Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 28
    • Kitchen Sink
    • By Kitchen Sink 14th May 19, 10:47 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Kitchen Sink
    I filled in the first name and address section of the switchover but when I ticked "yes I have a smart metre" this came up at the bottom
    "Bulb are unable to support existing smart meters on the tariff you've selected. If you already have a smart meter you will not be able to switch to this tariff."
    : (

I'm with utilia I have a feeling their small print has locked me in to staying with them
    Originally posted by grai
    Your thread from 2 months ago about this is here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5973200

The replies already given seem to cover all eventualties I can think of based on the limited information you have provided.
    I suggest if still need help, you return to that thread, so people don't waste their time & effort duplicating the advice you have already received.
    • ConsumerMatt
    • By ConsumerMatt 16th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ConsumerMatt
    I switched from BG (with smart meter) to Bulb at the end of Feb. The switch was nice and smooth and communication from Bulb was (and continues to be) good. There was no mention of being unable to switch if I had a smart meter, just the expected statement along the lines of "the smart meter will become dumb".

It's been a bit of an adjustment having to read the meters myself but nothing too taxing and the estimates are always fairly close should I miss a reading. My previously smart meters display the usage numbers on the front just as a dumb meter would.

The website is great. Simple, intuitive, stable and fast. Very basic compared to British Gas. Although the extra functionality on the BG website was cancelled out by how buggy it was and the convoluted path to find anything I needed to see (from a visual and user experience perspective).

I was happy with BG on my tariff and wouldn't have switched if my fixed rate hadn't ended but overall Bulb is better in my opinion. All of my utility admin is online and a well designed website is important for that reason.
    • gatita
    • By gatita 21st May 19, 5:29 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    I decided to switch to BULB after my deal with First Utility/Shell was coming to an end. Excellent communication with Bulb. Today I had an email from them saying that Shell Energy had blocked the request!! and that the "probable" explanation was an unpaid bill or a conversion into flats. I was fuming as none of these things were true.
    I contacted Shell as they refused to give an explanation to BULB as to WHY they had blocked my move. They, SHELL replied "they had no idea why they had blocked my move." but they would look into it. This is really not good enough, they are just obstructing people from moving. They say I will have to wait at least 48 hours before they rectify THEIR mistake.
    Don't these companies drive you insane!
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 21st May 19, 9:24 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I've re entered meter readings 10 days since initial readings.
    Very simple -approx 100 units both day and night used across 10 days/nights.
    Nice to see tonight's readings already visible online -that's where sse i.t. Fell short.
    Bulb are off to a nice reliable start -all I need to hope for, is that I'm not too far away from >£60 DD.
    Hopefully I'll get an idea from 11th June when 2nd DD is debited.
    Maybe the useage chart wil show some info during June.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 22nd May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    I've re entered meter readings 10 days since initial readings.
    Very simple -approx 100 units both day and night used across 10 days/nights.
    Nice to see tonight's readings already visible online -that's where sse i.t. Fell short.
    Bulb are off to a nice reliable start -all I need to hope for, is that I'm not too far away from >£60 DD.
    Hopefully I'll get an idea from 11th June when 2nd DD is debited.
    Maybe the useage chart wil show some info during June.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    Some suppliers take the simple approach an immediately display customer supplied readings as soon as they are submitted

Others take a delayed approach, waiting for customer supplied readings to be approved by the independant meter reading agency first.

If they are displayed immediately but are not subsequently agreed, then the customer can sometimes be left completely confused if such readings remain displayed and not used for billing, or just disappear completely.

Perhaps iSupply have the best, most open approach , whereby any customer supplied reading is posted to the account immedaitely, but below the line.
    When the reading is approved by the independant meter reading agency, it is moved above the line.
    Only readings moved to above the line are used by the supplier for billing purposes

(other suppliers may have a similar method but I've only experience of iSupply doing this)
    Last edited by Benight; 22-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 22nd May 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Thanks @benight

Bulbs communication has been excellent though I have only asked two questions since account setup only a few weeks earlier.
    Their advice is to enter meter reading possibly twice per month one of which close to my next billing date.
    I have since set a reminder for 9th of each month to ensure I get my reading an in by 10th for 11th Billing date.
    Your isupply example sound good though I thought for years SP were decent as well -their it.. updated my readings as often as I had entered them and my account debited my useable within a day or two.
    I missed that when I switched ton sse during 2018/2019 though I'm hoping to Hue they will update their systems over next few years though their Advisors were excellent over Tel.
    Only 2-3 weeks and I'll get an idea of the cost is going to be over summer with Bulb-could be interesting if they beat Sse's £85 per month.
    • fiftyg
    • By fiftyg 23rd May 19, 4:20 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    fiftyg
    Bulb Issues
    Using the Energy Club I decided to switch to Bulb. I had been in the place for a couple of years and had used two Energy Club suggestions prior.

The hand over was not smooth, but they kept me in the loop. The first month was £54 combined, which was more or less the same as EDF to be fair. I think I swapped for all the sustainability talk.

Then in October the next I had an email to say that they were raising the amount to £200 as we were going into winter! My usage had not changed, so I was a little annoyed with that, and I called to say that my smart meter can corroborate this. That's when I was told that they do not take smart meter readings! This I think is disgraceful, as nothing was communicated to me on the initial conversation. I even went as far as to tell them that I had just had the meters installed and I was told it's not an issue. In my mind I just thought they would come to some financial agreement with EDF.

Anyway, I had to leave the property quickly in December (It got super mouldy) but I communicated to them that I was leaving and did not want to use them in my new property. Especially,as I had to make monthly calls to tell them that I am not paying £200 a month. Unfortunately, where my meters had been installed, did not allow for me to access the front of them at all. I was not there myself but my other half told me the engineer had to sweat a lot to place them where he did. And as I said previously. If they told me that they could not read smart meters, for my piece of mind I would have just stayed with EDF.

Finally, despite my constant communications that I am no longer in the property, they continued to charge me (£200+) so I now supposedly owe them £1000+

I have opened up a case on resolver, and they are finally communicating with me, not reading the email I sent of course, but at least it is in a medium whereby if it has to go to arbitration they can see that I supplied all the relevant information.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th May 19, 7:54 AM
    • 35,706 Posts
    • 41,891 Thanks
    Browntoa
    And this is not the thread for referrals
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • gatita
    • By gatita 30th May 19, 5:38 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    My experience with BULB has and is abysmal, lots of replies but no solution. About 10 days ago I applied to join BULB. A week later I got a message to say my old supplier (ShellEnergy) had objected to my switch!, back to Shell.... they INSIST they have NOT stopped the switch. Bulb then said everything was okay and I would be switched on the 3rd June. Surprise surprise yesterday yet another message saying I would not be moved as.guess! Shell had objected!!
    Shell have given me a very detailed explanation saying they have not at anytime objected to the switch, that BULB had WITHDRAWN their demand for the switch. (Can you hear my scream?)
    I have given BULB ALL the messages from SHELL to BULB to try and help, but it seems IMPOSSIBLE to move. Who is holding WHO to ransome here?
    Has anyone any idea of what I can do? My contract with SHELL finishes in days, so I will be on their higher tariff until I leave I suppose.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
    • mckencf
    • By mckencf 31st May 19, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mckencf
    Switch to Bulb was easy but no moving on
    I switched to Bulb after having issues with Scottish Power and did the switch through MSE Energy Club - which went very smoothly.

However, my bills have increased nearly 50% from when I joined, despite energy prices falling and I am now paying more than I was with Scottish Power, also they charge in advance and, I have just found out, that they insist you maintain a credit balance at all times. Historically, I built up huge credits over the summer months which took care of the higher winter bills, but would still regularly request refunds as I don't think energy companies should earn interest on my money.
    My biggest issue is that Bulb would recalculate my monthly payments immediately before a payment was taken, which made my debit balance appear much larger than it was. Also, when I received the email advising that my payments were jumping up, I selected the link on the email asking them to recalculate as I knew a payment was coming off the next day, which hadn't been factored in. I never heard anything so assumed my payment was remaining at the current level, but then received an email advising that the payment had been increased and couldn't be reduced until the following month, which seems to contradict the fact that when they send you notification of the upcoming payment, they say that if you add current meter readings the bill will be recalculated to take account of actual usage as opposed to estimated usage.
    Also, when looking at the Bulb community, alarm bells rang as anyone commenting unfavourably were heavily criticised by other 'members', who I assume get 'rewarded' for their positive comments as it is the same user names which do the praising.
    I loved the idea of 100% renewable energy, but this company was not for me and I am now switching again.
    • Parnott
    • By Parnott 2nd Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Parnott
    No issues, competitive charges and already got 6 others to switch so earned over £300 in referral payments and my account is still over £250 in credit. What's not to like!! :-)
    ------------------------------------------
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 11th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Another referral link in the wrong section

Reported
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Missing data -reported
    • Man in a Suitcase
    • By Man in a Suitcase 11th Jun 19, 10:02 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Man in a Suitcase
    Has anyone else noticed the fault which has recently appeared on Bulb's quote page? It won't let you put different suppliers in Refine the Quote for gas and electricity now. I switched the mother-in-law a few months ago and it was working fine then.
    • apprearaff
    • By apprearaff 14th Jun 19, 4:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    apprearaff
    Reflects the true cost of energy?
    I'm a Bulb customer
    I can't understand why my tariff hasn't been adjusted to reflect the real market trends.

In the blog They talk about the price trend in 2018, why don't they share the 2019 data? Even the Big6 prices fell down with a gap compared to Bulb tariff of over 70 pounds!!!!

Just look at any price comparison website!

Haven't they said that on your website that tariff reflects the true cost of energy????? Is this your "FAIR" tariff?
    Raff
    • Minigbh
    • By Minigbh 24th Jun 19, 10:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Minigbh
    Was very hopeful at start, then delay with customer services
    I joined Bulb, and was looking forward to been on an electric supplier who wanted to do it slightly different having only one tariff, and renewable electricity, after lots of positive reviews with friends and family been customers so was looking forward to a simple switch, and great customer service.

However, I have to say that I have been very disappointed of the level of customer service as despite giving initial meter reading, taken from my previous suppliers website via my smart meter (which is now dumb but I knew that it was going to be) so should be accurate enough to not be disputed. For the first few weeks I regularly submitted meter readings weekly and noticed that my account was not updated with the readings page. So rang Bulb, to try to get it rectified and they process my initial readings but them lost my other readings, then noticed my meter readings where changes to lower figures than the ones I originally provided. Significantly lower with 1400 less on my night readings than my actual readings.

After numerous calls and email exchanges, the situation is still not resolved some 13 weeks after after my initial switch. I have had to chase every step and the situation still not been resolved, despite bulb “raising a dispute” with my previous despite it been there issue.
    Here hoping it gets sorted soon.
    • leviathan
    • By leviathan 1st Jul 19, 4:39 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    leviathan
    Have been with them for nearly two months
    Have not had a bill yet
    Final readings and photos of meter were supplied but previous supplier wont accept them - bulb's word.
    Bulb have suspended billing but failed to clearly layout what the process is.

Bulb's communication on the matter is almost non-existent. Which is surprising as they sent me a constant flurry of unwanted emails during my account setup process, but now, when I need their help, they are slient.

So far I'm not inpressed and if only they would answer my emails to them I might be able to let them know.
    I'm sure they go through these problems daily given the size of their customer base, so keeping me informed should be easy, but the evidence would prove otherwise.

Therefore I'm in limbo and despite all the wonderful noises about how easy it is to switch and not having to deal with old supplier, "we will take care of you", etc - I will no doubt end up in a protracted arguement with the old supplier and I will drag Bulb into this due to their in action to deal with it on my behalf & especially the failure to communicate properly.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 1st Jul 19, 5:00 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Most people on here are only with bulb for the generous referral cash..when I was with them never had any problems.
    • gatita
    • By gatita 1st Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    Help?
    I was also going crazy in the beginning, but I eventually had good communication with "Adam M" he really has been great, maybe you could send an email to him (for the Attn of ADAM M) Good luck!
    • billp42
    • By billp42 4th Jul 19, 11:03 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    billp42
    Hello Minigbh

I've been with Bulb for nearly two years and have not had a problem - however, I had an unsurmountable amount of problems with Eversmart, my old supplier, so used Resolver. It's a free complaints tool recommended by Money saving experts - and it works. I put my case to them and the problem was sorted out in days, something that I'd been trying to sort for two years with Neversmart.

Just google "resolver money saving experts".

Good luck
    Last edited by billp42; 04-07-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: post was in reply to another but it was loaded as a separate post
    • staggered
    • By staggered 29th Jul 19, 6:31 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    staggered
    Bulb were ok when I signed up to them but once they installed smart meters everything went wrong and their communication / customer service has been completely non-existent.

The smart meters didn't work - Bulb weren't receiving any readings from them - and I wasn't able to provide readings online or over the phone because, according to my account, I still had the old meters.

I asked them to correct this over 2 months ago - I sent them pictures of the new meters and the card left by the installer showing final readings on the old meters - and followed up with two phone calls. They did absolutely nothing. No response. No resolution. Nothing.

They continued to bill me based on estimated readings, on the old meters, even though I repeatedly tried to give them actual readings from the new meters.

I threatened to leave them, hoping that might encourage them to fix things but they still did absolutely nothing.

I've now left them and there's no sign of them issuing a final bill, even though they've been provided final meter readings by the new supplier.

I've given them 7 days to resolve things, if I don't hear anything I'll escalate to the Ombudsman.

I'm really surprised and disappointed how bad they've been.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

11Posts Today

4,189Users online

Martin's Twitter