiful insulated box. It always seems a shame to trash it (takes time to recycle the different components too). I'll try making a hay box with the next. Would be interested in how your plants get on.

Lyn your babies (Alexander's ) now in a big pot, have produced 2 lovely 'structural' plants topped by large flowers. It has taken a few years for them to flower. I've not tried eating them yet. Now I can recognize them I see them all over the place, looks like a good year - possibly in advance of a bad winter.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 14th Jun 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys

It!!!8217;s lovely that so many people are interested in my thread. I would like to keep it less political and more practical.
    We had a few years living in a static caravan before OH retired and found that in winter the cold came up through the mattress so we put a duvet underneath the sheet which made a lovely snuggly bed.
    I also found crocheted blankets warmer than knitted squares ( however I have made a smaller throw where I doubled up the yarn and that!!!8217;s good too)
    Our tiny flat isn!!!8217;t bad at holding in the heat in winter. We bought it at auction and buyer beware the underfloor heating doesn!!!8217;t work anymore but one (moveable ) electric radiator will keep us toasty (which is a lot cheaper than the old fashioned underfloor heating would have ) We are only electric in our block. Our bedroom has a door which only gets closed when we have guests staying because it gets too hot but if it gets really cold will nicely keep us warmer if needed.
    We aren!!!8217;t too bad for blankets and throws so I may start on one each for my boys as part of their Xmas present. The youngest is just waiting to complete on his first bought home and they both already have one each I made years ago from their student days when beer was important than heat. Also I can!!!8217;t eat and crochet so that helps with the dieting.

The polystyrene cooking box sounds a brill idea but we are so short of space I may have to make do with my slow cooker for now.

Anyway time to get on
    Bye for now
    Cuddles
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jun 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 103,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    Interestingly I find that I use far more yarn when crocheting than I do when I knit. To my mind there's more involved in a crochet stitch than a knitted stitch (knit and purl at least) and maybe why there's a warmer feel.
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Jun 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    C J
    This might sound a bit daft, but I have stocked up on olive oil in anticipation of a price rise. I use it a lot. Aldi currently have their large bottles (750ml I think) of extra virgin olive oil (which is lovely) on offer at just over £2 so I've bought a few. Unopened and kept in a dark cool cupboard it should last a couple of years I think.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 18, 3:06 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 188,227 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    What would be really useful would be a list of things to have to hand for repairs of what you've already got.

puncture kit not just for bike tyres but for wheelbarrow tyres, leaky wellington boots, rubberised air beds, etc.

Can of WD40

Sewing kit Wilkinsons do a pack of assorted use needles for around a pound including a bodkin, a curved upholstery needle and different sized and different eyed all purpose needles, I think there's even a darning needle in it. AND a sewing and mending guide book so if you don't already have the technique you can learn it. Threads including some strong ones for repairing outdoor clothing. Beeswax block to coat them and make them stronger.

a gardening book for fruit and veg if you grow your own or intend to try.

That's a start we could add to.

Things like hot water bottles, bed socks, thermos flasks, tea cosies, warm throws on sofas etc. would also make life more comfortable in a cold house.

• cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 14th Jun 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi C J
    I don!!!8217;t think that!!!8217;s daft at all. Foods that last well will save money as prices do tend to go up anyway.
    Perhaps we could make a list of things that could be affected by Brexit and are worth starting to collect?
    When I look on the MrT website you can check where things come so that may be a start.
    Cuddles
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jun 18, 3:18 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,255 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    MITSTM, after the Brexit referendum you posted that people needed to accept the majority decision of the referendum. Surely this should also be the case regarding referenda about Welsh devolution.
    Originally posted by stoozie1
    That's not how things went the first time round (ie first referendum about Welsh devolution). It only just went that way the second time round (repeat referendum) - much "pushing" later - and just who has a second referendum because they don't like the result of the first one??? !!!
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-06-2018 at 3:24 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 18, 3:23 PM
    • 13,868 Posts
    • 188,227 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I hope it's not tea that's affected, I could cope with limited quantities of everything else but tea I need in buckets full and regularly.

• cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 14th Jun 18, 5:11 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    I agree Mrs L
    I can live without a lot of things but a decent cup of tea is not one of them. I always have a decent stock of teabags.
    Also milk, no matter how expensive that went I would have to have some.

Cuddles
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Jun 18, 5:29 PM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 151,297 Thanks
    mardatha
    Same here re tea and milk!
    A hot water bottle is worth it's weight in gold when you're freezing or poorly.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 15th Jun 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Thanks Fuddle - I'm still learning. Think I'm going to look at seasonal growing and maybe get a calendar printed that will help me!

Going to plant some potatoes today - they are a bit late but I'm sure they will be fine xx
    Living the simple life
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 15th Jun 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Not much achieved today. I!!!8217;ve started a list of things I want to stock up on on a separate page on my iPad but can only afford a couple of bits a week as well as my normal shop.
    On the up side I shouldn!!!8217;t need to shop at all until next week now. I!!!8217;m gradually adding (and removing ) bits from my online shop. We are eating a lot of cold meals and salad which saves electric and keeps the temperature down at the moment.
    Menu plans never seem to work for me so I tend to do a list of meals from what we have and work through that rather than fitting particular meals to particular days. This also works well so that I buy what we like that!!!8217;s on offer and feed us from that.
    Anyway better go now
    Cuddles
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 17th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I'm meal planning and making a list too CM

I'm going to stock up on tins for food we eat regularly. Mostly for a price hike and to have enough is for a winter store cupboard too.

I do think the price of food will rise (as it has been) and I'm aware of the packaging getting smaller and less too.

I'm trying to grow a bit of my own but we will see how I get on. Hopefully going to get bit of a veg patch in the garden in a couple of months so I have a bit more space to grow more.

My list so far is just food. Maybe at the end of the season I'll look out for some seeds for next year and gardening bargains but one step at a time.

Mushy peas
    Beans
    Tinned tomatoes
    Sweetcorn
    Kidney beans
    Butter beans
    Chickpeas
    Tinned soup
    Rice pudding
    Custard
    UHT milk

I don't buy things we won't eat as I see it as a total waste of money, but having things we eat and use regularly gives me a bit peace of mind incase of hard times like sickness or redundancy. It's always good to have a bit put by.

Tink
    Living the simple life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,284Posts Today

8,861Users online

Martin's Twitter