Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,761Posts
    • 70,731Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 17-05-2019 at 2:22 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 305
    • skimper
    • By skimper 12th Sep 19, 6:54 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    Thanks hop hop and rambosmum.

My friend works on the reception for the ultrasounds and she books in the hycosys, she said there’s a 2 month wait but do get cancellations, so she said she’ll keep a look out for me and get me in ASAP, obvs we need to wait for OH test f results then the referral.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Sep 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That is great news about your Oh getting his appointment sorted and an available one so quickly! I remember you mentioning he put it off last time.

I did SW a few years back but fell out of love with it. My mind just isn't in it at the moment, too many things going round my head.

AF was due next week but unexpectedly had spotting yesterday. Spotting has continued today and I have the 'heavy' feeling so I think AF is on her way tonight or tomorrow - just waiting for the horrid cramps to signal she is fully here! I have to ring the clinic once AF arrives to arrange an appointment to go through our protocol and have the last few days - as AF has started a week earlier than I expected it has caught me off guard and I feel abit scared of everything now. Almost like it's more real now!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 18th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    I've been using my ava bracelet this month and so far it's been spot on with temps & my cycle.
    AF turned up today, so back to cd1 for me.

OH has his SA tomorrow, so we both have the day off work, will be visiting my grandad at the hospital whilst we're there. Then maybe a bit of carpet shopping to finish off the hallway.
    Hoping he gets the results back quickly so we can move on to the next steps.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 20th Sep 19, 8:48 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    Turns out the Dr gave us the wrong pot for his SA, luckily they could still accept it as it was a closed sterile pot.

Had my referral letter through so made the first appointment they had, on 31st October! So 6 weeks away.
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 23rd Sep 19, 9:08 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    ummm.....
    I've got a positive!
    we weren't really trying this month but hubby's dad died and, well...... (hubby didn't go into work for a week and I work from home.... )
    It's kind of nice in a "circle of life" kind of way...

(Big hugs for you all - hope you get a sticky bean soon. I'm still paranoid every time I go to the toilet and expect to see blood there. After my early loss last year that's to be expected I guess)
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • skimper
    • By skimper 25th Sep 19, 6:36 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    That's amazing new auntie pickle!

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father in law. My grandad passed away this week, and Ive thought about if we conceived this cycle it would be a nice circle of life type thing, hopefully he can spread some luck and I can get our positive this month!
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 26th Sep 19, 8:02 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 2,525 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Congratulations Pickle

No news here.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Oct 19, 8:25 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Congratulations AUnty Pickle! I hope you have a wonderful 9 months ahead of you

We have ordered and paid for our IVF drugs and we have our appointment this week to learn how to administer them! Fingers crossed AF arrives after it then we can start this month
    • HopHop
    • By HopHop 8th Oct 19, 10:22 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    HopHop
    Congratulations Aunty Pickle! All the best going forwards!

Exciting times for you PKK, I don't know much about what you'll need to do but I have my fingers crossed that you have good news soon
    • skimper
    • By skimper 8th Oct 19, 10:56 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    How exciting PKK! Hope AF holds out until after your appointment.

I'm currently in the 2WW & we've had the results of OH's SA, all good there. I have my first app with the clinic on the 31st. I feel like it going to be a slow process if its 6-8 weeks between each appointment.
    Last edited by skimper; 08-10-2019 at 3:16 PM.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 10th Oct 19, 3:23 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 2,525 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    pkk have you had your appointment yet?

Good luck in the TWW skimper.

Still no news here.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks ladies!

We;ve had our appointment and AF has arrived today! My injections will start tomorrow to stimulate my ovaries and I think I start having scans to check on how my follicles are growing from approx weds. I have to wait for the clinic to call back on Monday to arrange the first scan. I will then start another drug at some point which will stop my body from ovulating. Approx 10-14 days from today I'll take a 'trigger shot' then 38 hours later I go into theatre to have my eggs removed and crossing our fingers! We are taking each step one at a time.... so first thing is to start the injections tomorrow. I am feeling quite motivated and positive
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 12th Oct 19, 3:23 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Good luck PKK! Mind if I ask if this is flare/ short protocol you'll be having?
    My daughter is starting it in December.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Oct 19, 3:28 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Good luck PKK! Mind if I ask if this is flare/ short protocol you'll be having?
    My daughter is starting it in December.
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Yes it is the short protocol
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 12th Oct 19, 3:52 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Thanks.
    Fingers crossed .!
    I always cheer you ladies on from the sidelines.
    Her amh is on the low side despite age being in her favour.
    They need Icsi too so a bit of a double whammy.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 14th Oct 19, 7:24 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    skimper
    Spotting started late last night & more today, so expect tomorrow to be cd1.

I'm really struggling mentally at the minute, when I'm at work and surrounded by people I'm OK, but the moment I'm home alone or driving I feel so down. I don't down if the fact its time of the month has made me extra emotional or what, but I just feel so teary and rubbish. I swear if I hear "your trying too hard" & "it'll happen when the times right" again I'm going to punch someone.
    Last edited by skimper; 14-10-2019 at 6:52 PM.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 15th Oct 19, 3:39 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 2,525 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Sorry to hear that skimper, it's !!!!.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 19th Oct 19, 9:26 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Artytarty, we are having ICSI too. It's no different for the person than IVF is, just to extra cost hahaha. Luckily my AMH is very good,although of course that doesn't say whether my eggs are high quality!

We are a week in to the injecting and I feel ok so far. I've had a little headache today and accidentally had a two hour nap instead of going to the gym! hahaha So I think the side effects from the drugs are going to be more noticeable over the next few days.

I'm sorry skimper . Rambosmum is right, it is !!!!. We need to allow ourselves the down moments in this journey as otherwise if we don't let it out it will consume us!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 20th Oct 19, 10:41 AM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Hi PKK, I'm glad you've got a good amh, that is an indicator of egg quality as well I believe. All sounds good for you.
    I hope the side effects aren't too bad,it will all be done soon at least!
    I think it's both terribly exciting and terrifying!
    So far, my daughter is very calm about it all, they have bought a package deal which gives you lots of tries in a two year period so that at least reduces the pressure somewhat.
    She won't tell anyone though,I keep saying it's not a nasty little secret but she thinks if they know they'll be waiting and asking. Fair point.

Single egg transfer or double? Here they are very against carrying twins if possible so single transfer is recommended. Even then though I've read that the chances of twins with ICSI is as high as 30%!
    It's Lower for straight IVF.
    Last edited by Artytarty; 20-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 22nd Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 15,161 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me rejoining? I was here in 2016-2017 when TTC my lovely DS who is now 19 months and we are starting to think of having another. I'm still breastfeeding so my cycles are all over the place and I have endometriosis and PCOS which doesn't help.

I've only had 3 periods since DS was born so I don't think this will be particularly easy but last time it only took a year with the endo/PCOS problems so I'm just going to see what happens (I give it 2 months max before I buy OPKs though )

Sending lots of baby dust to everyone, especially you PKK
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - £153.800.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,093Posts Today

7,587Users online

Martin's Twitter