Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 17th Feb 16, 10:51 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    Would love any tips on which games can be played by a range of ages, got the new version of game of life which has changed quite a bit and added extra bits, like miming etc which the kids loved. Kids are 5, 8, 13, and 17. Youngest can deal with game of life no problem.

Ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    You could try Castle Panic - this is a co-operative game (though can be played with an element of competitiveness by seeing who kills the most monsters in the event that you beat the game). It's one game which all ages can enjoy equally, and it is quite tense (in a good way) and exciting.
    • TheMoneySpider
    • By TheMoneySpider 18th Feb 16, 12:41 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    TheMoneySpider
    Is Axis & Allies any good?
    • magicguitarman
    • By magicguitarman 19th Feb 16, 12:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    magicguitarman
    For two players the game Patchwork is excellent, quirky and quick to finish.

I also recommend any and all of the games based on Terry Pratchett books, all excellent for more than 2 players and give you good laugh if you know the books.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 22nd Feb 16, 4:23 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    I bought Forbidden Island after reading this thread (supposed to be saving money!) and played it last night. Pretty easy to pick up, thought it was easy and we were set up to win but lost Fools Landing. Quite a clever game.

Fun game.
    • PecanPie
    • By PecanPie 27th Mar 16, 6:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PecanPie
    I absolutely love The Logo Board Game
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 27th Mar 16, 9:10 PM
    • 5,978 Posts
    • 25,842 Thanks
    redmel1621
    This thread makes for interesting reading, was always a big board game fan with my family when growing up and am trying to keep the kids into them as well.

Love the classics, but want to try some newer games as well.

Would love any tips on which games can be played by a range of ages, got the new version of game of life which has changed quite a bit and added extra bits, like miming etc which the kids loved. Kids are 5, 8, 13, and 17. Youngest can deal with game of life no problem.

Ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    Hi. I thought I would reply because my kids are similar ages. (5, 7, 13, 15). In all honesty we mainly play board games in the evening, after the younger two have gone to bed, but two games that we have successfully played with the younger kids are Jamaica and King of Tokyo.

Our current games collection consists of:
    Ticket to Ride
    Settlers of Catan
    Shadows over Camelot
    Pandemic
    K2
    The cave
    Discworld
    King of Tokyo
    Dominion
    Jamaica
    Fluxx

Plus we have all the 'regular types of game' Monopoly, Smart !!!, Logo, Risk, Chess, Articulate, Othello, Trivial Pursuit, guess who and more.......

As you can see we love our board games

I have on my 'to buy list' Small World, Carcasonne, Settlers Star Trek... and loads more actually

I use Board Game Geek, but I also like to watch DiceTower reviews on youtube

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

• heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 30th Mar 16, 1:15 PM
    • 8,038 Posts
    • 17,887 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Jungle Speed...it's amazing!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Starmer4PM #Bremainer
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 31st Mar 16, 12:06 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Is Axis & Allies any good?
    Originally posted by TheMoneySpider
    It is a more complicated version of risk - I like it, but you need other enthusiastic participants willing to give up at least a day to play it fully. Unlike Risk, there are a number of different types of units - naval and land based - which have different functions and limitations e.g. submarines for attacking ships, anti-aircraft guns etc. Takes a bit to get going but I'd say it is good for someone who likes risk and wants to take it to a higher level.
    A new game we've started playing is called Caverna - took a couple of hours to work through the rules, but once we got started it was great. Can be played on your own or up to 7 players. Basically a resource gathering game based on trolls living in caves. Worth a look.
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 6th Apr 16, 1:02 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    robbyfine
    Chess is my fave
    • Mammoth14
    • By Mammoth14 6th Apr 16, 8:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mammoth14
    Chess is the best board game ever
    • JasX
    • By JasX 7th Apr 16, 4:28 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    JasX
    Chess is the best board game ever
    Originally posted by Mammoth14
    you really should try something more modern....
    • maryapple1993
    • By maryapple1993 25th Apr 16, 7:57 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    maryapple1993
    I really like LOGO too. If you are looking for something strategic, challenging and extremely addictive, there is a co-operative board game called 'pandemic' which is great. You play against the board game rather than against each other.
    • luzy9090
    • By luzy9090 26th Apr 16, 10:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    luzy9090
    New board games:
    Codenames
    Pandemic Legacy
    Blood Rage
    T.I.M.E Stories
    Tiny Epic Galaxies
    Forbidden Stars
    7 Wonders Duel
    Mysterium
    Sapiens
    The Game
    • JasX
    • By JasX 26th Apr 16, 10:55 AM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    JasX
    I've played a few of these

New board games:
    Codenames - An excellent choice for top of the list, word association that both entertains competative gamers and my 74 year old mother can keep up with at christmas. Cheap too so very MSE

Pandemic Legacy - excellent but needs a regular group of 4 people to play the campaign over a period of months, not one you can dip in and out of

Blood Rage - People rave about it, I own it and haven't had it grab me

T.I.M.E Stories - Good but each campaign is essentially a 'can only play once' affair

Tiny Epic Galaxies

504 - not for those uncomfortable for mildly complex and changing rules

Forbidden Stars - a decent but long (4 hour) area control spaceship game

7 Wonders Duel - a nice 2 player 'long filler' game

Mysterium - This is fun, a mixture of cluedo style murder solving with abstract picture clue cards

Sapiens
    The Game
    Originally posted by luzy9090
    • francesprince
    • By francesprince 24th May 16, 1:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    francesprince
    Doom, fallout-4, overwatch are the games.
    • Luriya
    • By Luriya 24th May 16, 6:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Luriya
    sorta a board game, but not really cause there's no board, but if you guys have an xbox one I'd recommend The Jack Party Pack. There really is only three games worth it in the pack, from You Don't Know Jack, Fibbage, and Drawful, but there's something for everyone there. I would check it out for those looking for family game night or just hanging with friends as some games have anywhere from 2 plays or upwards to 15+ players
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 25th May 16, 8:09 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie
    I've played a few of these
    Originally posted by JasX
    My wife and I are playing through Pandemic Legacy and TIME Stories at the moment. Both are very different to traditional board games in that they offer a finite experience, and as a result are more narrative driven than other games.

Both would probably technically work better with three or four people, but we're having a great time just the two of us. You absolutely don't need the same group of people each play through for either of them, though it would be more desirable for TIME Stories than Pandemic Legacy. We played the first few games of Pandemic Legacy with four players and have played every game since with the two of us, and that works just fine.

It is worth noting that Pandemic Legacy is currently the top ranked game on Board Game Geek, which is no small feat. Having played through a lot of it I can absolutely see why that is. It is fantastic.

On a side note, personally I don't think the finite nature of these games should put people off buying them from a value for money perspective. You'll get at least 12 games out of Pandemic Legacy, though probably more, and the sheer quality of it will certainly not leave you feeling short changed. There is more of a value argument to be made against TIME Stories because you'll get between one and three play throughs for the base game and most expansions (the expansions being 20 each). That very much depends on how much you enjoy TIME Stories. Viewed like any other form of media or entertainment is still offers good value for money if you enjoy it.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 5th Jul 16, 10:34 AM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Topix is great for families - perfect for young adults.
    Labyrinth is also quite fun - gots to be very cunning.

Older games worth having:

Escape from Atlantis - The island is shrinking. Get your people to safety while battling sea monsters, whirlpools, octopus and dolphins.

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs - Escape from the valley without getting caught by dinosaurs. Sounds simple... not so much.

The London Game - Comes in many forms. Very similar to Taxi and The Great British Train Game. Start at a station. Visit others. Go back to home station, while dealing with closures, diversions and all sorts.
    Last edited by anotheruser; 05-07-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    • bargain_hunter87
    • By bargain_hunter87 6th Jul 16, 6:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bargain_hunter87
    Not technically a board game I know but Cards Against Humanity is just the best.
    • piggeh
    • By piggeh 6th Jul 16, 9:57 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    piggeh
    You should look for 'gateway games' as anything too complex is difficult to get going unless you are all avid board gamers. I have some games that looks really fun but my friends always get put off when you have to read the instructions in some depth before playing.

Ones I've found easy to grasp:

Castle of Mad King Ludwig
    Catan
    Ticket to Ride
    Dominion
    Carcassone
    Pandemic

7 wonders takes few play throughs but seems to be well liked at the moment.

Forbidden Desert/Island are both fairly cheap and well rated

I did buy 'The haunting at house on the hill' which looks really interesting but never persuaded anyone to give it a go. Similarly Smallworld is an area control type game but a bit different and again has been difficult to persuade anyone to play it.
    matched betting: 879.63
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,702Posts Today

8,118Users online

Martin's Twitter