Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 915Posts
    • 3,060Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. 4th Dec 17 at 9:37 AM
    So, I can't believe that I haven't updated my diary since the end of march. So much has happened in that time I feel a fresh new one is better. Here is the link to my previous one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585379

So what has happened. Well my husband FINALLY got a job! He was made redundant in April 2016 and started a new role in June 2017. In that time I was holding down two part time jobs so that we could pay the mortgage and bills and in that time I also made a bit of a dent in the debt we owed. The role he got was originally a six month contract through an agency so we were obviously concerned for the future, but within a month he was invited to apply for a full time position and got it. So since the end of September he has been back in a permanent role, and we have no concern that he won't pass his probationary period which is up just after Xmas. The job is also with a very good company, and he gets a discount card for two shops so that is great too. The only downside is that he has to take two trains to get there which is about £300 a month and he is only on what he was on in his previous job, but due to our finances being in much better shape now it is doable.

I started YNAB in Oct 16 and have used it very carefully for the past year. I adore it and plan to keep it forever

So what has been happening to the debt. Last time I was here I had cleared our big loan due to wanting to avoid having too much in savings because of a massive mistake by the job centre with my husband's JSA claim. He signed off the week after the interview we had with them and I was planning to xfer the child benefit to his name for his NI to be paid but then he landed the job. We have heard nothing from them at all. I still think they may try to claw back the money that we received that we shouldn't have and of course if that happens we will dispute it as we didn't lie or omit anything, it was a massive error in their part, but we will pay money back if we have to. But nothing, not a word at all

I had managed to get the debt down from 22k to 17k with aggressive debt payments but in may I received a decent sized inheritance from a family member. Enough to buy a new (to us) car (mine finally died in early September at 17yrs old) clear 10k of debt and do some of the much needed home improvements. The reason I didn't clear all the debts was that we would have been left with nothing at all for the home improvements (and I was bored of having half a kitchen and no bath) and our back fence fell down in July so we have had a lovely new back fence out up, and am getting the back garden landscaped, had a new bathroom put in, finished the kitchen (apart from tiling, need to save for this) plastered the rest of the house, and had some new carpets out in. The relative that left the money was huge on owning your own property and I felt I needed to use some of the money to add value to the house. There is still stuff to do and I am saving for that now.

So our debt stands at about 8k total. One loan and one interest free credit card. My go going forward is to not add to that and clear the credit card within the time limit.

This coming year we are planning two big holidays so everything spare is going towards that, I need £3500 by the end of march, I have £1000 towards that already but debt busting will be taking a bit of a backseat while I get all this money together.

Personally, I have quit one of my jobs. Once we knew my husband was employed full time by the company we looked at the finances and due to some quite serious issues our smallest child is having ongoing at school, we decided it was important that I was home more in the evening. Also the company that took us over a year ago are a shocking company to work for so the decision was an easy one to make and I quit my evening job. I miss it so much, it was a job I adored and I loved most of the people I worked with. But it was right for us as a family. So now I am self employed school hours, mon-fri, which is hard work. I get no time to myself and feel I am constantly playing catch up at home, but it needed to be done. The smallest boy did improve quite a bit after I finished work, but this past week has had a huge backslide again

Anyway enough about me now, I am off to catch up on the diaries I used to follow to see what everyone has been up to. So pleased to be back
Page 14
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 23rd Sep 19, 8:17 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Didn't open my leadership stuff, but did move it closer to the table I do call and book the secondary schools open morning, and began filling in the DLA form for the smallest as his claim ends in January. Need to get the senco to fill in part of it too. Its such a depressing form, it's so hard to do.

Friday was hard and did an extra job too. Am on track to earn enough to pay off the work we have booked, but will need to find a bit extra for the boiler repair that is happening. Possibility of another extra job next week, but would have to be Saturday morning whihh I try and avoid tbh.

Did a big shop this weekend, forgot to use the bloody gift card though will have to use it next time.

This week is nice and normal, the next two weeks are crazy busy. M trying to keep the weekends as clear as possible but I have two training days with Guides and a theatre trip with the youngest. I also start my college course next week it seemed a good idea back in july

This last weekend I went to see a play with the girl. It is one of her gcse texts. It was good, not one I would have chosen to see, the theatre was full of parents with teens came in on budget which was great. Have £30 set aside to see Jamie next week, and have se£10 from the food shop this weekend as well, so should be covered for trains and food.

Anyway am going to relax now, first chance all day
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 25th Sep 19, 8:46 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Husbands pay went in, slight increase, but won't cover the amount I think the tax credits will go down by anyway, the extra went towards money I will need to cover half term, feels nice to be ahead of myself have an extra job at the weekend, I still need to cover the boiler repair, otherwise would have possibly turned it down.

Today was a half day, I had so much I should have been doing, but went and had coffee with a friend, much needed tbh. Think I am going to go to the college tomorrow after the afternoon school run and try and sort out the parking permit for next week. Its hanging over me so want to sort it really.

I will be finishing the Dla form at the weekend so the senco can do her thing next week and get it posted.

Updated te tax credits with husbands payrise. His tax code is probably still wrong, and he still hasn't sorted it, sometimes he drives me mad Anyway that will get updated in the coming weeks. I hope we still get Dla, or we will lose that and lose half the tax credits which will really have a knock on affect. I hate being so dependent on these benefits. There are areas we could cut, and we have weathered worse but still, it feels like we are punished for getting a payrise

Anyway, enough feeling sorry for myself. Need to sort out something for my sisters birthday next week. No idea what to get her.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 26th Sep 19, 9:17 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Huge case of the can't be bothered today. Blegh

Had some cahhback come into the account so should be able to buy some Mousetraps to catch the mice that have invaded the kitchen. Have never had them before so a bit annoyed to be honest. No idea where they are coming in either. Think there might be a nest of them under one of the kitchen cupboards and because two of the units don't have backs on (ikea units and the lack of pipe allowance is annoying) they can get around easily. So traps and being release miles away is the first option.

Anyway, I really need to start work.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 1st Oct 19, 9:57 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well the case of can't be bothereds has carried on. Did three extra jobs at the weekend in the end, but two will be added onto next month's invoice, which will be a decent pay.

Popped to town sat afternoon o the library. Then basically read the whole weekend won't get much chance over the next few days. Tomorrow is going to be manic, normal jobs 9-2, then an extra long one, so daughter will do school run, mum is having to come to take the smallest swimming, I will get in around 4.45, shower, try and eat something, then off to college for 5.20 to pick up pass and parking permit and start my course be home around 8.45pm,hopefully can sit and relax for an hour before bed Thursday I have a new client, another private one, I will be doing it on a Wednesday going forward, but wen they asked me to start tomorrow, ha to refuse, not a chance of fitting it in

Next week hubby is off work, so at least he can do the afternoon school run which takes a bit of time pressure off me. I wish I could have a week off in term time so I can sit around doing nothing. He refused to take two weeks in August which annoyed me, at least I won't be around in the day so he won't be under my feet.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 2nd Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Just been asked about doing another private job! Not sure I can fit t in, but with the other one I have just taken on its an extra £130 a month.....

Also car has started to make an odd noise on occasions when starting. May need a new starter motor. Ffs. Wil keep an eye on it, but will lose a day's pay getting it sorted if it is. Have £250 in car main, but will need two tires before Xmas....
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 2nd Oct 19, 9:23 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well today has been awful. Already trying to fit too much in anyway. Ten halfway through my first job, school rings. Had to go and pick up the smallest and he has been excluded until Friday due to a violent incident. I am so so angry with him, he has done so well but since going back in September there has been a huge backward slide with his behaviour. He had to come to the rest of my jobs with me and do his work. He was somewhat bored. My sister will have him for an hour tomorrow morning so I can complete the job I had to leave, and then he can come with me and do some school work. And then I have to squeeze in a meeting with the head on Friday morning. Am just so worn down with it all tbh.

But first evening class has been done. Enjoyed it and found it pretty easy. Which is a bonus.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I ended up cancelling a job yesterday, I just couldn't fit it all in. Which made it a bit more relaxed. The smallest was as good as gold, always is out of school.

Went to a local sixth form open evening with the girl. She has finally decided on her three subjects and future career path, which is a relief, and he really liked this college and think it will probably be the one. We are off to see the other local one, but don't think the subjects will be quite right (it's a bit more of a vocational/apprenticeship college) and will revisit the one further away again, but she just really liked the local one and it will be easier all round.

Tonight am off to London to see her favourite show again. Last time I am paying for it though! Am looking forward to the night out.

Garden stuff all done, looks so much better, have plans for the rest of it, will be next year now.

Bank accounts looking awful, don't want to take money out of the interest bearing savings account, so am doing a bit of juggling. Once I am paid I am clearing the small cc balance and sofa finance.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 8th Oct 19, 10:05 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    OK, small cc balance is 0%,sofa is 0%. And most of my money is in the higher interest account and don't want to move it to the current account. So when I get paid on 15th I am putting my buffer back in place and topping up the emergency fund. Cc and sofa will be cleared in Nov.

This month has been brutal for spending. I may have to add an 'October' category to ynab as last oct was awful too. I think I get restless over the summer and plan work on the house

Also the bloody car has some sort of ability to know when I have money saved in car main. Wierd noise on starting got worse, so took a day of today and took it in. New starter motor and battery. Had most of it aside, and rest will be paid back at the end of the month. But all done so at least I won't end up standed somewhere (which has happened in the past with a different car!) and the tyres should last until Xmas and give me time to rebuild the fund.

And I enjoyed today, walked to town, spend an hour reading in the library, got a coffee at a favourite shop and did some work for my course, randomly met a friend which was lovely. Then bought some clothes, picked up a parcel efore getting the bus home.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Right, I have been wallowing long enough. Really need to pick myself up. The smallest is just sliding backwards with his behaviour and its getting me so down. I have looked again at the possibility of stopping work and homeschooling, but the figures just don't add up. Add in the fact that my sister is giving up work so I won't get paid for having her kids after school from January, it would mean the other kids would have to give up everything, and it's not fair on them.

I might contact the other person who I could take on as a private client and see if they still want someone. Could do it after Xmas if they are happy to wait, it would almost make up the money I will lose from my sister which would help. Will have a think, I can't really do it before Xmas without having to pay my daughter for having her cousins, but that might work I suppose.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 11th Oct 19, 6:21 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 20,118 Thanks
    savingholmes
    It is hard when life throw's repeated curve balls. It sounds like you are coping well though despite it getting you down sometimes... Keep plugging away. Good that you have savings. We didn't trust ourselves to leave savings alone - so agreed with DH we would just pay money off our debt as and when we could rather than waiting. We just keep a small buffer of around £1K
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 £38840 @ 13/7/19 £25,897@0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe £145551 @13/7/19 £145,078 @1.7%
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 12th Oct 19, 1:17 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Lol, they are in a savings account but aren't really savings. I am normally buffered a month on bills and have sinking funds for Xmas, car main etc, but atm they are all empty, current account is under £10, but don't want to move money from the savings account as it gets 5% interest! I caved and moved £200 and desperately waiting for payday on Tuesday to replace it and have a slightly more healthy CA with a months buffer in it.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 12th Oct 19, 4:39 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Not a lot done today. Tomorrow I am out of the house all day on a first aid training,and with the awful weather I have totally relaxed today. I have a list of stuff to do and nothing has been done anyway, I am holding out for Tuesday when cb, Dla and my wages come in. Then I can repay the regular savings, clear the cc and the bank balance will look so much better. Plus the bill buffer will be back on place which will make me feel better tbh.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    First aid course was actually fun. Run by a paramedic so lots of stories from the front line I actually got my leadership book out an have now scared myself with the amount of work I need to do ASAP

Also did some more work for my course, although when I looked at the lesson plans after I don't think we are doing that chapter, which may be why I struggled a bit with it ah well, will put me ahead for the second course if I do it.

I cave and bought some more theatre tickets. Got 9to5 tickets for less than half price through a deal run on a website. Our FB group gets a discount on top. Got it for my daughters birthday next march, so will pay it off with the birthday fund. She has been keen to see it again after we saw it in the summer.

Tomorrow sees the child benefit, Dla and hopefully my wages hit the accout. So excited will replace the money borrowed from the High interest accout, replace my buffer and pay ff the cc. Can't wait to have a decent balance again.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 15th Oct 19, 9:45 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So Dla and child benefit came in. No wages though. So paid into the regular saver, will have to wait to clear the cc. Basically I have been using the cc in ynab correctly, moving the money from categories to payment once spent. This is because the current account is basically empty and I don't want to move the money from the regular saver which has £2250 in it lol! I love how in ynab doesn't care about bank accounts it's all about the categories. Anyway I can clear it once I am paid which should be in the next few days.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 17th Oct 19, 10:34 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Still no wages, am goigg to haee to message tomorrow, I need them by the 23rd at the latest! Beginning to get a bit annoyed tbh, she takes a cut so therefore I feel she should be buffered and I shouldn't have to wait.

Anyway been pondering dropping some days. Wondering if I could see about claiming carers allowance. I really think as the small two get into secondary I am going to need to be around a bit more as I feel I will be having school ngs much more often. I looked at the calculations and it would increase the tax credits a bit, and I can still earn £120 a week, so would still work two days. Have had to reapply for Dla for the smallest so may see how that goes and think about it in the new year.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 19th Oct 19, 8:01 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Finally been paid which meant I could send a chunk to the cc and it will be cleared before interest added. Its been interesting using it in ynab as it should be. But I don't really like doing it. May Hve to do it a bit this month. The savings account is a regular saver with £2250 in it, once it matures in January it should have 3k in, and most will go back into the current account as I get interest on that.

Paid a small amount off the loan, less than £5,but took it less than 6k, so the figures look good and gives me a boost ef back upto £225, with £75 due from next month's wages, and £150 in a house fund, still some bits left to do.

Online shop ordered for Monday morning, and this time I managed to organise part paying with the gift card hubby won at work which has helped. Food bills are still a bit too high, meals all planned for coming fortnight, and need a lIdl shop to get Lunchbox things.

Although I am losing £80 fr Jan when I wil no longer have my neices, I am going to tell my boss I will be dropping Wednesdays completely. I have one job that's only an hour and I will keep that as I can swap days, but my other two jobs will be going. I still have two private jobs every other Wednesday and may search for another one, but not getting paid on time has really annoyed me and I feel I am working so hard for her and while I don't want to drop working for her, I want a bit more flexibility with how I am paid. Doing my course has been eye opening too, am being very careful to keep all my hours recorded somewhere.

Today I had a guide training day. Thoroughly enjoyed it, saw a few faces from when I was a guide/young leader, some women do it forever, have a bafeelong I may end up filling my time with it once the kids are older but lots of ideas were given and I feel muh more able to take up a more active role in our group. Just need to get my sister to let me do more, she is a self admitted control freak

Tomorrow am off to the theatre with the smallest to see Tom Gates, he is quite excited, and won't neeto leave until after lunch, so hopefully just train fare (£11.50) and a t shirt for him.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 21st Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Had a fun time watching Tom Gates yesterday, the smallest really enjoyed it. Parking, Train, T shirt and burger King tea.

Nothing else planned going forward until after Xmas.

Food shopping came today, had a client cancel tomorrow so going to go to lIdl and @sda to finish up what's needed for the meal plan and lunchboxes. Want to pop to town too, want to go to the library, and the girl wants some hair products.

Tired tonight too, not been sleeping well at all, waking in the night and not being able to drift back off. My diet has gone to pot too, definitely put weight back on. I need a huge kick up the backside I think.

Anyway roll on half term, I am taking two days off, can't wait.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 23rd Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well yesterday was more eventful than I initially planned! Shopping all done, went to my last clients, all OK, then I managed to somehow trip over my own feet, landed heavily on my arm and dislocated my shoulder have never felt pain like it, had to have an ambulance as I physically couldn't get off the floor until I was given gas and air.

No work for two weeks, and due to the nature of my job it may be longer. So alongside feeling like a complete idiot, money is going to be stupidly tight next month. Luckily basics all covered, will save two weeks petrol money and won't have to pay the teens over half term. But still, not being able to drive is a complete pain in this household as no one else can! My mum and dad will help with essential trips, but going to cost getting hubby to the train station and back.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 10,859 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry to read about your shoulder. Sounds incredibly painful. Hope the pain is easing/under control.
    paydbx2019 #93 £1211.29/£10,100 .
    EF £40. SPC 141

# savings# £17. Oven. £0 / £403
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 23rd Oct 19, 10:46 AM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 28,727 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Ouch! Hope you feel better soon xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £4266.00 Lloyds: £8300.00 OD £2000 MBNA: GONE
    Nov LTW 9/19 ~ NSD 6/15 ~ AFD 3/15
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD £4758.88/£5604.30
    Savings for Christmas £835.45/£500 ~ EF 200/£500
    20p Savers 2020 £2 Savers 2020 50p Savers 2020 SPC 13 2020 #003
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,767Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter