Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 35,705Posts
    • 41,883Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 1
    • melly_g
    • By melly_g 19th Jun 16, 7:13 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    melly_g
    • 19th Jun 16, 7:13 PM
    • 19th Jun 16, 7:13 PM
    After sky wanting me to start paying £80 a month for the full HD package and Tv only I cancelled. I waited a couple of weeks and then contacted them again and I got a 50% off deal so now paying £40 and got a £50 credit to my account. Pleased with that!
    • Gnasher86
    • By Gnasher86 21st Jun 16, 12:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gnasher86
    • 21st Jun 16, 12:59 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 12:59 PM
    I have an issue on which id like some advice.

i now see this as a mistake but 9 months ago i agreed to a 50% off discount for 9 months but on a 12 month contract, i have now been informed that my bill is rising to the full amount and my contract doesn't end until 1 Sept.

I called up this morning to try and cancel and was told there would be a termination fee equivalent to the outstanding balance, the other option was to downgrade to the basic package at £20 a month wait for 31 days and then cancel but then id lose the sports and movies which is all i really want it for anyway.

She offered me 25% off for 12 months to stay which isn't a good deal. So my quandary is, aside from the options above what plan of attack can i take to get involved in the 50/60% off banter, should i just bite the bullet and wait until I'm in the the last 30 days of contract and then cancel and hope for the best or is there something else I'm not thinking of.

Cheers

Gnasher
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Jun 16, 2:21 PM
    • 9,174 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:21 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:21 PM
    I think you are stuck with the options you mention, as you agreed to a 12 month contract with just a 9 month offer. (I was offered the same and refused on the grounds that reduces the 50% offer to an over all 37.5% off. )

See the minimum term through, give 31 days notice before it is up and then wait for a better offer.
    • Gnasher86
    • By Gnasher86 21st Jun 16, 2:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gnasher86
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:41 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:41 PM
    Yeh thats what i thought, rookie error!!

thanks
    • spyhunter
    • By spyhunter 21st Jun 16, 10:19 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    spyhunter
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:19 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:19 PM
    The best thing to do to get the best discount with SKY is Cancel and wait for the offers to come rolling in.

They will offer you the bare minimum until you actually cancel. This shows you are serious and they will then offer the best deals.

It normally starts at 35% off and then increasing to 50% off any package.

Using live chat seems to get the best deals but only after you have placed a cancellation order.

Bill credits of £50 are not uncommon.

SKY do seem to have gotten tighter with the discounts offered by the front line retentions teams but if you actually cancel they will offer almost anything to get you back.
    • BIRCHY50
    • By BIRCHY50 23rd Jun 16, 9:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    BIRCHY50
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:31 PM
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:31 PM
    Any sky fibre broadband deals out there and is it any good?
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Jun 16, 9:49 PM
    • 16,158 Posts
    • 60,035 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:49 PM
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:49 PM
    I got 25% off for 12 months x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 23rd Jun 16, 9:58 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:58 PM
    • 23rd Jun 16, 9:58 PM
    CANCELLING is the only way to get the deal you want.

I tried to barter with them - only got offered 25% off. So, I cancelled. Few hours later got offered 35% off and the very next day 50% off.
    • afc80
    • By afc80 25th Jun 16, 12:03 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    afc80
    I cancelled via live chat 5 minutes ago.

Said i was not interested in any deals to speed up the cancellation.

Processed quickly.

Went straight into my account via my telly to check on my "exclusive offer".

Offer was 50% off my current package. My current package is the highest priced "entertainment" package plus sky sports. I really only watch sports.

Sure i could have got a credit if i waited but decided to take the 50%.

Now on my 7th consecuitive year of 50% sky tv.
    Last edited by afc80; 25-06-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 25th Jun 16, 3:39 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    I have been with Sky for a long time, probably around 10 years. Every year they have put the price up ever so slightly but now I am paying a good £15 or so for the same package I had way back when. What pushed me over the edge was when I got a message saying that my bill will go up by £6 a month!

I thought to myself -

We now have Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.
    BT are showing a lot of the sport and all of the Champions League
    HD is still an extra and not even a TV standard yet despite the fact with have UHD now
    I have a number apps on my phone that allow me to stream TV, including Sky, for free
    Furthermore, I can also share the stream with my 50" TV

So why do I need Sky? I kept it but got rid of all the Sky packages. As I split the cost with my brother (multi room) I pay £18 per month and that is mainly for the convenience of recording shows.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 28-06-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Inappropriate posting
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 25th Jun 16, 6:44 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    lee111s
    Cancelled about 6 months ago. Various phone calls offering 50% off.

Got a call today offering 60% off plus £100 credit. I only had the most basic package anyway so it's 100% free for a year
    • moneysavingjoe
    • By moneysavingjoe 28th Jun 16, 12:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    moneysavingjoe
    I have an issue on which id like some advice.

i now see this as a mistake but 9 months ago i agreed to a 50% off discount for 9 months but on a 12 month contract, i have now been informed that my bill is rising to the full amount and my contract doesn't end until 1 Sept.

I called up this morning to try and cancel and was told there would be a termination fee equivalent to the outstanding balance, the other option was to downgrade to the basic package at £20 a month wait for 31 days and then cancel but then id lose the sports and movies which is all i really want it for anyway.

She offered me 25% off for 12 months to stay which isn't a good deal. So my quandary is, aside from the options above what plan of attack can i take to get involved in the 50/60% off banter, should i just bite the bullet and wait until I'm in the the last 30 days of contract and then cancel and hope for the best or is there something else I'm not thinking of.

Cheers

Gnasher
    Originally posted by Gnasher86
    Hey Gnasher.

I had the same problem-10 month deal, twelve month contract. I was told I couldn't get out early but could put in my cancellation for the end of my contract. After having a read round I decided to try my luck on live chat. Said I'd been offered 60% off and £100 bill credit. They came back to me and said 50% and £50 which I accepted. Even better no extension to my contract! 12 month deal but only tied in for the final two months of my previous contract.

Hope it helps
    • ox-boy
    • By ox-boy 30th Jun 16, 12:59 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ox-boy
    I am an existing sky TV customer.

My existing broadband and line rental is with BT and looking to move these across and take Sky Fibre.

Anyone had any joy in getting a better Sky fibre deal than those advertised for new customers?
    • purpleposting4
    • By purpleposting4 1st Jul 16, 7:29 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    purpleposting4
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Sky full Family Bundle with Sports and Movies.
    (no HD, no landline or broadband with Sky)

£29 per month, 60% off.

No contract, and a £50 credit.

Negotiated after I had cancelled their tv package, waited until the last day before I was due to be cut off and then contacted them through live chat. Said I wanted to negotiate a deal please (remember manners) and said exactly what I wanted; 60% off full package (gave them the full price and costings for a 60% discount), said that a friend was given this deal so I would like the same 'please' and they agreed! I also asked kindly kindly for a credit and stated that I did not want to be tied into a contract. Wouldn't pay any more now, and would always want the 60% off price.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 1st Jul 16, 7:36 AM
    • 6,590 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Sky full Family Bundle with Sports and Movies.
    (no HD, no landline or broadband with Sky)

£29 per month, 60% off.

No contract, and a £50 credit.

Negotiated after I had cancelled their tv package, waited until the last day before I was due to be cut off and then contacted them through live chat. Said I wanted to negotiate a deal please (remember manners) and said exactly what I wanted; 60% off full package (gave them the full price and costings for a 60% discount), said that a friend was given this deal so I would like the same 'please' and they agreed! I also asked kindly kindly for a credit and stated that I did not want to be tied into a contract. Wouldn't pay any more now, and would always want the 60% off price.
    Originally posted by purpleposting4

Is it 60% for life or for a set period?
    • purpleposting4
    • By purpleposting4 1st Jul 16, 7:59 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    purpleposting4
    It's 60% off for 12 months, but definitely with no contract, and after that time we would have to re-negotiate again, but would state that we wanted the 60% off deal and nothing else. Now we know it can be done, we wouldn't pay any more.
    • purpleposting4
    • By purpleposting4 1st Jul 16, 8:02 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    purpleposting4
    Taken from recent bill:

Latest bill

My subscriptions - 1 Jul - 31 Jul
    A month in advance

Family with Sports & Movies - including discounts

Family with Sports & Movies £74.00

Viewing Subscription Discounted - £44.40

Total £29.60

Total due 1 Jul £29.60 Payment processing
    - £29.60

Hope this helps someone x
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 1st Jul 16, 8:34 AM
    • 6,590 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    csgohan4
    It's 60% off for 12 months, but definitely with no contract, and after that time we would have to re-negotiate again, but would state that we wanted the 60% off deal and nothing else. Now we know it can be done, we wouldn't pay any more.
    Originally posted by purpleposting4

The no contract is a bonus, but for those who are having broadband, likely will be on 12 months minimum.

I will try your method out and see if it works. Shame that the MSE sky deal ended yesterday, not due for renewal until end of August
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 1st Jul 16, 8:59 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    paragon909
    I recently signed up to sky.... Got Original package at the £20 cost and £125 mastercard... I then signed up for the free broadband for a year only paying line rental.... I did see an offer that they would give me £100 M&S, But I knew I didn't qualify So I called anyway chancing my luck and said im unhappy I didn't get this, They offered to reduce my entire bill buy £5 a month for the next 12 month... So paying for original and line rental at £31.99, Which seems fine to me...

Plus i've earned £500 from referring friends to SKY. Got them on the prepaid mastercards...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

6,405Users online

Martin's Twitter