Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,259Posts
    • 14,547Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 121
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 21st Oct 19, 4:27 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    orangecrush
    We had a few unfortunate losses in a short amount of time, Cheery! We started with 3 hens, Carmen, Rainbow (don't ask) and Buffy, about 4 years ago. Carmen became eggbound and had to be put to sleep. Rainbow just dropped dead - we have no idea what happened. One morning she was just dead, as if she'd gone to sleep and not woken up. That left Buffy on her own. Buffy - despite being the best part of 4kg - was at the bottom of the pecking order so we didn't expect her to have violent tendencies, but I think she had some pent up aggression

Anyway, she was lonely and pulling her feathers out on her own, so we picked up 2 Shetland hens - Rusty who was 18 months and Ginger, one of her brood, who was teeny tiny at the time. For whatever reason, Buffy took an instant dislike to Rusty, and terrorised the poor girl. She pecked her really hard on the side of the head leaving an open wound that got infected and turned into an abcess She had 2 surgeries to try and clear the abcess but it kept coming back, and was obstructing her breathing and after a month of antibiotics she just wasn't well, so we had her put to sleep Rusty was the most lovely, cuddly hen. I think that's probably why she got in trouble with Buffy - she just wanted to be with henny friends! We thought we did everything by the book with introductions (sectioned off part of the coop so they could see each other but not be in direct contact) but as soon as they were allowed out to range, Buffy went on the attack. She's now chief chicken, and is so huge I can't imagine introducing another hen to her again!

On your builders - I'm sure they are lovely, and competent! It sounds like you know what you're doing anyway, this was our first house, first project... we must have smelled of naiveity from ten miles away! Our builder left us with a half finished job (that was shoddy in so many places we had to pay a fortune to get it remedied) after his gambling debts came after him and his wife kicked him out... he ran away to another part of the country, so the story goes. Ho hum!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 27th Oct 19, 12:56 AM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 46,366 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh orangecrush, drama all round!

Sorry to hear about your hen experience sounds like you did everything right. Hens can just be plain old mean

Our ladies have heard a full day free ranging today although they did confuse themselves earlier - they've been in an enclosure in the garden all week - it's an area they are used to spending a lot of time in, but not used to having a fence around.

Today I left the gate open but they kept going to another hour of the fence (which is blocking their normal access route through some trees)

Bunch of hen plonkers

Considering myself this evening with the clocks going back they've been getting up about 7.45 but obviously that'll now be 8.45...

I've set the alarm for half 6 and hopefully we can do it gradually...
    • edwink
    • By edwink 28th Oct 19, 8:39 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    edwink
    Very quick update from me as I am so tied up at the moment and to make things more difficult my laptop has given up on me and I'm now forced to use my "going away" tablet which I really do not like using for typing as it takes so blooming long. I know I said I would get some pics on here of my new girls BUT they are all on my laptop and as that has given up on me I can't access them until I transfer them over to my new laptop, when I get one that is Grrrr!!.

Anyway, all going well and a lot less pecking going on now which I am most pleased about, just the odd spat here and there, that's all. As of last Friday last week they all took themselves off to bed up on the perches without any encouragement from us. Most mastered it earlier in the week but there were a few that couldn't quite work out the little ladder to get to the perches so decided they would perch on the ladder instead. Funny little things they are.

All of them are eating well and have now gone through numerous big bags of dried Meal Worms, big, big bags, I mean 800g sized bags. They like them better than their pellets, fussy lot they are. I suppose it serves me right for spoiling them so much but in my defence I do have a lot of fairly bald-ish girls and out of the 24 I only have 2 that have their feathered knickers on, the rest have bald bottoms, bless them. So I am feeding them up, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. Hee!!

Finally, they have a permanent roof on their coop now and today the guttering was fitted plus the waterbutts were put in place. It will make a nice change to have a supply of rainwater in the duck run so we don't need carry it to the coop and duck run in watering cans anymore. In the ten years we have kept hens we have never given them tap water to drink ever. Anyway they put fluoride in tap water and my hens and Hoppy do not have any teeth

Will update again as soon as I can and respond to posts.

Take care all.

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck Hoppy, 24 ex-battery hens, RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Nov 19, 9:34 AM
    • 32,554 Posts
    • 192,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've just got back from a trip, edwink, I'm so pleased for you that things are going so well. Rainwater butts especially are wonderful things.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Nov 19, 10:25 AM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 46,366 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning

How are our feathery pals? All cheerful and well I hope?

All well in my coop, although I'm sure the ladies weren't impressed at being shut in all day yesterday while we were away from home. Still, they survived, and don't seem to be holding a grudge this morning - they came straight out and tucked into their warm porridge with great gusto. They're out wandering free for the whole day today so all is hopefully forgiven!

Nothing much else to report. We've still not got round to taking the temporary fence down and putting the tarp on the roof - that's a job for this weekend (or next week, when I'm off work). But it WILL get done, and when it does I'll also give the run a jolly good clean out, take the mud off the floor, put in a load of our hay etc. Make it nice and fresh and cosy for them

Hope you're all getting on well
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Nov 19, 4:35 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

Sorry I've not been on our thread much but had 2 weeks of being so busy which was fine but didn't leave much time for posting on here. Now for the past week I've had a nasty cold which is thankfully on its way out but I've still got a really sore throat

I have managed to get my poorly laptop to wake up at last, how I don't know but it has It is definitely not long for this world though because I can not switch it off again as it refuses to come on for a few days. Temperamental springs to mind Anyway, a friend of mine bought a new laptop last year but couldn't get on with it so I have bought it off her. Only problem I have with it is that it runs on Windows 10 whereas my old laptop runs on Windows 7, which to be honest I much prefer. But, mustn't grumble because at least I won't need to post via my phone again which takes ages

All my girls are doing really well and coming along nicely as their pecking order is almost established with only the odd spat here and there. I have one little girl with a slight limp but I can't physically see what the problem is so she must of jumped down from something like hens do, bless her. It doesn't appear to bother her much and she is mixing well with the others and eating ok. It's definitely better than it was at the beginning of the week so we are just keeping a close eye on her.

Hoppy is dong ok and to be honest I think the new hens have given her a new lease of life. When the hens are all in the coop she sits in her run next door giving the odd little quack while watching them which looks so cute. They don't see her as a threat which is good but we wouldn't trust them around her whilst we were not outside. Hoppy was brought up with hens so she totally accepts them but in fact probably trusts them too much. The hens walk around her and so far have not bothered her but we wouldn't trust them as there are so many more of them than her. Some years ago a group of hens jumped on one of our ducks, the duck was fine just badly shaken but we wouldn't want to see that again so are being very cautious.

Orangecrush...... I remember the problems you had with poor Buffy. My guess is that Rusty was protecting Ginger especially because she was one of her brood and as you say she was so tiny. Hens can be so horrible to each other when they want to be and it's normally to do with their pecking order unfortunately. Looks like you did all you could to help Buffy, bless her.

KC...... Glad you are back Hope you had a nice time on your trip and better weather than we had here. That's assuming you were not in the UK during your time away of course. If you were here, you would have got as wet as we all did

Cheery...... I am sure your hens didn't mind being in their coop all day, just for a change. It is rare you need to do that and even when you do it is only for their own safety. Gives them a change of scenery too and somewhere different to scratch about. Have you managed to get their roof on?. I guess not an easy job in this odd weather we have be having.

We had problems with our builders too when we had our rear extension done. I couldn't wait for them to finish and go because they drove us mad, especially me. They nearly left us with a very water logged mud bath of a patio and a soak-a-way that wouldn't drain. The walls were not straight and the place looked like a tip because they were so untidy. It was done during the Winter months but never again would we do anything on that scale whilst it is snowing because it just added to the stress of it all. Builders eh?.

Will be back on here over the weekend to hopefully get the pics on of my new girls now my laptop is behaving itself I just hope I haven't spoken too soon

Take care all

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 08-11-2019 at 4:42 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Nov 19, 9:25 AM
    • 32,554 Posts
    • 192,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    KC...... Glad you are back Hope you had a nice time on your trip and better weather than we had here. That's assuming you were not in the UK during your time away of course. If you were here, you would have got as wet as we all did
    Originally posted by edwink
    I found an all-inclusive cruise for literally half price, so I went for it, with my sister one of the places we went to was St Petersburg, which is proud of having only 60 rain free days a year I was completely soaked, twice: if you're touring a garden, then thats what you do

I'm glad Hoppy and your hens are doing well, edwink, looking forward to the photos.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 12th Nov 19, 12:05 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    orangecrush
    Hello everyone!

How are you all and how are the feathery ones? Buffy and Ginger are both moulting terribly - I got a huge fright when I went to see them yesterday as I thought a fox had visited, but no, they're just shedding! They look rather bedraggled, and it's really turned cold here so I hope they get their new feathers soon to keep them warm.

It feels like it has rained constantly for the last few months, and their run is turning into a mud bath. We need a large delivery of wood chips I think, and we already have rain covers on the run, but what else can I do to give them a bit more shelter? I suppose they can always go in the Eglu if it's extra cold!

I remember during the beast from the east they didn't come out for a week and we had to put food and water in the smelly Eglu for them! Such pampered princesses
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Nov 19, 9:16 PM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 46,366 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi orangecrush (and anyone else lurking in the wings

Certainly does feel like it's been raining for months Our run is also like a swamp Although slightly less so now I had a good go at it today and removed all the smelly rotting hay and mud Urgh.

I am also delighted to report that I have FINALLY got the plastic roof and sides on the run SO pleased about this. Although of course it hasn't worked perfectly The top is flat, so of course the water has pooled in a couple of places and is finding its way through where we stapled and dripping down the beams. But at least it's only in a couple of places, rather than everywhere. And finally this afternoon I put the sides on too Scraped all the vile mud out, and put a load of fresh hay in, so I suppose time will tell whether it's good enough to last the winter...

The chickens themselves of course are fine - there are windows (yes, actual windows ) all the way round at ground level (as well as the mesh) so they can see out but are protected from wind. They also have a sheltered area at one end of the run protecting them from rain - it just means I practically have to crawl through the muddy bit to clean out the house With this new plastic we can remove most of the obstructions, and if it works well, I'll get some more and cover the other end, so then we can remove ALL of the mini roofing inside the run itself

I've also brought the chickens' porridge bowl inside this evening and given it a good clean out - the weather has been so vile I confess I've just been dumping the new porridge in on top of the old

The ladies are fine of course. They stay in their run through choice when it's really raining, and this afternoon when I came home three of them had found the greenhouse and were sheltering in there I do need to order some more food, must get on the case with that!

Hope you and your feathered ones are all good
    • edwink
    • By edwink 13th Nov 19, 10:19 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    edwink
    I found an all-inclusive cruise for literally half price, so I went for it, with my sister one of the places we went to was St Petersburg, which is proud of having only 60 rain free days a year I was completely soaked, twice: if you're touring a garden, then thats what you do
    I'm glad Hoppy and your hens are doing well, edwink, looking forward to the photos.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Proud of having only 60 rain free days a year OMG Sounds as though you enjoyed yourselves and yay! to a half price all inclusive cruise, despite the rain. Hope you packed wet weather gear to go.

Now to the photos. As laptop is working today I thought it is about time I got my long awaited photos on here and finally put my sewing down for one evening. BUT, and here is the big BUT. I can't log in to Postimage Grrr!!!. Why I don't know but they kept saying my password was wrong but I knew it was correct. So they sent me a new password and now that one won't work either Grrr!! So the only thing I could do was email them to find out what is going on. Maybe they have a problem with their homepage today, I dunno!!. Frustrating because I had earmarked tonight for getting quite a few of them on here. I do find it rather fiddly to do but once I get going with it I'm fine with getting them on here. I do find these photo hosting sites rather complicated for some reason. I used to use Photobucket but gave up with that because of the difficulties I was having. Then another mse member directed me to Postimage and I've been fine up till now, well sort of. How annoying not to mention how frustrating I'll have another go tomorrow

Buffy and Ginger are both moulting terribly - I got a huge fright when I went to see them yesterday as I thought a fox had visited, but no, they're just shedding! They look rather bedraggled, and it's really turned cold here so I hope they get their new feathers soon to keep them warm.

It feels like it has rained constantly for the last few months, and their run is turning into a mud bath. We need a large delivery of wood chips I think, and we already have rain covers on the run, but what else can I do to give them a bit more shelter? I suppose they can always go in the Eglu if it's extra cold!
    Originally posted by orangecrush
    Sometimes they do moult all of a sudden and when they do it can look awful, as if they have been in a massive fight but hens are clever little things really and easily regulate their body heat so don't worry they should be fine whilst their new feathers are growing. A good old bowl of warm porridge will keep them cosy on the very cold days. Temperature has really dropped here too

I am also delighted to report that I have FINALLY got the plastic roof and sides on the run SO pleased about this. Although of course it hasn't worked perfectly The top is flat, so of course the water has pooled in a couple of places and is finding its way through where we stapled and dripping down the beams. But at least it's only in a couple of places, rather than everywhere. And finally this afternoon I put the sides on too Scraped all the vile mud out, and put a load of fresh hay in, so I suppose time will tell whether it's good enough to last the winter...
    Hope you and your feathered ones are all good
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Well done on getting that job done Cheery. When we put tarpaulin over our coop several years ago it pooled in 4 big areas so we needed to go up there and push the rain off from the underside in all the 4 areas. This was a constant job so we started propping these areas up from underneath with fence posts to see if the rain would run off on its own but this caused other areas to collect the rain instead. In the end I made a hole in these areas and put huge buckets underneath to catch the rain and then within time the buckets overflowed. But, of course you can't catch the rain in buckets because of it now running down the beams. To be honest I don't know what to suggest at this stage. Will have to get my thinking cap on to see if I can think of anything that will help.

I Know what you mean about the about the vile mud as ours was the same because it was literately water logged. you will need to leave the hay down until it soaks up a lot of the damp from the ground underneath, then rake it all up and put a fresh lot down. Once you have done that the ground should be much drier for a new layer of hay which should hold out for quite a while if you manage to keep most of the rain out. That should do the trick Cheery

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 13-11-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Nov 19, 9:35 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    edwink
    Finally, finally got in to Postimage tonight. Sorry for a long wait to see my new girls everyone.
    Just a selection of pics I took on the day my new girls arrived with us........ But, first LOOK at my lovely NEW pink wellies... OMG so soon! Hee Hee. I don't mind really cos that's what they are for and I do give them a scrub before going indoors.

Couldn't get our hen carrier box in to our new car so had to transport 6 hens to a box. This hen is one of the more healthier girls. We were only given 4 with this amount of feathers.

Most of my new girls looked like this bald-ish little girl and sadly some were a lot worse than her. Bless her heart she looks so down and lost in this pic. It is sad seeing them like this but within a few weeks or maybe a month or so they cheer up, start running around a bit and they grow so much in confidence. I can see the difference in them already. bless 'em.

They soon learnt where their food was, sensible little things. We have 3 feeding troughs for them but 12 of them crowded round this one, why I have no idea.

You can see from this pic the way they hold themselves when they first arrive. Some look so traumatised but others cope much better.

I am pleased I finally managed to get some pics on here. I tried over the weekend but I still couldn't get on to Postimage. Maybe they were having a few problems, who knows but it was blooming annoying as I had all the pics ready and waiting to go on. Anyway was given yet another new password this evening and finally it let me in to get my photos on, yay!!. Have quite a few more photos I'd like to put on here so hopefully I should be able to put my sewing down and get that done now It's been so frustrating with Postimage this past week so I stuck my head in my sewing so I could calm down. I've bought a very plain-ish pair of dungarees and doing what I love best and that's jazzing them up so nobody in the whole wide world has a pair the same as mine Just like being unique I suppose, plus I do relax somewhat when sewing after a day outside with my little loonies. Talking of which, it took me 3 hours to clean their hotel and coop out the other day, 3 whole hours. What a mucky lot this lot are OMG they love their food so much and it certainly shows. Think it may be the numerous amounts of Meal Worms they get through every day. Got them started on porridge yesterday as it turned really chilly here, they nearly knocked me over all leaping at me trying to get to it first.

Hope you enjoyed the pics, will be more soon everyone.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; Yesterday at 10:04 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Nov 19, 10:54 PM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 46,366 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh edwink thank you SO much for sharing pics of your new ladies bless their little beaks, it makes me want to cry when I see some of the poor little things looking so downtrodden I remember the bare patches some of ours had, and I often shed a tear thinking of Bessie when I first put her on the ground and she looked so bewildered and immediately started scratching the soil and dust bathing. Poor little thing had probably never encountered soil before

I do wonder though - where do chicks grow before they start laying and are put into cages? Will they have had some taste of the outside before? Almost can't think about it, it's too awful

Anyway my ladies are fine - slightly perturbed today no doubt as they've been shut in the run all day while I've been at work. Oh well. Mr Cheery is home tomorrow so they can maraud(?) about the place as much as they like

I'll try to get some pics on here myself st some point
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 20th Nov 19, 12:07 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 2,908 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    It's lovely to see the photos of the new flock, they are very lucky hens. Sounds like you'll be cooking up mega batches of porridge. We used to boil up potato peelings and add in bran and then form into a ball and our chicken loved that.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Nov 19, 10:01 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    edwink
    It's lovely to see the photos of the new flock, they are very lucky hens. Sounds like you'll be cooking up mega batches of porridge. We used to boil up potato peelings and add in bran and then form into a ball and our chicken loved that.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe

That's a great idea thank you , I shall have a go at doing that for them. I've done similar with porridge and tiny pieces of dried fruit before but never with potato peelings and bran. I would imagine that those ingredients would stick together better too. Thanks again x

Hopefully I'll get some more of the long awaited pics on later today

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,545Posts Today

8,705Users online

Martin's Twitter