Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 24th Mar 14, 12:48 PM
    • 820Posts
    • 2,386Thanks
    Willowpop
    Where can an OAP bus pass be used?
    • 24th Mar 14, 12:48 PM
    Where can an OAP bus pass be used? 24th Mar 14 at 12:48 PM
    ..And don't say 'on the bus'

My dad has just qualified for an OAP buss pass which allows him travel on local buses up in Manchester.
    If he visits London, would he be able to use his bus pass on London buses? If so, is this unique to London, or can he basically travel on any bus in the country so long as it's a 'normal' bus and not a long distance National Express type bus?

I have tried to google and have got myself more confused than when I started!

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 31st Mar 14, 10:13 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Yes, someone did it back in 2008 taking 1 week and 6 hours:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1584546/From-Lands-End-to-John-oGroats-by-bus-pass.html

I suppose by gaps you mean services cut since 2010?
    Originally posted by Mids_Costcutter

Yes . Or frequencies drastically cut
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 7th Apr 14, 9:26 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    Tilt
    I read/heard somewhere that due to the massive cost of the scheme and the burden it puts onto many local authorities, there are plans in the pipeline to change the legislation or funding of the scheme.

In my area they used to be accepted on the open top tour buses but they stopped it after the OAP's were simply riding around on them all day which cost the council thousands of pounds in additional subsidy.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Apr 14, 7:23 AM
    • 33,884 Posts
    • 68,268 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Our West Midlands bus passes are valid on all local buses in England (after 0930) and all trams and trains within West Midlands county.

We often visit young friends in Oxford and use them there, also have used them in Bath when we went on holiday there last year. I have also used mine in Durham and Newcastle.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • tight scotsman
    • By tight scotsman 8th Apr 14, 12:01 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    tight scotsman
    I drive buses/coaches around Scotland and any OAP pass that is not issued by scottish council is not valid on any scottish bus/coach service. I get a few English / Welsh passes presented and the ticket machine will not accept them.
    You would not believe the verbal abuse i take when i have to take the full fare or advise them to purchase a day ticket.
    Someone told me a few weeks back that we are not independent yet and are still part of the UK they stormed of the bus calling me a racist.
    The long distance coaches get hammered in the summer months with groups of OAPs going from say Glasgow to Oban for a day trip. Leaving fare paying passengers stranded.
    The cost to the scottish govt is escalating out of control
    just because you are paranoid doesnt mean to say they are not out to get you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,828Users online

Martin's Twitter