Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• I adore love actually. Elf is one of dd’s favourites
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 1 December 2018 at 12:09PM
    I hear you on the Christmas films - I have It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas and A Christmas Carol (the old 1940s version) at the ready.........:)

There's a Freeview channel that's been showing Christmas films for weeks already:eek:. Needless to say I haven't bothered with it. Far too early.

Seasidegal, I've just noticed the mention of your diary in your signature. Will have a look for it when I have a bit of time later:j. Love the idea of continuing to be frugal even when debt free, that's how I came to be a regular on HH's diary. I'm hoping to be debt free myself before too long but my last couple of creditors aren't playing nice:(. I've managed to squirrel enough away to pay off the last of my debt by the end of this year but unless they offer a reduced settlement figure I'll just leave them slowly decreasing from the regular monthly payments. They've had more than enough from me in exorbitant interest and so on over the years:mad:, I don't feel at all guilty about trying to shave a bit off what's still remaining. It's a bit disappointing as I was hell-bent on being able to start 2019 owing nothing to anybody but best laid plans and all that, eh:(?

Edit: Found it!:j. From the first post it looks like a really interesting read:T. We seem to have a lot in common especially your mention of keeping your debt situation secret from everyone. It's hard isn't it?. There are already 111 pages to catch up on:eek: so I may be some time but I'll definitely read it all. Your reference to your debt-free journey looks equally interesting so I'll read that too if it's still available. I can see I've got my work cut out this weekend ;)
  • I love Elf too. Have a safe journey and I hope a nice time away.
    Imagine if you have to ask them to turn the hearing down!!

x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DH and DS1 want to start watching Christmas films when I get back. We'll start with the awful ones on Netflix and finish up with the better ones nearer Christmas :). There's loads I haven't seen, like Polar Express and Bad Sants. Elf is my all time favourite :).

'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' (with Chevy Chase) is my absolute favourite, but there's a lot I haven't seen - like 'Elf' or 'The Grinch'. And of course the films are a free pleasure !!

Enjoy your weekend - it's very mild here, we haven't got the heating on today, yet I'm wearing a (Xmas) t-shirt. Second lot of washing on, and I'm making a white Xmas cake this pm to take to friends next Saturday. Ah, the things I can do with enough Tramadol !!!
  • A mini break. How lovely. I hope you enjoy it HH :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Seasidegal, I've just noticed the mention of your diary in your signature. Will have a look for it when I have a bit of time later:j. Love the idea of continuing to be frugal even when debt free, that's how I came to be a regular on HH's diary. I'm hoping to be debt free myself before too long but my last couple of creditors aren't playing nice:(. I've managed to squirrel enough away to pay off the last of my debt by the end of this year but unless they offer a reduced settlement figure I'll just leave them slowly decreasing from the regular monthly payments. They've had more than enough from me in exorbitant interest and so on over the years:mad:, I don't feel at all guilty about trying to shave a bit off what's still remaining. It's a bit disappointing as I was hell-bent on being able to start 2019 owing nothing to anybody but best laid plans and all that, eh:(?

Edit: Found it!:j. From the first post it looks like a really interesting read:T. We seem to have a lot in common especially your mention of keeping your debt situation secret from everyone. It's hard isn't it?. There are already 111 pages to catch up on:eek: so I may be some time but I'll definitely read it all. Your reference to your debt-free journey looks equally interesting so I'll read that too if it's still available. I can see I've got my work cut out this weekend ;)

Thank you carboot for your kind comments. I do feel somewhat shamefaced sometimes as I'm not nearly as scrimpy or frugal as many posters - and in particular Hairy. I'm lucky in that I have a good job and small essential outgoings and I was fortunate to clear a proportion of the debt via some share options. I fell off the wagon a few times too! I did tell my daughter eventually about the scale of my debt and she's the only one who knows apart from my virtual friends on here. I didn't tell my DSis as although I love her to bits, she's incapable of keeping a secret for too long!

It was due to the fact I couldn't get anymore credit cards that brought me up short and I realised retirement was heading my way fast. YNAB has been and is my friend in budgeting as I now have virtual pots for all expenses and know exactly what is in my bank, on my credit cards (paid off in full each month), and in my purse at any time. I'm trying to throw more each month into my works pension, which also cuts down my disposable income so I'm in training for when a reduced income hits at retirement.

Good luck to you - I'm sure that debt will be long gone in 2019!

And apologies Hairy for hijacking your diary!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    HH have a nice trip, I hope you enjoy it.

Good luck on your job applications.

I love watching the cheesy Christmas films, you know the ones that are so bad they're good. :rotfl: My other (very grown-up) favourite Christmas film is The Muppets Christmas Carol. :D
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Daisy thanks for popping in :).

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: you might think I ran a boarding school!

Good luck with reading my diary, it will take you a long time to read all my waffling :eek:.

I'm up to here now! You have been through such a huge year and even though you may not think it you are doing really well. Belated commiserations about your mum, such a shock for you all and obviously so sadly missed.

Daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope you have had a lovely weekend Hairy,it's nice to have a change of scene sometimes,we watched a Christmas film on Netflix the other night called The Christmas Chronicals,Kurt Russell plays Santa and it's quite funny
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • @SSG @INOD @Carboot @Nicnak @Elizabeth @DIA @Sashybo @daisy @OBL Thanks all of you :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure