Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 04-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.
Page 2
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 18th May 16, 9:23 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Anyone else got a 'special offer' in the email about the BT price increase? It says:

- 'And here's a great deal available now.
    Get better value: We've reviewed your account and have a personalised offer for you, based on the services you have with us. Just log in with your BT ID or account number before 2 July 2016.'

I looked and it's 14/mth (+ line rental) for 12 mth contract BT Infinity 1 unlimited up to 52Mb - 46% off they say. I'm currently paying 16.90 for up to 38Mb.

Looks good to me.
    Last edited by OldDIYer; 18-05-2016 at 9:24 AM. Reason: Missed a bit out
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th May 16, 12:06 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes
    Same as yours and 52 meg starts July .

I shall probably go above offer plus pay in advance line rental at pre price rise .
    Plus BT TV basic at 0 pm .
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 18th May 16, 2:14 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    BT Offer
    I may go for the basic 0/mth TV to get BT Sport 'free' (49 set-up cost).

I phoned to find out the anytime calls cost - it's 6.50 (was 5.65) and BT Sport on Sky - 3 (was 2.50). So overall it would be about 50p/mth less than I'm paying now including line rental.

I too will take line rental saver before the price increase, saving an extra 12 over the 10% for paying in advance - about 34 altogether. (ie pay 194 instead of 18.99/mth (228pa))
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th May 16, 4:23 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You can pay the next advanced LR 27 days or less from your current ALR end date .
    • warrenrichards
    • By warrenrichards 18th May 16, 10:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    warrenrichards
    Why would anybody haggle BT?

I've just left my contract with them and moved to SSE - got 136 cash back and 75mb broadband for FREE for 18 months (on top of a total saving of 400+ over the year).

To get the best deal you HAVE to move each year in my opinion.
    • warrenrichards
    • By warrenrichards 18th May 16, 11:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    warrenrichards
    cashback
    if you clicked through TopCashBack you would have got 60 cash back as well!!

Next time
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 19th May 16, 2:09 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Why BT?
    Why would anybody haggle BT?

I've just left my contract with them and moved to SSE - got 136 cash back and 75mb broadband for FREE for 18 months (on top of a total saving of 400+ over the year).

To get the best deal you HAVE to move each year in my opinion.
    Originally posted by warrenrichards
    If, like me, you want BT Sport it's a good idea to haggle with BT, as you can get it for free with basic TV or for 3/mth.

However, the SSE deal is excellent, especially with the 136 cashback (presumably through TopCashBack). It would work out cheaper for me even if I pay the full 21.99/mth to get BT Sport on Sky! However, I notice that they charge 3.50 for caller display, which is free on BT, but even with that added I'd still save money compared to BT.

I haven't re-signed up with BT yet, as I'm waiting for my line rental in advance to get closer to it's expiry date, so I think I might switch too. I see the offer's on till November 2016. Hope the TopCashBack deal stays there till I switch!
    Last edited by OldDIYer; 19-05-2016 at 2:44 PM. Reason: Further info
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 19th May 16, 2:11 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    TopCashBack
    if you clicked through TopCashBack you would have got 60 cash back as well!!

Next time
    Originally posted by warrenrichards
    I think the 136 is through TopCashBack.
    • Mr_LochNess
    • By Mr_LochNess 20th May 16, 2:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_LochNess
    Got the letter about the BT price hike in July. Took 20 minutes but they discounted me back to price I was paying two years ago so I'm saving over 50 per year. They also offered to waive CLI charge but I don't want that anyway. Result!
    • airforce
    • By airforce 21st May 16, 6:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    airforce
    BT Offer
    I been offered the following deal 18/mth plus line rental for 24 mth contract BT Infinity 1 unlimited upto 52mb
    Any opinions on this deal?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd May 16, 8:35 AM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    I have been offered Infinity 1unlimited at 14 pm 12 month contract .
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 22nd May 16, 2:21 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    I been offered the following deal 18/mth plus line rental for 24 mth contract BT Infinity 1 unlimited upto 52mb
    Any opinions on this deal?
    Originally posted by airforce
    Several people on here have been offered 14/mth + line rental, 12 mth contract for Infinity 1 Unlimited up to 52Mb.

However, SSE is free + line rental and anytime calls (21) for even faster broadband, 18 mth contract, plus 136.50 cashback via TopCashBack.

I make that 13.42/mth. If you want caller display it's + 3.50/mth, but that's still less than BT's line rental of 18.99/mth and you're getting anytime calls and faster broadband.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd May 16, 3:31 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Problem is i want BT Sport do SSE offer it ??
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 22nd May 16, 4:36 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    VisionMan
    I've just rung BT as I was due for renewal. 19's a lot for line rental but their all pushing it up.

Anyway, I was shocked to discover Unlimited BT Infinity 2 was/is going up to 32.50 a month. Thats eye-watering. Currently on 24.50.

After some too-ing and fro-ing they offered me 19 line rental with free caller display, 17.50 BT Infinity 2, 5.50 BT TV, Free BT Sport and free HD. I also chose Netflix at 7 and Sky Sports HD at 29 (ouch), but thats still cheaper than getting it from SKY directly. So I renewed, saving 240 over the year, over the full price.

'Now why did I do that?', many will ask. Its because 1 - I like them. 2 - I've never had any problems with them (even when I've had a problem) and 3 - because their services work, superbly. Not to mention the excellent BT Sport offerings.

Why didn't I go rushing and gushing to SSE? Why? Because I wouldn't be seen dead with that outfit. Theres a reason their cheap and thats because their crap. They offer poor services that are plagued by problems and their customer service is even worse. They've been shedding customers by the bucket load in the last 2 years and the ridiculously low prices being quoted on here is their panic response to stop or at least lower churn.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/sse-worst-big-six-energy-6826609#gxRJROrGkcgFb6Mj.97

I don't recommend them.
    Last edited by VisionMan; 22-05-2016 at 8:16 PM.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 23rd May 16, 9:58 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Problem is i want BT Sport do SSE offer it ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    No BT Sport offered by SSE, but I worked out that they'd still be cheaper than my BT offer even if I paid the full 21.99/mth (26.99 HD) to get it on Sky. If you don't have Sky there's no contest. Stick with BT but don't pay more than others are being offered.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 23rd May 16, 10:09 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer

Why didn't I go rushing and gushing to SSE? Why? Because I wouldn't be seen dead with that outfit. Theres a reason their cheap and thats because their crap. They offer poor services that are plagued by problems and their customer service is even worse. They've been shedding customers by the bucket load in the last 2 years and the ridiculously low prices being quoted on here is their panic response to stop or at least lower churn.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/sse-worst-big-six-energy-6826609#gxRJROrGkcgFb6Mj.97

I don't recommend them.
    Originally posted by VisionMan
    The reviews on MSE site don't agree! http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#fibreoptic

Broadband Customer Service:
    Great/OK/Poor %

BT 27/29/44
    SSE 65/13/22
    Sky 37/34/29
    TalkTalk 17/26/57
    Virgin 50/30/21

SSE's Great score is best by far and only Virgin has a lower poor score!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 23rd May 16, 12:17 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Problem with that is that compared to the numbers in use a poll of 100 or so is useless .

For me personally its also a case of i don't want to go with a reseller .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 23-05-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 24th May 16, 8:48 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    The reviews on MSE site don't agree! http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#fibreoptic

Broadband Customer Service:
    Great/OK/Poor %

BT 27/29/44
    SSE 65/13/22
    Sky 37/34/29
    TalkTalk 17/26/57
    Virgin 50/30/21

SSE's Great score is best by far and only Virgin has a lower poor score!
    Originally posted by OldDIYer
    I've gone with SSE, but am beginning to have some doubts. About 3 weeks ago I moved my gas / electric to them and they have just messed up my final readings, meaning I've started based on an estimate.

A week ago I signed up for broadband and Quidco hasn't tracked. I tried to put in a claim, but I can't without a contract number, which SSE hasn't supplied yet - so it isn't a promising start!
    • markg73
    • By markg73 27th May 16, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markg73
    Just called BT about my line rental and told them that the so called saver option was hardly a saving. I remember 3 years ago paying 129 and now its now 194. The chap was clearly not interested as he said that line rental saver option is non-negotiable. Told me to phone back in November when my broadband was and they could sort something...

Not happy!!

Mark
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th May 16, 2:31 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    If you are not happy then source an alternative and leave .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

7,283Users online

Martin's Twitter